The East Fife Thread

This is all a bit shit really, isn't it?

As I said on the match thread yesterday, I think Young needs to go but I wouldn't expect anything to improve for the next 6 weeks if he does because the recruitment just wasn't good enough in the summer. We're going to need a miracle January window to stay up. 

8 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

This is all a bit shit really, isn't it?

As I said on the match thread yesterday, I think Young needs to go but I wouldn't expect anything to improve for the next 6 weeks if he does because the recruitment just wasn't good enough in the summer. We're going to need a miracle January window to stay up. 

It’s been clear for months that we need a new manager with some fresh ideas so I think a new manager coming in now would give us an initial lift. The way things are going we are going to League 2, and very disappointed that the board are quite content to allow this to happen.

The summer recruitment was bang average but we have a few players who are more than capable of dragging us out of this situation with a new manager as it’s clear Young can’t do it anymore.

Managers naturally just come to the end of the their cycle with clubs and things have gone stale and will soon become toxic.

Next week could be embarrassing for the club, I would like a change to be made ASAP and give the new guy some time before January to assess the squad and try to keep us up. 

Correct decision, albeit about 3 months too late.
Young has been a very good manager for us and brought us a lot of highs including the Raith victories, but things were at a natural end and he couldn’t turn things around this season.I’m sure he will be back in football again soon. 
This might be the shot in the arm that everyone at the club needs. It will be a pretty appealing job for a lot of coaches out there. 

Not entirely surprising given yesterdays result. Still think not much will change performance/results wise until January, we'll need a fair few signings to get out of this. Not sure who I'd want us to go for, guess we'll open it up to applications. Wonder if Frail will fancy a stab. 

Would like to take his chance to thank Darren for the last 4 years. Some incredible highs in that time and our inconsistency often made things even more exciting. This past year though things haven't been good enough. We could blame injuries & the pandemic, but the fact is the team we have should be doing a lot better and some of that blame has to lie with the manger. As has been said before, managers have a shelf life & 4 years is a long time in charge of a club these days.

This weekend was not only disappointing losing to Clyde, but with Dumbarton & Peterhead also winning, could well be a weekend we look back to as pivotal. We looked like we were turning a corner & were had eaten into the defict, but as Clyde are showing, you can get away with being shite for weeks, as long as you win your 6-pointers.

God knows who i'd like to see come in, until a couple of weeks ago, I'd have said John Hughes. I was curious as to why Mixu Paatelainen was at our recent Cove game though, anyway, thanks for the memories DY. 

31 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Not a great surprise-L1 is an incredibly competitive League. Dazza signed a 2 year contract at the end of last season. I wonder how costly that was for the EF Board.

Not as much as you'd think. I believe we only have to pay around 8 weeks salary. That's if we sacked him, the statement only says, "parted company".

4 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Not as much as you'd think. I believe we only have to pay around 8 weeks salary. That's if we sacked him, the statement only says, "parted company".

Unless DY consented to this, you'll probably be paying him until he picks up gainful employment or until the contract expires.

8 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Would like to take his chance to thank Darren for the last 4 years. Some incredible highs in that time and our inconsistency often made things even more exciting. This past year though things haven't been good enough. We could blame injuries & the pandemic, but the fact is the team we have should be doing a lot better and some of that blame has to lie with the manger. As has been said before, managers have a shelf life & 4 years is a long time in charge of a club these days.

This weekend was not only disappointing losing to Clyde, but with Dumbarton & Peterhead also winning, could well be a weekend we look back to as pivotal. We looked like we were turning a corner & were had eaten into the defict, but as Clyde are showing, you can get away with being shite for weeks, as long as you win your 6-pointers.

God knows who i'd like to see come in, until a couple of weeks ago, I'd have said John Hughes. I was curious as to why Mixu Paatelainen was at our recent Cove game though, anyway, thanks for the memories DY. 

Agree with what you say. Overriding feeling is ,although inevitable ,is one of sadness. As you say had some great moments the past 4 years, beating teams above us regularly and of course breaking the Raith hoodoo .

The current team, whilst ravaged by injuries this season is miles behind DY’s best team over the 4 years. That for me is the big unanswered question . No one can doubt his ability to sign quality players whether on loan or permanently, but signings this summer have been well below his usual standard. Was the budget cut post pandemic? What happened?

Anyway the buck always stops at the manager. Re the new person who knows. The attractions of our club is the family atmosphere and culture and the wonderful people who work behind the scenes. The negatives are , the worst stadium in league 1, one of the lowest if not the lowest budgets in the league and a shareholder ownership structure that is designed for failure.

9 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Would love to see Gary back, this journey all started with him.

Is it not better to look at how his team is performing and what their fans think of their play before quoting his name.I don’t think Edinburgh City are doing that well.

From the outside looking in I'm surprised DY hasn't worked out this season. Not so long ago, when we ultimately ended up with Hopkin, I would have been quite content to see him given a chance at Ayr. What has gone wrong this year, is it a lack of financial backing, or too many big spenders in the league now swallowing up the talent? 

9 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Yet more proof that football fans will believe any old shite. Why would Darren Young agree to a contract that sees him pick up much less than he's legally due in the event he is sacked?

7 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

From the outside looking in I'm surprised DY hasn't worked out this season. Not so long ago, when we ultimately ended up with Hopkin, I would have been quite content to see him given a chance at Ayr. What has gone wrong this year, is it a lack of financial backing, or too many big spenders in the league now swallowing up the talent? 

Difficult to answer who's to blame really. But it's down to this summer's recruitment. Folk can have their opinions on DY's tactical nous as a manager but generally his recruitment over the past few years has been very good but unfortunately not this summer. The team is very unbalanced and will need a lot of work in January. 

It's difficult to know if it's entirely his fault. There may well be issues with the budget or some mistakes made at board level, we're not entirely sure. Ideally we'd get some form of statement from the board about it all because they have been remarkably silent but I guess looking at how well recent statements from other clubs (see Dunfermline et al) have went with fans they might just want to avoid it.