The East Fife Thread

38 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Naysmith, King Kev dream team is the way ahead imho!!!
Would also keep Toro as part of the setup!!!

Cetainly be the fan's favourite choice, it might work. Think Kev would need to hang his boots up though to leave Bonnyrigg outwith the transfer window.

Would love it if we could attract Michael o' Neill (who did manage Brechin)or Kevin Thomson (but would likely be in for every full-time job), but they'll both think they are way above this level (thought either would've got the Dundee Utd job).

Dont want, Agnew, too far from his' house!

John Hughes has a habit of getting Fife Clubs relegated,

I thought the guy in charge at Elgin seemed quite an interesting character during lockdown, but he's not really kicked them on.

I saw Mixu Paatelainen at the game when we beat Cove 4-2, when DY was still in post, I thought then he was being sounded out for the job, when you think about what's available, might not be a bad choice.

Then again, as every signing we make seems to be from St Johnstone's B team, maybe that's the only phone number we have in the office, who runs them? A least he'll have worked with half of the players already!

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

Scott Agnew effectively downed tools halfway through the season for us, because we were not going to rip up his contract and let him f**k off to Airdrie, citing the “Fife is awfy far away from ma hoose” argument, only to rock up at Starks Park within the year!!!

He can do one, the lying little shitehawk!!!

I saw a lot of anger from EF over this. But it seemed to miss a fairly blatant point.

Playing part-time for EF and being assistant manager at full-time Raith Rovers are totally different. Aggy has a young family; so I can understand why he wouldn't want to be travelling from Ayrshire to Fife two nights a week. But doing it during the day just makes it like most other 'ordinary' jobs. And I imagine the pay at Stark's Park is a fair bit better too.

Anyway. Don't appoint him. I'd absolutely love to see him as our next gaffer :wub:

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I saw a lot of anger from EF over this. But it seemed to miss a fairly blatant point.

Playing part-time for EF and being assistant manager at full-time Raith Rovers are totally different. Aggy has a young family; so I can understand why he wouldn't want to be travelling from Ayrshire to Fife two nights a week. But doing it during the day just makes it like most other 'ordinary' jobs. And I imagine the pay at Stark's Park is a fair bit better too.

Anyway. Don't appoint him. I'd absolutely love to see him as our next gaffer :wub:

I thought when we signed him he was a bit of a mercenary. Always felt we should've been blessed that we had him as long as we did, rather than rue his departure. His playing career was in it's twilight, when the guy who managed him at both Dumbarton & St Mirren offers him a coaching job, nearer to home into the bargain. He left us for Airdrie, not straight to Raith. The way he engineered it wasn't great, but any one on here would do likewise, I dont hold it against him, that said where we are at the moment currently warrants someone with managerial experience, so it's a "No" from me, good luck if he does rock up at the Rock one day.

27 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Would love it if we could attract Michael o' Neill (who did manage Brechin)or Kevin Thomson (but would likely be in for every full-time job), but they'll both think they are way above this level (thought either would've got the Dundee Utd job).

Dont want, Agnew, too far from his' house!

John Hughes has a habit of getting Fife Clubs relegated,

I thought the guy in charge at Elgin seemed quite an interesting character during lockdown, but he's not really kicked them on.

I saw Mixu Paatelainen at the game when we beat Cove 4-2, when DY was still in post, I thought then he was being sounded out for the job, when you think about what's available, might not be a bad choice.

Then again, as every signing we make seems to be from St Johnstone's B team, maybe that's the only phone number we have in the office, who runs them? A least he'll have worked with half of the players already!

Never understood why Kevin Thomson has such a big reputation. He has managed for one season in a League where his squad's budget absolutely dwarfed everyone else, and he then left at the end of the season when his stock was at it's peak as it appears that budget is perhaps not quite as healthy this time around. 

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Never understood why Kevin Thomson has such a big reputation. He has managed for one season in a League where his squad's budget absolutely dwarfed everyone else, and he then left at the end of the season when his stock was at it's peak as it appears that budget is perhaps not quite as healthy this time around. 

Probably his Rangers connection gives him a bigger profile. Not sure he should've quit Kelty though, as he's maybe finding out now, you're quickly forgotten, I've always thought you were more likely to get a move up if you were currently in a job. 

And please, not Barry Ferguson! 

1 hour ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Andy Graham?

Met him in glasgow lovely footballing guy but doubt he has what it takes to manage us. A player we never signed mainly because he lives in the west coast.

for me toro and the lad Thomson as management would do and be in our budget no doubt? Though I’m sure Kevin smith name will get mention so will Gary naysmith to return.

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer
added more to my comment.

The next appointment is massive, get it wrong and we could very much end up in the Lowland League. Considering that the board thought that Crawford was the outstanding candidate without interviewing anyone else doesn’t fill me with confidence though. Giving it to Greig McDonald will be the cheap option and probably what we will do.

It’s a very young squad so we need experience at least to get us through the rest of the season.

6 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Don’t agree at all. We are punching above our weight being in the top half of league two. We have won one out of of four home games and that was an injury time penalty!! We have been extremely fortunate in our away games as Albion Rovers, Elgin, Stranraer and Annan will undoubtedly agree. We have four on loan players all 18 years old or under. Our tactics are such that we are playing with a back three and are continually vulnerable down our right hand side.

so all in all I for one am not sad to see Crawford leave. 

Fair enough.

You see much more of East Fife than me, as I'm an outsider looking in.

However, the three home defeats have all come against other sides in the upper echelon of the league, while your away form has been pretty solid.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Scott Agnew has a business out with football.I was told that if something crops up in his business that comes first before the football at Starks Park.

Couldn’t agree more this will be one of the most important decisions in the clubs history. The trap door awaits if the board get this wrong. To be fair the board have done reasonably well picking managers in the past. Surely they will invite applications and interview candidates of interest. I would take Gary Naysmith back in a heartbeat with King Kev his assistant. That’s maybe heart ruling head but seriously interview and here what people have to offer. Surely be money available as Dundee Utd will be due us compensation. We can’t just take the cheap option as there is too much at risk.

Can't believe some folk would take Naysmith back. He's no better than Crawford and a track record of failure in lower league football. Yes, he got us promoted back in the day, but he also got us relegated in the first place. He was soon found out on stepping up a league. A bad choice imo.

7 minutes ago, sneed hearn said:

Given the financial difficulties at the time,Gary Naysmith’s winning the league was a significant managerial achievement.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or not. Naysmith was sacked by QoTS and Edinburgh City. I simply don't think he would be a good option.

2 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Met him in glasgow lovely footballing guy but doubt he has what it takes to manage us. A player we never signed mainly because he lives in the west coast.

Doubt East Fife were ever really an option for Andy not because of where he lives, but due to him invariably having better options whenever he was moving. For most of his career he was either full-time or with part-time sides who were in the Championship or around the top of League 1. East Fife haven't really been in that bracket over Andy's career. 

Obviously can't be sure but I think he will be a good manager for someone at some point. He has made it clear though that he wants to play for as long as possible. He's had opportunities to take over at Alloa and opted to keep playing and I suspect he'll stick with it for a bit longer before trying management. 

Crawford comes across as a good guy and he speaks well but his teams generally look disjointed and play awful football. Would appear he perhaps struggles to get his ideas across. Maybe better suited to being an assistant but certainly don't think this is much of a blow for East Fife. 

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Fair enough.

You see much more of East Fife than me, as I'm an outsider looking in.

However, the three home defeats have all come against other sides in the upper echelon of the league, while your away form has been pretty solid.

Still don’t agree! Yes our three home defeats have been against other sides in the upper echelon of the league but should we not be looking to win these games. If not then we surely are punching above our weight being in the top half of the league. If you take the time to look at previous games on EFTV and see the chances missed by the opposition then you might change your mind.

2 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or not. Naysmith was sacked by QoTS and Edinburgh City. I simply don't think he would be a good option.

QoTS he had to cut the squad at EC he formed the squad that got promoted when at a meeting at EC he asked what his budget was for next season he was told he would not be there so he left

We need someone who can work with these youngsters