The East Fife Thread

The results are indefensible that is 16 goals conceded in 4 away games with only 3 scored. That’s an average of 4 goals conceded per game on the road. Now by anyone’s standards that is truly a shocking statistic. Either the shapes wrong or the players don’t understand what he’s coaching but for sure the buck stops right at Darrens door. How the committee can sit in away stands week after week watching that is beyond me. It is beyond embarrassing we aren’t even competing , Something has to change very quickly the excuses and blame game stop at the managers door . I said last week it’s unlikely the board will do the right thing but how long can they allow this car crash to go on. Back to a must win game next week at home to Clyde .

I did worry that Airdrie might take it easy but that early goal probably left EF unable to come back as we would then have counter attacked. There were several chances for a quick 2nd ( poor defending by some guy) but EF did get back into the game although never really threatening. The Red card was spot on as it was a two footed lunge, admittedly after a poor touch by the Airdrie player. DY was howling over it but whether that was because he blamed the Ref or Higgins I would not know. Curiously we looked nervy after that and there were several penalty box sclaffs and blocks. Kevin Smith was being a nuisance but he ran out of puff in the 2nd half-once he went off the gaps for Watson to spring right wing attacks looked likely to produce a 2nd. Funnily enough it came from the left and it was a supor/shot cross which left Gallagher well beaten. Watson then did cross a perfect ball for Gallagher to get a third.  Yes EF look in real trouble with those defeats and goals conceded, so it must be worrying as other sides appear able to get wins here and there.. 

I think it’s now clear that we need a change of manager to try and halt this decline. This group of players is quite easily one of the weakest squads that we have assembled during my time supporting East Fife. Whether that’s down to Young, the board or a combination of both remains to be seen but we are finishing 10th at this rate no doubt about it.

I know we have genuine supporters on the board and I hope they are removing the black & gold tinted spectacles to see how much trouble we are in. Managers have a shelf life at a club and Young might be a nice guy but unless changes are made soon, we are off to League 2.

What’s happened to EF this year. Quite surprising you’re shipping as many goals. One thing about DY (not the most charismatic of managers) when he was at Rovers he did make us a hard team to beat. When our money ran out he was like a ferret going down a rabbit hole. 

Boy oh boy watching those highlights on Airdrie tv is eye watering stuff. All 3 Airdrie goals are all individual errors what’s more it’s mostly the same players from the week before. Ross Dunlop is having a terrible time of it but keeps being p***ked week after week. Aaron Steele came in at Peterhead and did great helping us keep a clean sheet then disappears back to the bench. Jude Smith did well at Peterhead then straight back to the bench. I don’t know what Liam Watt has done wrong but he is out of favour as well. Even the sending off was our own fault a 5 yard hospital pass putting Young Higgins under unnecessary pressure. I know it’s not the manager making those mistakes but he is keeping picking the same players that keep making the mistakes so he is accountable. 

On 18/09/2021 at 17:30, Rob Smith said:

What an absolute car crash of a season!! No doubt Darren Young will find someone else to blame apart from himself.  He has to go ASAP

Look we all know we are in trouble.

Over the past 3/4 years we have lost important players to us;

long

Meggatt

Watson

Agnew

Dowds

Wallace

and it feels we have not replaced them with the same character and quality.

Add to the mix, King Kev is older and Dunnsy  has lost his mojo.

Add  to that we have sustained long term injuries to

Davidson

Swanson

Murdoch( until recently)- all key players.

You could argue we are unlucky, cursed or bad management.

Firing the manager  now feels like the last resort( unless he has lost the dressing room!). The only way we have a chance of survival is quality loans for the next 6 months for at least 3 players out of 4- a  defender, a midfielder , a forward and if possible a goalie- from higher leagues that need game time, like Murdoch, Higginson, Morrison and Hamilton etc in the past.

That is a big ask i know-but DY has found good loans in the past. If we want to survive in this league we need to do something dramatic like this in the next 14 days , as I fear the current pool will unfortunately take us to relegation.!

Edited by Its not only a game

12 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Look we all know we are in trouble.

Over the past 3/4 years we have lost important players to us;

long

Meggatt

Watson

Agnew

Dowds

Wallace

and it feels we have not replaced them with the same character and quality.

Add to the mix, King Kev is older and Dunnsy  has lost his mojo.

Add  to that we have sustained long term injuries to

Davidson

Swanson

Murdoch( until recently)- all key players.

You could argue we are unlucky, cursed or bad management.

Firing the manager  now feels like the last resort( unless he has lost the dressing room!). The only way we have a chance of survival is quality loans for the next 6 months for at least 3 players out of 4- a  defender, a midfielder , a forward and if possible a goalie- from higher leagues that need game time, like Murdoch, Higginson, Morrison and Hamilton etc in the past.

That is a big ask i know-but DY has found good loans in the past. If we want to survive in this league we need to do something dramatic like this in the next 14 days , as I fear the current pool will unfortunately take us to relegation.!

A large portion of us thought we'd be in danger after the summer of recruitment + the Wallace/McGuigan situations so for me, our current predicament isn't that much of a surprise. The reason DY has been good for us previously was his recruitment was always strong and done early, we were able to build a squad that could compete, though arguably (in my opinion) ultimately underperformed considering the quality we had on the park.

Unfortunately that quality isn't there this year, whether or not the budget was slashed vs other teams or whatever I don't know. I think even with 3 loans that improve the squad we'd still be in the bottom 3. The board have to really starting to ask questions here, and if we don't beat Clyde at the weekend I can't see how his position is tenable frankly. 

22 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Why does Liam Watt not get a game? He was a player I always liked at Airdrie and is surely better than the rubbish that was on the park yesterday. Likewise I am glad Kyle Connell wasn't playing. Injured? 

Liam Watt is like the rest of the team in not playing very well at all and unfortunately not better than the “rubbish on the park” at the moment. Kyle Connell was injured a few weeks ago and we certainly miss his presence up front as there is nobody to replace him? A very poor squad indeed.

Liam Watt is like the rest of the team in not playing very well at all and unfortunately not better than the “rubbish on the park” at the moment. Kyle Connell was injured a few weeks ago and we certainly miss his presence up front as there is nobody to replace him? A very poor squad indeed.

Monnnnnnnnnnnn the ffffffffiiiffffeeeeeee