The East Fife Thread

21 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Is Aaron Dunsmore not under contract next season, he is a player Ian Murray has tried to sign twice for Airdrie....... Never really been that impressed with him though

I thought Dunsmore caused us some bother a few years ago and I’d happily have seen us sign him then but I haven’t been too impressed with him over the last couple of seasons. Like a few other East Fife players, he seems to have regressed and isn’t quite as good as he was. He was barely in the game at all today before being taken off. I was going to say that we’ve moved on from needing a player like him but we do like to sign East Fife players!

I didn’t see the East Fife v Airdrie game at Bayview but by all accounts Jude Smith was excellent that day. Is there a reason Scott Gallacher was playing ahead of him today? I’ve never really rated Gallacher and for me signing him on a two year deal was probably the worst bit of business East Fife did in the summer, though East Fife fans might know better. He wasn’t really at fault for anything in particular today but he never seems confident and I always thought out defence were a lot more on edge when he was in goals.

11 hours ago, 7 Eleven said:

Can anyone confirm if this list of players already contracted for next season is correct?

• GK - Scott Gallacher (32 y.o)
  • GK - Jude Smith (18)
  • D - Aaron Steele (19)
  • D - Pat Slattery (28)
  • D - Stewart Murdoch (31) - Injured 
  • D - Scott Mercer (26)
  • M - Connor McManus (25)
  • M - Liam Newton (19)
  • M - Liam Watt (27)
  • F - Ryan Wallace (31)

Two things, firstly I think it will be difficult to offload any of these players during the January transfer window. Secondly, that's a horrible looking squad to be taking into the SPFL2.

To be honest, along with some of the young lads like Dow, that doesn't look too bad a squad for league 2, there lies the problem!

Can't see Wallace sticking around if we go down & given his previous loyalty towards his players, I can see 2 or 3 of our squad ending up with Darren Young at Stirling.

Can anyone confirm if this list of players already contracted for next season is correct?
  • GK - Scott Gallacher (32 y.o)
  • GK - Jude Smith (18)
  • D - Aaron Steele (19)
  • D - Pat Slattery (28)
  • D - Stewart Murdoch (31) - Injured 
  • D - Scott Mercer (26)
  • M - Connor McManus (25)
  • M - Liam Newton (19)
  • M - Liam Watt (27)
  • F - Ryan Wallace (31)
Two things, firstly I think it will be difficult to offload any of these players during the January transfer window. Secondly, that's a horrible looking squad to be taking into the SPFL2.

Some of those players are decent, however their time is up with us and a major freshen up is required. Guys from that list like Murdoch, Wallace, Watt and Slattery have been decent but new blood is certainly required as ultimately these are the same players that failed to get us into the promotion play offs and are now the same players that are taking us to League 2.

The damage was done before the season started and most East Fife fans saw the writing on the wall so it’s not a great surprise we are where we are.

I would keep a hold of Jude Smith and Aaron Steele and that’s pretty much it.

I’m struggling to see how Stevie Crawford can improve this team.The team and games are getting worse as we go on.The confidence in the team has gone.Dunsmore does not look or play like he wants to be there.A complete rebuild needed .

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

I thought Dunsmore caused us some bother a few years ago and I’d happily have seen us sign him then but I haven’t been too impressed with him over the last couple of seasons. Like a few other East Fife players, he seems to have regressed and isn’t quite as good as he was. He was barely in the game at all today before being taken off. I was going to say that we’ve moved on from needing a player like him but we do like to sign East Fife players!

I didn’t see the East Fife v Airdrie game at Bayview but by all accounts Jude Smith was excellent that day. Is there a reason Scott Gallacher was playing ahead of him today? I’ve never really rated Gallacher and for me signing him on a two year deal was probably the worst bit of business East Fife did in the summer, though East Fife fans might know better. He wasn’t really at fault for anything in particular today but he never seems confident and I always thought out defence were a lot more on edge when he was in goals.

Three weeks ago we were forced to play a 17 year old goalkeeper against Cove because of players isolating, Gallacher was able to return last week against Montrose and so played yesterday. Goalkeeper Smith I assume was still isolating last week and possibly this week as well. I do think he is a better goalkeeper than Gallacher but the defence in front of them doesn’t help either of them.

Good to see Anton Dowds kick on and prove the doubters wrong.Arbroath lost their game when he was not playing.Plays for Falkirk scores a hat trick and makes one.If only we had somebody like that in our team.

2 hours ago, troy said:

I’m struggling to see how Stevie Crawford can improve this team.The team and games are getting worse as we go on.The confidence in the team has gone.Dunsmore does not look or play like he wants to be there.A complete rebuild needed .

To be realistic we have just played the top 3 teams in the league Cove away, Montrose at home and Airdrie away don’t think many fans would realistically have expected many points from those fixtures. However I thought last week against Montrose was worse than anything I’d seen in a home game this season. Some of the players mentioned probably been at Bayview too long and their career would benefit from a move. Airdrie fans raving about Craig Watson who has benefited from moving on, as not many East Fife fans were bothered when he left. Hopefully see Davidson and Swanson back next week any word on Connols suspension. Our season could be over next week if we get our usual away day spanking. Crawford doesn’t appear to be able to halt the losing culture that I’m afraid is all to evident players just seem to accept defeat without much fight. It’s all a pretty hard watch and unless we can bring in some players to freshen things up I’m afraid our pain and suffering will continue until the first week of May.

Going to be a barrel of laughs next week, eh? A bit of a must-win for both our sides, even at this stage.

We're without a home win in the league since beating you lot 5-0 in September, and you're without a win since beating us in October. Between us we've conceded 90(!) this season already. So at least there should be a few goals...

Edited by Jan Vojáček

8 hours ago, troy said:

I’m struggling to see how Stevie Crawford can improve this team.

There are three main ways that a manager can improve a team:

1. Improve the squad through transfers - always the easiest option if recruitment is planned properly. It seems that this isn’t an option during this window as the manager needs to get players out before more can come in (I make it ~25 players currently in the 1st team).  I am 99.9% certain that the playing budget was cut for this season & that is the main reason the team is where it is.
  2. Improve individual players through coaching - I’m not convinced that a lot of these players can be coached. For example, can Slattery learn how to defend 1v1 at 28 years old? Can Mercer be coached how to defend in his own penalty area at 26 years old? Etc. Also, with limited coaching time, staff, resources & priorities during the season makes this a bit unrealistic. The players individually show a complete lack of game intelligence on a weekly basis. Basic things that you learn playing boys club football. Mistakes that cost goals & ultimately cost games.
  3. Get better performances from the same set of players through tactics - I can’t see this happening as SC is going through all the same cycles as DY has already tried: trying to contain teams for 60 minutes then going for it in the last 30; sitting deep then trying to play on the counter; getting the ball up to the forwards as quickly as possible; plus trying various different formations & player combinations. To be fair he hasn’t tried a high press yet, but I’m sure he already knows how that would turn out. The players are not fit enough for it, opponents are already exposing the full back areas, & Chris Higgins doesn’t like playing too high up because he knows he’ll be exposed in behind, plus if Gallacher is the goalkeeper he isn’t going to leave his 6-yard box. SC is still going through the process of working out that he can’t play a back 4 unless Murdoch is at RB; he can’t play with only two CMs & he can’t play with one up front. Every week it takes him to work this out is another game chalked off in terms of survival.

I really feel sorry for SC, GM & the other coach who have came in as they have walked into a horrible situation out with their doing. The only people who can turn this situation around are the players. Starting by taking responsibility for where the team are. They spent months happy hiding behind DY taking all the flack. Well he has gone & the situation hasn’t changed at all. I doubt many will care if East Fife go down. They will just move on to another club while it’s the fans, staff & volunteers behind the scenes who will have to carry on regardless. The Board need to take their share of the blame too. There needs to be an immediate review of current practice at the club and some coherent direction as to where it wants to go.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Going to be a barrel of laughs next week, eh? A bit of a must-win for both our sides, even at this stage.

We're without a home win in the league since beating you lot 5-0 in September, and you're without a win since beating us in October. Between us we've conceded 90(!) this season already. So at least there should be a few goals...

Those are some hilariously bad stats. You forgot to mention that we haven’t won away from home since I think March when we beat an already relegated Forfar.

It’s going to be a classic.

8 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Three weeks ago we were forced to play a 17 year old goalkeeper against Cove because of players isolating, Gallacher was able to return last week against Montrose and so played yesterday. Goalkeeper Smith I assume was still isolating last week and possibly this week as well. I do think he is a better goalkeeper than Gallacher but the defence in front of them doesn’t help either of them.

Goalkeeper would be the most obvious place to start squad improvement, but the fact that both Gallacher & Smith are under contract until May 2023 will be a problem. Maybe SC can look for a loan till the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Those are some hilariously bad stats. You forgot to mention that we haven’t won away from home since I think March when we beat an already relegated Forfar.

Sake. I was saving that one to use in the stream :lol:

Stoppable force v moveable object.

23 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is Aaron Dunsmore not under contract next season, he is a player Ian Murray has tried to sign twice for Airdrie....... Never really been that impressed with him though

22 hours ago, Mr November said:

Watch Dunsmore on Airdrie’s second goal yesterday. This pretty much sums him up for me. He doesn’t cover himself in much glory on the third goal either. A change of club would probably do him some good tbh, but agree that Airdrie probably don’t need him now.

14 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Forget classic- we somehow need to win it!- there lies the challenge.If we lose the cast of relegation I fear is truly set. If we win it , the opportunity to be in the relegation play-offs are still alive. Just , somehow win it…..

Manager of the same opinion as the fans he saw things during that first half he didn’t like can only be talking about the application and willingness  to fight for the cause.. Hopefully he sits them down at training tomorrow night and asks them who wants to stay and fight for the jersey. Hopefully Stevie shows the door to the players he feels aren’t giving him their all.