The East Fife Thread

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I have absolutely no idea but off the top of my head I can’t really think of many situations like this one happening either 

Maybe not to the extent of Wallace where there's been a fall out but contracts are cancelled early all the time in the lower leagues. I wouldn't be shocked to see one or more of our own two year deals move on this summer and I can assure you we won't be asking clubs to pay us 5k for them. 

Just now, nofixedability said:

Darvel paid Forfar a five figure sum just this week?

Not the greatest example really, considering the boys running Darvel are pissing funds up the wall that other clubs don't have, and Forfar probably wanted to keep him. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Not the greatest example really, considering the boys running Darvel are pissing funds up the wall that other clubs don't have, and Forfar probably wanted to keep him. 

Yeah, but he was on a two year contract and we agreed to sell him for a fee. Similar a few years ago when Swankie refused to play for us , sold to Arbroath for a fee also.

1 minute ago, nofixedability said:

Yeah, but he was on a two year contract and we agreed to sell him for a fee. Similar a few years ago when Swankie refused to play for us , sold to Arbroath for a fee also.

Nearly 10k I’m sure

We also paid a fee for Wallace when he wanted away from Stranraer too

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Maybe not to the extent of Wallace where there's been a fall out but contracts are cancelled early all the time in the lower leagues. I wouldn't be shocked to see one or more of our own two year deals move on this summer and I can assure you we won't be asking clubs to pay us 5k for them. 

Exactly. We are in the same position with Ross Forbes still has a year to run but would imagine we are trying to mutually release him early if he can find a club.

It's fairly common practise. You aren't going to demand a nominal fee for EVERY player who has a year to run when the circumstances don't warrant that - much like the Wallace situation here.

1 minute ago, nofixedability said:

Again, Forfar wanted to keep these players and clubs out there were willing to pay your valuation. East Fife obviously didn't want to keep him as he was disruptive, they've realised nobody is paying 5k and got rid. 

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Again, Forfar wanted to keep these players and clubs out there were willing to pay your valuation. East Fife obviously didn't want to keep him as he was disruptive, they've realised nobody is paying 5k and got rid. 

Fair. But if they really pushed for it I’m sure they could’ve got something if Dumbarton really wanted him, which it looks like they did 

Wallace has done well to get another 2 year deal.  If he doesn't fancy it at Dumbarton he can down tools again until he gets a move to a Darvel etc, and if he gets injured he can continue picking up a wage.

It's obviously not ideal but when it comes down to it, if the choice is between having a torn-faced Ryan Wallace sulking around the club playing shite (when he can be arsed) and pretending to be injured the rest of the time and picking up what's bound to be one of our highest wages, or him just fucking off to Dumbarton... option B please.

30 minutes ago, fifer said:

Wallace has done well to get another 2 year deal.  If he doesn't fancy it at Dumbarton he can down tools again until he gets a move to a Darvel etc, and if he gets injured he can continue picking up a wage.

If Ryan Wallace decides that’s what he wants to do I’d be quite happy to see us get shot of him as quickly as possible. The same goes for any player who decides they want out. I certainly wouldn’t be in the tears and snotters mess some of the East Fife fans are over it. c***s on Twitter demanding investigations and all sorts.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If Ryan Wallace decides that’s what he wants to do I’d be quite happy to see us get shot of him as quickly as possible. The same goes for any player who decides they want out. I certainly wouldn’t be in the tears and snotters mess some of the East Fife fans are over it. c***s on Twitter demanding investigations and all sorts.

I agree.  Hence my arguement that giving 2 year deals to players who are not good enough to command a transfer fee is a complete waste of time and money, but it does ruin it for other players who would be willing to honour 2 year deals in return for the additional security it offers.  I guess it up to clubs to judge the character (honesty) of individual players when negotiating contracts.

Edited by fifer
Spellin

Just now, fifer said:

Hence my arguement that giving 2 years deal to players who are not good enough to command a transfer fee is a complete waste of time and money

It’s not really though. You dont HAVE to release them, you only do so when it’s in your best interests to do so. Some 2 year deals work out and some don’t, that’s just the risk you take. If they want away and you can get a fee for them then you’ll get one. With older players on a downward trajectory that most likely wont happen but it still doesn’t make a 2 year deal some sort of pointless excercise.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s not really though. You dont HAVE to release them, you only do so when it’s in your best interests to do so. Some 2 year deals work out and some don’t, that’s just the risk you take. If they want away and you can get a fee for them then you’ll get one. With older players on a downward trajectory that most likely wont happen but it still doesn’t make a 2 year deal some sort of pointless excercise.

In this case we did HAVE to release Wallace because his refusal to honour the contract forced us to.  If we was injured the club would not have had the same option.  We rewarded a senior player with a two year deal and when it did not suit him he worked his ticket until the club had no option.   For what its worth I would have released him at the start of last season when he was clearly unhappy with how things were going at EF.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No you didn’t. You chose to release him because it wasn’t working out. Big deal.

In life 'choice' is sometimes only a option for those who have the money to be able to choose.

3 hours ago, nofixedability said:

Darvel paid Forfar a five figure sum just this week?

But Darvel, Kelty and cove will pay clubs like East Fife, Forfar etc for current players as would championship teams. That’s nothing much of archievement when was the last time east fife or Forfar spent money on players?