The East Fife Thread

Guest AberhillEnd
1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

The notion that we're going to be "relying" on the young players this year is really concerning. I understand the club wants to provide a pathway, and I support it, but you don't do that by saying "ah we've been relegated, now's the time!". The time for introducing the U20s into the first team is when we think they might be good enough for the first team.

I think only Walls, Newton, Healey and Cunningham are good enough but not for 36 games, they need to be used wisely with support or it could in fact set their careers back.

last season problems:

• the departures of players leaving and not replaced

• league got stronger from previous 2/3 seasons with Cove, Queens Park joining Airdrie, Falkirk where they can attract better players than what Clyde, Us could attract and in terms of wages etc.

• writing was on the wall since the betfred cup stages

• we didn’t have a Jack Hamilton type player

• Wallace leaving, returning and going in a huff didn’t help matters

this season problems:

• lack of transfers (we had 2x trialists v Hill o Beath there)

• too many youths that have oversee recent games

• we need replace a new squad and we are without goal scorer

• we don’t even know who the captain and vice captains are (unless we’ve gave pat slattery the captaincy from Kevin Smith)

• we haven’t announced a third strip unless it’s the same from previous season and going by Wikipedia there’s a home kit and third kit (away kit missing?)

• increase pricing for league 2

• fans happiness 

7 hours ago, troy said:

The club should be run in a professional manner on and off the park.

last season we played Falkirk and the goalkeeper gets sent off.Kevin Smith the captain on the day is substituted.At halftime Kevin Smith is out playing football with his son.Should he not have been in the dressing room offering encouragement.Would you see that happening under Dick Campbell .

When a managers job becomes available is not professional to select a short list and interview them then decide.Let a candidate show he wants the job.As somebody posted earlier it’s like “East Fife bowling club”

Surely that didn’t happen? Never mind Dick Campbell, any manager. A player, never mind the captain, having a kick about on the park with his young lad at half time wouldn’t even happen in the juniors

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely that didn’t happen? Never mind Dick Campbell, any manager. A player, never mind the captain, having a kick about on the park with his young lad at half time wouldn’t even happen in the juniors

It was not a ‘kick about’ Kevin was at the side of the park with his son. Speaking with Kevin that day it was clear that Kevin was not in SC plans to be playing the next season but Kevin was hoping to be still involved at the Club in a coaching role. That didn’t happen 

Stevie Crawford saying that the transfer market proving to be very difficult. He says everything has changed since covid saying you could normally get players to come to a higher level but now they are happy to play closer to home. It’s fair to say he won’t have a lot of money to tempt possible signing targets. Last season was the end of  a group of players that had been at Bayview for a while. Always going to be hard doing a major rebuild in 6 weeks. Fans will just need to stay patient and hope Stevie is able to attract 3 or 4 new additions. No point signing players in panic signings, we seen that old chestnut last year. I still believe Craw is a decent coach and I’m sure we’ll be competitive come the end of July when the real stuff begins. I’m sure he’ll have a few loans in mind to bolster numbers think we’re all asking a bit much expecting everything ti be sorted in 7 or 8 weeks since the season finished. A major rebuild will take time bigger clubs than us struggling to get players through the door. 

We have been relegated for months. Using time as an excuse doesn't cut it for me. 

Using the post covid hardship also doesn't cut it, every other team is in the same boat as us. 

The board not having a plan b last season when we looked dead and buried also doesn't cut it for me. 

This season we dont have a complete squad, we just played a game where the side 2 or 3 levels below us managed to field a bigger team and one not completely padded out with kids. 

Keeper wise we are sorted 2 decent keepers and one long term injured. (0 players needed) 

Defenders wise we have 5 if you include pat in this. We need another LB and definitely another couple CBs. (3 players needed) 

Midfield wise we have 6 players. 4 of these are kids out the academy and 1 of these guys is a long term injury. 2 CMs needed and another winger or 2 (3 players minimum needed) 

Striker wise we have 3. 2 of these guys spent most of last season injured so fingers crossed its not a repeat. We need a tall ST and probably another striking option to go with that. (2 players needed) 

That totals 8 players short yet we have 2 currently on trial... 

Alot of work to be done over the next 9 days for all in the club as no trialists can play in the premier sports cup. 

Whilst the Board are excellent at controlling the club's finances,they are totally abject at promoting the club commercially and more importantly ,entering into dialogue with the wider Levenmouth community. Unfortunately the Board is continuing to adopt a "they ken where we are" attitude whilst presiding over a substantial reaction in fan numbers.It is one thing for the Chairman to give the fanbase a periodic update on social media.We are the converted.Why is there never an appeal to the wider public.?
Although personally,I believe that changes are needed at senior Board level,the number 1 priority would be to appoint a Commercial Director part of whose remit would be to promote the Club in the wider community.
With a view to fostering a better understanding of the Boards and Fans concerns,the Supporters club have,or about to,write to the BOD suggesting a Fans rep on the Board.Be interesting to see the reply.

Having said all this,the club will NEVER prosper,until Neil Rankine/Johnston/Twigg sells their share in the Club.

All the words in the world can be spoken but for a long long time now the last paragraph above is the only relevant issue for EastFife,
I am hoping that the commercial plans of these people do not come to fruition.
We would seem to be reaching a perfect storm.
If it happens we need to gird our loins and fight back.

Not what I wish for, but if our silent owners have no interest in footballing matters, & only want our property, could there ever be a time in the future, where we may be better simply walking away from Bayview to get them to F**k? 

I know this would present challenges, but the future's not looking bright, Status Quo.

If only,walking away from bayview still means they would be major shareholders,when the railway gets started will bayview not be on prime land for houses,flats for commuters etc,maybe they would sell then but the developer would need to build us another stadium,just a thought 

Not what I wish for, but if our silent owners have no interest in footballing matters, & only want our property, could there ever be a time in the future, where we may be better simply walking away from Bayview to get them to F**k? 
I know this would present challenges, but the future's not looking bright, Status Quo.

They have had specific plans for some time. I’m sure things have happened that we’ll never know about.
Not long ago we were in a reasonable to good position in Div 1 with players who seemed happy to be at the club with a manager who seemed equally happy. Then it hits the fan.
I know that tentative enquiries have been made in the past x years to invest in the club or buy it and once proper research was done potential investors have been advised to walk away. That is fact.
With no disrespect to Kelly.. good luck to them… but come on!

4 hours ago, grant1903 said:

If only,walking away from bayview still means they would be major shareholders,when the railway gets started will bayview not be on prime land for houses,flats for commuters etc,maybe they would sell then but the developer would need to build us another stadium,just a thought 

Sorry, I meant in return for the shares. Stadium starting to look tired already. The obligligation we have to maintain the sea wall might affect any future development.

I know it's the only asset we really have, but maybe one day in the future we'll need to cut our losses (hopefully won't come to that). The current situation is slowly killing us off.

8 hours ago, Wee Jockie said:

They have had specific plans for some time. I’m sure things have happened that we’ll never know about.
Not long ago we were in a reasonable to good position in Div 1 with players who seemed happy to be at the club with a manager who seemed equally happy. Then it hits the fan.
I know that tentative enquiries have been made in the past x years to invest in the club or buy it and once proper research was done potential investors have been advised to walk away. That is fact.
With no disrespect to Kelly.. good luck to them… but come on!

It’s a pretty simple situation. We have a 51% owner. Do we really need a “potential investor”  who needs advise on what that means. This is a 2nd Div. football club. Due diligence could probably be done in a morning. The potential investor would need to buy 51% or get on his bike. 
Maybe they have a master plan. Invest money in the club, increase the value of the 51% and then buy it.

Unless one of us wins the lottery, or some madman with too much money comes along, can't see how we can change the situation.

A few years back an offer was made to the owners, thier reply, "that'll do for starters, when can we expect the rest?" 

All the due diligence wouldn't change that. They've an unrealistic figure in mind. 

It would appear we're stuck with this strangle hold slowly sucking the life out of the club.