The East Fife Thread

12 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Great memories from his time with us

Genuine question here - other than a good result or two against Raith what was so great about his tenure? Mid table medioicrity isn’t to be sniffed at these days, especially with the trap door, but from the outside looking in his spell with East Fife looks fairly average. 

Genuine question here - other than a good result or two against Raith what was so great about his tenure? Mid table medioicrity isn’t to be sniffed at these days, especially with the trap door, but from the outside looking in his spell with East Fife looks fairly average. 

We’ve had plenty ups and downs with Young but I think over the piece and without significant investment he probably took us as far as he could and we only missed out on the play offs a couple of times. You could obviously look at that both ways, and say finishing 5th is pretty average so I suppose I’m agreeing with you.

Had we got in to the play-offs then, who knows but we have gone backwards quite considerably and he left us in a mess with a lot of players perhaps reaching the end of their cycle with us now and a big overhaul is required.

Young was touted for Championship jobs when we were doing reasonably well, but now that his stock has fallen he will need to rebuild his reputation a bit and Stirling will be a good fit for him and wish him well.

39 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We also had some good results in the cups, Dundee Utd, QoS, Morton, a trip to Dublin & one of my own personal favourites, beating Hearts, albiet on penalties. The way we are positioned just now, I'd gladly take mid table mediocrity.

2 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Thoughts on him? 

Average. The thing is, in the beginning he built a really good team. A really good team.  A team capable of beating teams above us and we should have been challenging for the play offs but we always fell short. We had some good times (beating Raith consistently and the trip to Dublin for the game that never was. Highlight for me was beating Raith rather easily at Starks. That day will live with me till I die and that's why I'll remember Darren Young. He always gave the impression he thought he was better than he actually was though, hence applying for the odd full time job higher up. He wasn't.

All that aside, decent fella, average manager and I wish him well.

9 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Consistently?

His record against the Rovers was -

Played 13, Won 3, Drew 2, Lost 8.

Rovers scored 30 goals against East Fife over the 13 games.

3 wins is good enough. I've erased the defeats from memory. They never happened!

11 hours ago, fifer67 said:

The mysterious way football works odds on Stirling Albion beating us in the play offs. Good luck to Darren a couple of bad transfer windows and the loss of key players ultimately cost him his job at East Fife. 

Right now I'd bite your hand off for Stirling Albion in the play offs!

On 20/12/2021 at 22:49, fifer67 said:

The mysterious way football works odds on Stirling Albion beating us in the play offs. Good luck to Darren a couple of bad transfer windows and the loss of key players ultimately cost him his job at East Fife. 

This for me sums up the situation, especially loss of key players. 
Sometimes the issues are out-with the managers control 

On 20/12/2021 at 22:49, fifer67 said:

This for me sums up the situation, especially loss of key players. 
Sometimes the issues are out-with the managers control 

Edit, I wish the Fife all the best today.

I’ve generally had a good crack with some of the Fife fans and that creates a soft spot for a club

If all these players with COVID have to isolate for 10 days next Sunday looks a disaster already. COVID numbers going to go of a cliff after all the Xmas mixing. Not sure how long football will be able to continue madness voting to continue when it’s blatantly obvious how bad things are going to get. 

43 minutes ago, Sunshine Fifer said:

Atleast Dunbarton lost ! Getting worried , lack of goals and heads gone moments are doing us in !! Hopefully Craw getting it sorted before it’s too late 

Unless the manager is able to attract 4 or 5 decent signings there is no way that group of players have a fight in them. That today was diabolical just rolled over and allowed Montrose as much time on the ball as they wanted. The difference in the work rate off the ball was nothing short of criminal. I bet if u tracked the distance the Montrose midfield covered it would have been double the distance our midfield covered. Nearly every 50 50 tackle we came of 2nd best. The sending off was for foul and abusive language that will put him out for 2 games. Our crowds are already less than 500 but if we play football as negatively as that there will b a hell of a lot less. 

29 minutes ago, sammytroot said:

I think part of the manager's problem will be to get players out of EF before he can get players in.Darren Young showed far too much loyalty to certain players who should have been long gone.

Just a thought .. believe it or not 5 of that Montrose team today played in the relegation play-off v Brora. A decent manager can make a huge difference.