The East Fife Thread

Welcome back was pretty decent first time around manager certainly getting the backing of the board with all the new signings in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully he can get a settled team and formula and turn things around . Apart from left back we have got options when everyone is fit. Onwards and upwards. 

10 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Welcome back was pretty decent first time around manager certainly getting the backing of the board with all the new signings in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully he can get a settled team and formula and turn things around . Apart from left back we have got options when everyone is fit. Onwards and upwards. 

Just a left back needed? I’m sure we can add a goalkeeper, a creative midfielder, a winger and a goal scoring striker to that list? Certainly another midfielder like Kieran wasn’t a priority in my opinion. 

Massive game this Saturday and will be going along with hope rather than expectation. 

Darren Young is on a shoogly peg and it looks like to me that he’s lost his players. Let’s hope also that he gives them a lot more encouragement from the sidelines rather than the statuesque management we have witnessed recently. 

I admire your optimism which I feel is slightly misplaced. We’ve needed a left back since Naysmith left us, however this season we have even bigger problems.

I don’t know where the goals are coming to come from and if Connell is out, then apart from Smith we don’t really have anyone else who can get around 10+ goals (such as Agnew).

I don’t get the Millar signing as we have players who can play in that role in Murdoch, Davidson and Slattery. The squad is a bit disjointed and it feels we have the scattergun out with the transfers we are making.

Saturday is already a must win game, just to give everyone a bit of confidence. A defeat and we really are in the shit.

How many more players are we intending to recruit? If we keep going we will have as many players as fans. We have 3 goalkeepers so why the call for another one. How many more midfielders I've lost count.? Perhaps one striker if Wallace has quit. But would think we have a  decent pool

14 hours ago, fifer67 said:

manager certainly getting the backing of the board with all the new signings in the last couple of weeks.

I am not entirely sure that one thing reflects the other. The manager will have been given a player budget at the start of the season then after that it is up to him how he spends it in relation to player wages, transfer fees and signing on fees. This was said a lot last season in relation to the "big money" signing Danny Swanson, but it looked to me that the manger paid a big wage to one player rather than smaller wages to two or three players. This was reflected in the strength and depth of the squad during the first half of last season where the manager only used 51% of his available subs compared to 82% in the second half after all the loan signings came in. The lateness of these signings this season is probably more of a reflection on how difficult it is to attract players to East Fife as well as the McGuigan and Wallace situations.

I would be amazed if the playing budget this season was bigger or even the same as last seasons after a season without fans (the clubs main source income). If the board do want to back the manager then it would probably be helpful to highlight any constraints the manager might be under compared to last season to temper any unrealistic expectations. Stability was the key word used on Darren Young's contact extension announcement, but while East Fife are looking for stability and other clubs are improving their quality then stability turns to regression in the short-term.

Was at your game yesterday and was saddend to hear about Bobby Waddell remember him well from the early 70's when Raith played East Fife he was a player you hated because he was so good. If I remember did his brother not play for East Fife as well?  RIP Bobby you were a good player.

1 hour ago, steakngravy said:

Was at your game yesterday and was saddend to hear about Bobby Waddell remember him well from the early 70's when Raith played East Fife he was a player you hated because he was so good. If I remember did his brother not play for East Fife as well?  RIP Bobby you were a good player.

His brother Andy also played for East Fife.

13 minutes ago, sammytroot said:

His brother Andy also played for East Fife.

Brother Harry played a few times for East Fife but mainly for Forfar befor going to Aussie but came back again and can be seen most days at New Bayview as a volunteer helper.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Couldn't watch yesterday but a good result, much needed. Any word on the performance?

Put it this way, if somebody had only seen the first half and had heard a 3-0scoreline they would have assumed for Peterhead. With only Kev up front first half we did not look like scoring but the introduction of Denholm swung the game around a bit. The referee was in keeping with all the others at this level- atrocious although he did give us what I would say was a dubious penalty. Maybe a bit unfair to say but the injury to Chris Higgins was possibly a blessing in that Daniel Higgins played well. We even managed to deal with several corners and numerous free kicks into the penalty area.

6 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Brother Harry played a few times for East Fife but mainly for Forfar befor going to Aussie but came back again and can be seen most days at New Bayview as a volunteer helper.

Harry had a trial with East Fife but never had the opportunity to sign.