The East Fife Thread

1 hour ago, fifer67 said:

There have been some pretty dire times supporting the Fife over more years than I care to remember but what has been allowed to go on in the last year is up there with the worst. Season 1996/97 last time we were in the 2nd tier lives long in the memory for how bad that was but the season gone by will even give that a run for it’s money. The summer recruitment was a disaster and there was no plan B in January. Agree majority of players need to go as the losing mentality that hangs around the club has to be broken. Crawford never stood a chance as he had to plough on with the majority of the squad that was put in place prior to his arrival. The lack of goals would drive any footballing enthusiasts away from the game. We had a decent team there for for 4 or 5 years but things have been in free fall since the first games back after COVID. Took 2 seasons to come up last time we got relegated I wouldn’t put money on that being improved on, but we can only hope that better days can return again. Hopefully the board learn lessons from our pre season planning last year and get  a plan put in place that has things ready to go for mid July. 

Really think harsh to be over critical of the board.Their hands are tied!

We have a majority shareholder, who has no interest in the club. He will therefore put no fresh investment in and would be happy to sell. However I have heard he wants an unreasonable sum of money for his shares.So the club is in no mans land!

So our directors have to run the club on a break even basis and have no flexibility for investment. We therefore have the smallest budget in the league, In reality we have been punching above our weight for years- although I do admit mistakes have been made by the Board!

Yesterday was 2 really poor teams. When Tonks came on for them he looked like a giant!. Only a 2-3 years ago, he was the young  raw boy surrounded by a fit Smith, Agnew, watson, Meggatt, Davidson , Dunnsy etc.

Yesterday, we looked like midgets , against a really poor Falkirk team who were stronger.How far we have fallen in such a short period of time!

i fear until our shareholder issue is resolved, we are doomed to league 2 for many years to come! 

Depressing really, but don't think our Board can be overly blamed here!

8 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Really think harsh to be over critical of the board.Their hands are tied!

We have a majority shareholder, who has no interest in the club. He will therefore put no fresh investment in and would be happy to sell. However I have heard he wants an unreasonable sum of money for his shares.So the club is in no mans land!

So our directors have to run the club on a break even basis and have no flexibility for investment. We therefore have the smallest budget in the league, In reality we have been punching above our weight for years- although I do admit mistakes have been made by the Board!

Yesterday was 2 really poor teams. When Tonks came on for them he looked like a giant!. Only a 2-3 years ago, he was the young  raw boy surrounded by a fit Smith, Agnew, watson, Meggatt, Davidson , Dunnsy etc.

Yesterday, we looked like midgets , against a really poor Falkirk team who were stronger.How far we have fallen in such a short period of time!

i fear until our shareholder issue is resolved, we are doomed to league 2 for many years to come! 

Depressing really, but don't think our Board can be overly blamed here!

The last figure I heard that  our never to be seen majority share holder was looking for was 500 grand. Now I don’t see many people in the Levenmouth area sitting with that in an overseas bank account. So likely we are stuck with what we have for the foreseeable. We have been a well run part time club under the current chairman for 7 or 8 years now but by their own admission it’s been getting harder to compete as players wage demands have increased. As you said we can only spend what is being brought in so we are way behind in terms of budget to teams who have board investment. Unless there is some way Rankine can be bought out I’m afraid it will be down to the good will of the board and supporters to keep the club afloat.

There may be a discrepancy between who is actually on contract for next season  and who will actually be employed by the club for next season but here goes.

Jude Smith,Scott Gallagher,Scott Mercer,Stewart Murdoch,Aaron Steele,Pat Slattery,Liam Newton,Connor McManus,Ryan Wallace,and former under 20,s Brogan Walls,Mikey Cunningham, Jack Healey.

I do not expect all these players to be on the payroll next season.

On 12/04/2022 at 09:02, 7 Eleven said:

EF have still to play one of them, so let’s see if you can work it like out for yourself. Might help keep your interest up in those final games.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Unlucky for the Fifers but am sure you will bounce back and be back in League 1 sometime soon.

Who do you boys have signed up for next season? 

6 hours ago, fifer67 said:

The last figure I heard that  our never to be seen majority share holder was looking for was 500 grand. Now I don’t see many people in the Levenmouth area sitting with that in an overseas bank account. So likely we are stuck with what we have for the foreseeable. We have been a well run part time club under the current chairman for 7 or 8 years now but by their own admission it’s been getting harder to compete as players wage demands have increased. As you said we can only spend what is being brought in so we are way behind in terms of budget to teams who have board investment. Unless there is some way Rankine can be bought out I’m afraid it will be down to the good will of the board and supporters to keep the club afloat.

If £500k is right, he is delusional!

Quite simply a colossal disaster of a season.

Getting relegated (deservedly so) is one thing, but when you consider the fact that we could be missing out on as many as eight money-spinning Fife derbies next season, it takes that disappointment to another level. 

So what happens next? Well now that relegation is confirmed, I suppose the board and Crawford will be able to start preparing for the new season, but I can honestly say I have very little, if hardly any confidence at all that we'll have a core group of players capable of getting us at least getting into the top 4. 

Wouldn't be disappointed to see the back of the entire team to be honest with you. Only ones worth keeping I'd say would be

Smith, Murdoch, Higgins, Steele, Millar, Denholm, Newton and Healy. Swanson's a decent player but will be on far too high wages for League 2 so he'd have to go and the others are either loanees or simply not good enough. One thing that was glaringly obvious to East Fife fans this season was the blatant lack of physicality within the squad and this MUST be addressed for the upcoming season.  

With regard to the principal shareholder, please remember that he set up a separate company to purchase the land outwith the stadium and owned by the club, and ..used his position as main shareholder to authorise the sale of the land for a figure of £115,000 .He has in fact asset stripped the club by not allowing the Directors of EF to market the land on the open market.

It also raises the question of why the Articles of the club , presumably, allow any one party to own more than 50% of the shareholding and basically call the shots.

Childish but Fife till I die. Gutted but obviously been inevitable for a while.
Haven’t been since beginning of the lurgy. First game of next season, no matter what I’m doin I’’ll travel to be there.
I’m faeMerhil.
Getting some vicious abuse cos of relegation.
Hic.. another whisky now

Thanks Sammytroot remembered your post when I saw it. From that list I would if possible let Gallacher go and get an experienced goalkeeper to bring on Young Jude Smith and possibly Murdoch might be looking to retire from playing because of injury and having a good job outwith football!

Pat Slattery does not seem to have been Crawford's favourite player.

With regard to players whose contracts expire this season ,I would not mind Ross Davidson being retained,subject to his injury being cleared up.I was also impressed with Danny Swanson's performance v Peterhead.Ultimately up to the manager to decide and for the players to consider any offer made by the club.

6 hours ago, sammytroot said:

With regard to players whose contracts expire this season ,I would not mind Ross Davidson being retained,subject to his injury being cleared up.I was also impressed with Danny Swanson's performance v Peterhead.Ultimately up to the manager to decide and for the players to consider any offer made by the club.

Sadly that does seem to be the case with Pat Slatt. I would definitely try to keep Davidson & now we've dropped down a level, Chris Higgins mayhave another season in him. Dunlop should also do well in league 2. 

Would love to see us push the boat out for someone creative which we've missed since Agnew left. Both Dylan Easton & Kallum Higginbotham have previously dropped down the leagues, but that's not likely to happen. Bobby Linn maybe? 

Why would potentially premiership bound Bobby linn drop down to league 2? Pretty loved at arbroath even if they stay in the championship. Easton and higginbotham dropped down due to the money on offer as well, I'm not sure east Fife could offer that level of money. Seasons not even finished and its silly season apparently. 

13 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Why would potentially premiership bound Bobby linn drop down to league 2? Pretty loved at arbroath even if they stay in the championship. Easton and higginbotham dropped down due to the money on offer as well, I'm not sure east Fife could offer that level of money. Seasons not even finished and its silly season apparently. 

As I said, Easton & Higginbotham were not likely, it's also unlikely we'll push the boat out anyway, think our budget will be tight. Bobby Linn previously played with us & I understand is now 35 & not been getting much game time at Arbroath, can't seen that him being a regular in the top flight, although I'd love to see Arbroath getting there. 

55 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

As I said, Easton & Higginbotham were not likely, it's also unlikely we'll push the boat out anyway, think our budget will be tight. Bobby Linn previously played with us & I understand is now 35 & not been getting much game time at Arbroath, can't seen that him being a regular in the top flight, although I'd love to see Arbroath getting there. 

With the right money etc then anyone is likely in fairness. I think if Crawford is backed he will get the players in but like at dunfermline may fall short tactically. I hope you do get back up to league 1 at the first time of asking but it will be difficult with what I assume will be a high turnover in playing staff etc 

7 hours ago, sammytroot said:

Yes, I agree but you always get a good honest shift out of Pat. Swanson might be too expensive for League 2 so I wouldn’t be surprised if he left. I also agree with the fact that we could do with a creative midfielder and also lack of goals from our midfielders has been a big problem since Agnew although the season he left his heart didn’t seem to be in it.

I don’t think Swanson was a good signing.He never looks fit and I can’t recall him having a shot on target.He’s a luxury item and we could do without.It’s strange how some fans see who we should retain after being impressed by one game. One good game is not a good return.
I would retain Davidson but no doubt he will probably go to Stirling.The club clearly needs a clear out.

I would not be signing Swanson again. He's not been a good signing whatsoever and likely on a healthy wage.

From the post above, the senior players apparently on the books are:

Jude Smith, Scott Gallagher, Scott Mercer, Stewart Murdoch, Aaron Steele, Pat Slattery, Liam Newton, Connor McManus, Ryan Wallace

For L2, I would likely keep them all minus Gallagher but I suspect he'll be staying as back up regardless. I suspect one or two might not want to stay for L2 but I guess we'll find out. Admittedly I've never been a massive fan of Newton but he's "fine". I'm happy to let Dunlop, Higgins x 2, Blair, Swanson, Smith (coaching role?), Semple and Brown go. I'd of course keep Connell but I suspect he won't want to stay as he's good enough for L1. Can Dunsmore do a job in L2 again? Probably but he's been off it for a while and guessing Crawford doesn't fancy him. As for the U20's I don't have strong views either way. I've enjoyed watching Healy when he's been in the team so maybe us dropping down a level could help him. 

Big summer ahead. Looking at the quality of League 1 for next season, the pyramid is starting to take hold (albeit very slowly given the L2 and Lowland League reluctance to increase relegation), if by some miracle we'd managed to stay up we'd probably have had another season of struggle. I sense we'll end up a bit of a yoyo team between L1/L2 from now on, more so than before, and that won't change unless there's an ownership change.

Fingers crossed Dumbarton come down with us so that my "away day" capabilities are boosted.