The East Fife Thread

27 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

Here's the thing. Absolutely no-one listens to you, you utter moron. Not even the stewards it would seem, although I find your tedious little story a bit far fetched.

School tomorrow. Get to yer feckin bed.

Thanks “stevo” cool username by the way for a 50 year old x

What’s going on at east fife these days? Had a decent team last few years

Had being the key word.

Our squad needed a bit of a freshen up after failing to reach the play-offs so we moved on guys like Agnew and Watson who had been pretty important for us but their influence had started to wain.

I think our first signing of the pre season might have been Marc McGuigan which I’m sure most Fife fans would have been happy with as that would have meant a front pairing of him and Ryan Wallace and for League 1 that’s pretty strong. A few days later McGuigan retires from football and weeks later Wallace decides that he wants to spend time with his family leaving us a strike force of Kevin Smith and Sean Brown. Smith has been a great servant for us and was likely going to be a bit part player as he comes to the end of his career and had struggled with injuries over the last few years. Brown, came in from East Stirling and League 1 looks too much of a step up. We brought in Kyle Connell from Killie on loan who has been crocked for weeks leaving us very light. So from going from having your top 2 options unavailable we are playing our 3rd and 4th choice and even 5th choice in Osei-Bensu.

Onto midfield, Agnew was great for us but like I said was less influential over the last year or so, so we had to freshen it up. Danny Swanson was meant to be our play maker but we haven’t seen much from him due to injuries and brought in Conor McManus from Stranraer, who by all accounts has been underwhelming. Ross Davidson is our more defensive minded midfielder but haven’t had him all season so we’ve missed him. We brought in Kieran Miller who is ok, but we will be stronger with Davidson.

Liam Watt and Danny Denholm are decent wingers but think we needed more options, as neither are prolific scorers and might get you around 10-15 goals between them for the season. Aaron Dunsmore’s form has dropped off a cliff over the last few seasons and he might have been a player who would have benefited from moving on in the summer.

Defensively, our centre backs in Ross Dunlop and Chris Higgins are approaching the end of their careers now, and are making a lot of costly mistakes, we brought in Daniel Higgins from Cove so he might make a difference and Aaron Steele might improve things given time. Scott Mercer is an ok right back, likewise Pat Slattery does a job on the left but our strongest defender Stewart Murdoch is injured. Our failure to sign a proper left back since Gary Naysmith has puzzled me.

Onto goalkeeper. Last season we had Brett Long and Jordan Hart, both more than capable keepers at this level and disappointed to see them both leave in the summer as we have replaced them with a weaker keeper in Scott Gallacher.

Hopefully when we have a few bodies back from injury i.e Connell, Swanson, Slattery, Davidson and Murdoch we should see improvement but ultimately the manager made the decision to bring in these players and still feel a change is needed.

Just listened to the podcast, great as ever guys!

Robbie Muirhead, Anton Dowds & Jack Hamilton all mentioned as possible loanees. To be honest we'd need all three. We were at our best under Darren when we had the option of changing the front 2 during the game, those 3 alongside Smith, might give us hope.

Let's hope for a few rabbits out of the loan hat over the next couple of days, or we're doomed.

30 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Yeah, that's correct. I don't know if he could change teams again in January. 

I think he can - Kai Kennedy was on loan at Inverness until January last season then joined the Rovers until the end of the season.

Apologies. The way I read your post was that these loan deals were imminent.

Edited by Specky Ginger

21 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I think he can - Kai Kennedy was on loan at Inverness until January last season then joined the Rovers until the end of the season.

The way I read your post was that these loan deals were imminent.

Jack Hamilton went on loan to Arbroath for the second half of last season too

11 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Aye but Dowds has already played for Falkirk & us this season, and pre covid you could only play for 2 clubs in 1 season. This was relaxed to 3 last year (Jack Hamilton for example), but I’m not sure if it’s changed back.

So what your saying is bring back Covid so we can get dowds?

Nothing against anyone on the East Fife board but the silence is absolutely mind blowing. Are they happy to accept abject failure of the highest order.I know they are fans like the rest of us but come out and tell us what they are seeing that doesn’t warrant a change. It’s is absolute madness to just allow the same things to carry on from week to week, surely something has to change. It is the manner of the defeats if we lose the first goal the game is over as a contest. The same defensive lapses week after week 3 games without a goal or barely a shot on goal. Surely something has to change if you just allow the same thing to go on week after week the end product and result will be the same. Surely the board must have discussed the shocking run of results and when change is needed. Let’s hope someone has the decency to give the supporters a bit of communication because the fans have a lot of questions that need answered. 

2 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Nothing against anyone on the East Fife board but the silence is absolutely mind blowing. Are they happy to accept abject failure of the highest order.I know they are fans like the rest of us but come out and tell us what they are seeing that doesn’t warrant a change. It’s is absolute madness to just allow the same things to carry on from week to week, surely something has to change. It is the manner of the defeats if we lose the first goal the game is over as a contest. The same defensive lapses week after week 3 games without a goal or barely a shot on goal. Surely something has to change if you just allow the same thing to go on week after week the end product and result will be the same. Surely the board must have discussed the shocking run of results and when change is needed. Let’s hope someone has the decency to give the supporters a bit of communication because the fans have a lot of questions that need answered. 

Not sure what they can say ? They can say yes we are disappointed. Things need to improve , Not sure any of that helps., They have to back the manager publicly  until they don't back the manager - nothing to be gained by raising any misgivings publicly. As you say they are all fans and we all know there will be much heartfelt debate in the boardroom . We did have a dreadful  run  before and then we went something like 10 games without defeat( yes agree this team feels incapable of that!)

They could come out and talk about our injuries, bad luck re McGuigan and Wallace- but all that will sound like excuses….only a few days left to closing of the loan window- hope all efforts on getting some quality loan signings- after first quarter you would expect some form of communication.

30 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Not sure what they can say ? They can say yes we are disappointed. Things need to improve , Not sure any of that helps., They have to back the manager publicly  until they don't back the manager - nothing to be gained by raising any misgivings publicly. As you say they are all fans and we all know there will be much heartfelt debate in the boardroom . We did have a dreadful  run  before and then we went something like 10 games without defeat( yes agree this team feels incapable of that!)

They could come out and talk about our injuries, bad luck re McGuigan and Wallace- but all that will sound like excuses….only a few days left to closing of the loan window- hope all efforts on getting some quality loan signings- after first quarter you would expect some form of communication.

Like most fans who love the club it’s hard to watch it all being flushed down a toilet pan. The only people who have the power to do anything are sitting on their hands. I’m sure Darrens a great guy and him and the board have a good relationship but if they are watching the same as us every week then you can’t allow this to continue. When Clyde scored their 2nd goal on Saturday Darren looked a broken man, he looked on as if to say I’ve tried everything what more can I do. The problem is when this losing culture sets in it’s such a hard habit to break. Most fans could take getting beat  if your teams made a fight of it but the majority of games were not even at the races.

28 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Like most fans who love the club it’s hard to watch it all being flushed down a toilet pan. The only people who have the power to do anything are sitting on their hands. I’m sure Darrens a great guy and him and the board have a good relationship but if they are watching the same as us every week then you can’t allow this to continue. When Clyde scored their 2nd goal on Saturday Darren looked a broken man, he looked on as if to say I’ve tried everything what more can I do. The problem is when this losing culture sets in it’s such a hard habit to break. Most fans could take getting beat  if your teams made a fight of it but the majority of games were not even at the races.

You make fair points- it has been really depressing. In the past we have been on great long runs and tbf long poor runs- but this does feel different- just don't think the quality is as high as before- Hopefully the first week in October things will become  clearer, having  either supported the manager with more loan signings or a change of leadership.

On 26/09/2021 at 22:06, BlackandGauld said:

Listen I was at the game Saturday and some of the fans that I spoke to,s comments about players were absalutely disgusting. I actually reported a few of them to the local steward who as per did nothing 

You reported crowd reactions to the steward? hahahah absolute fud

Your obviously a bit strange mate.