The East Fife Thread

6 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

From the outside looking in I'm surprised DY hasn't worked out this season. Not so long ago, when we ultimately ended up with Hopkin, I would have been quite content to see him given a chance at Ayr. What has gone wrong this year, is it a lack of financial backing, or too many big spenders in the league now swallowing up the talent? 

I’ll be honest, I’ve always been fairly surprised at how many jobs he was linked with. Am I right in saying he never managed to take East Fife to anywhere above 5th placed in the league? He hasn’t done particularly bad but he never exactly excelled and he must have had a few really decent budgets over the years given some of the players he signed.

Ultimately the team has been losing goals for fun and any manager worth their salt would have addressed the issue. We have just kept making the same mistakes week after week . Look at Clydes 3 goals on Saturday no other professional team in Great Britain would defend like that. The board have given him a lot of time to turn it around but the manner of that defeat on Saturday gave me a sleepless night the lack of fight hunger and desire was shocking in a game of that magnitude. Probably give the new manager or 6 games to assess the squad before January window. Still plenty games to turn things around. No point speculating who new manager will be but Paul Smith Raith Rovers assistant boss a good shout or Ross Campbell Montrose assistant boss looks a brilliant motivator of men. Albion Rovers manager doing a decent job as well. 

4 hours ago, troy said:

Is it not better to look at how his team is performing and what their fans think of their play before quoting his name.I don’t think Edinburgh City are doing that well.

I didnt quote his name, I was replying to another's suggestion. Purely basing this on his previous period in charge of ourselves of course. We have had a decent 6 years or so at Bayview, albiet from a low ebb & the foundations for this came from Gary's time in charge.

Our biggest problem is recruitment. Winners at this level have enough about them to put a shift in without encouragement from the gaffer. We have been financially struck at some point, has the covid fine effected us majorly? It seems after the McGuigan news we were instantly desperate and started chasing Weah but got stuck with Osie-Bunsu who isnt a forward either. We have been great in terms of planning last few seasons but that wasn't there this season. Dundee Utd away, 3 wins against Raith, Cup runs etc some of my best memories as a Fife fan but it was time for a change 2 months ago. 

With the club posting profits of £170K plus for the year ending 31 May 2021,were the club correct in not supprting the manager for the players he had identified for the current campaign?

The lack of investment in the squad certainly didn’t help Young as we knew very early on that the squad was considerably weaker this season than last. However, it’s reassuring to know that the club is a pretty healthy position, so we either recruit well in January, which at this level is very rare or we have the ability to overhaul the squad in the summer whether that be in League 1 or 2.

My preferred choice for the job would be either Crawford or Kettlewell, if of course they are even interested.

20 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

Come on all you guys let’s have some rumours/suggestions for our next manager. We don’t want managing failures such as Naysmith, Peter Grant, Solsjaer etc so come up with credible names.

Certainly a big call for the board get this wrong and the consequences don’t bear thinking about. Any managerial appointments is a gamble and a lot obviously depends who fancies managing in the 3rd tier. Out of the names being mentioned I’d probably be happy with Kenny Miller or Stevie Crawford. Stevie Crawford has a lot more experience than when he was East Fife manager back in the day. Will the board take the option of appointing guys already at Bayview Stevie Frail with Kevin Smith his assistant. Who ever it is we need someone to motivate and galvanise a squad who are lacking in confidence and accountability. The current board have in the whole did well with recent managerial appointments well just need to trust they make a decent call again. 

Scottish Cup weekend almost upon us and if Cove weren't playing I'd be going to Spain Park to watch Banks o Dee Vs East Fife. Should be an interesting game for the neutral assuming the NE weather doesn't spoil it.

East Fife will be favourites, and I hope they progress, but will need to play well to do so and importantly be tight at the back. I've seen Banks o Dee a fair bit over the years and they have goals in their side. Buglass, Philipson, Henderson, MacLeod and a few in midfield can chip in with goals. Although a junior side currently, they are on par with the better/best Highland league sides such as Fraserburgh and Brechin. They'll come up to the HL next year I reckon given the pyramid change to allow promotion from the 6th tier.

Enjoy your away day and hopefully we'll both be in the draw for the next round!

Edited by CoveRangers1922

We were very lucky in getting Gary Naysmith given his professional career. I would be disappointed with Grant based on his recent tenure but he must have something about him and also would have contacts in our catchment area. Kenny Miller is unrealistic for me and keeping on anyone currently at the club seems pointless given our situation. Crawford? Loves attacking football but doesnt seem to have ever taught a team how to defend.

Realistically, I would take Martin Canning. Done okay at Accies on sawdust and wouldnt be chasing any big dollar. He would also know alot of hungry young players perhaps not making the first team at Accies. Cowdenbath seem to have grounded since their policy on giving young managers a chance so that route doesnt seem helpful. We just have to see who is interested. 

With having a host of big names available do you think we would be able to afford the likes of

-mark mcghee

-mixu Paatelainen

-gus McPherson

-terry butcher

Even Derek mcinnes but think that's a no no

Do we go for a manager of this calibre or is that way out our reach?? 

57 minutes ago, Davie86 said:

With having a host of big names available do you think we would be able to afford the likes of

-mark mcghee

-mixu Paatelainen

-gus McPherson

-terry butcher

Even Derek mcinnes but think that's a no no

Do we go for a manager of this calibre or is that way out our reach?? 

McInnes would be interesting, but probably see himself as above us & he's doing a lot of Sportscene just now. The other 4 have all been away from Scottish football for while, with the exception of McPherson, who is Morton manager. Mixu is probably quite realistic given he's been seen at Bayview & appears to be looking to get back into our game.