The East Fife Thread

Well, I think even the most optimistic of supporter must be fearing the worst now.

Taking the season as a whole we have played 8 games 1 draw and 7 defeats (beating St Johnstone kids doesn’t count).

Serious questions must be asked of Young as the squad we have assembled is clearly not good enough. Maybe the board have to take some flak too by not backing the manager. Either way, I’m not advocating that he goes just yet as whoever was to come in has the same squad to work with.

The next couple of games will see where we are at and we could easily be further adrift at the foot of the table.

5 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Well, I think even the most optimistic of supporter must be fearing the worst now.

Taking the season as a whole we have played 8 games 1 draw and 7 defeats (beating St Johnstone kids doesn’t count).

Serious questions must be asked of Young as the squad we have assembled is clearly not good enough. Maybe the board have to take some flak too by not backing the manager. Either way, I’m not advocating that he goes just yet as whoever was to come in has the same squad to work with.

The next couple of games will see where we are at and we could easily be further adrift at the foot of the table.

Yes it looks like we’re playing in a mini league ourselves, Peterhead, Clyde, and Dumbarton all looking to avoid the bottom 2 spots. Next week against Peterhead becomes a must win game even this early in the season. I hope I’m proved wrong but it just clearly looks like the squad of players assembled just not good enough at this level. To be fair we have played the top teams in Cove, Queens Park and Montrose. Next week will be a bench mark if we have any chance of survival. Injuries to Ross Davidson Danny Swanson and Stewart Murdoch not helping our cause. Que the manager saying we need to dust ourselves down and learn from our mistakes. Hopefully one day soon.

13 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Yes it looks like we’re playing in a mini league ourselves, Peterhead, Clyde, and Dumbarton all looking to avoid the bottom 2 spots. Next week against Peterhead becomes a must win game even this early in the season. I hope I’m proved wrong but it just clearly looks like the squad of players assembled just not good enough at this level. To be fair we have played the top teams in Cove, Queens Park and Montrose. Next week will be a bench mark if we have any chance of survival. Injuries to Ross Davidson Danny Swanson and Stewart Murdoch not helping our cause. Que the manager saying we need to dust ourselves down and learn from our mistakes. Hopefully one day soon.

Has anyone an idea when those 3 are likely to be back?Those 3 and the absentee! Would walk straight into our team and make a huge difference.!

Has anyone an idea when those 3 are likely to be back?Those 3 and the absentee! Would walk straight into our team and make a huge difference.!
Not sure what injuries Davidson/Murdoch have but if Swansons injury is indeed a knee cruciate ligament, he won't be back before February/March at the very earliest if he's lucky.

Unfortunately our support is too polarised. Lots of concerns raised over the summer that were completely shouted down as being too negative (which in itself isn't bad, because we are quite a negative fan base). These results aren't that much of a surprise and I think we're in quite a bit of trouble.

Some grim results in recent weekd for the black and gold. I have;nt been along to NBV  lately but the results are,well, worrying.  Unless DY  et al do something quickly this losing mentality will be diificult to reverse. Hope ypo manage to turn things around.

21 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Yes it looks like we’re playing in a mini league ourselves, Peterhead, Clyde, and Dumbarton all looking to avoid the bottom 2 spots. Next week against Peterhead becomes a must win game even this early in the season.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking since the start of the season. It would be helpful if Airdrie could be pulled into that group too.

I make it that you would be looking at a target of 40 points for 8th place, which looks like 10-11 wins over the season and 7-10 draws. Breaking that down into quarters that's 10 points per quarter. With 1 point from 12 so far and 15 points left of the first quarter I just can't see the team picking up 9 points from 15 based on current form, playing style and the quality of the squad currently available. That means the team will enter the second quarter with a deficit to make up. This will just add more pressure on the manager and likely the board too.

Edited by 7 Eleven

Kieran Millar coming back is the word on the street!!!
Another DM to go with Davidson and McManus, don’t see the sense in that one tbh!!!

5 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Kieran Millar coming back is the word on the street!!!
Another DM to go with Davidson and McManus, don’t see the sense in that one tbh!!!

Neither Davidson or McManus are defensive midfielders. They just occasionally play behind other midfielders. In Davidson's case he is just a bit better at winning the ball than he is when is is in possession of it. McManus on the other hand reminds me of a special teams player in American Football. You would be as well as rolling him off the bench for corners, free-kicks and penalties. Other than that I don't really see the point of him during open play. He has certainly not showed much interest in defending so far this season.  

East Fife are in desperate need of a genuine defensive midfielder who is willing to stay deep and sit in front of the central defenders, is capable of dropping into the defensive line or going into defend the full-back areas. Basically more prepared to work side-to-side rather than forwards and back. Unfortunately these types of players are few and far between at this level. The five on the short-list of players who I think are capable are already signed with clubs and playing most weeks.

I personally don't think that Kieran Millar is the answer, but I don't think he is any worse than the others in the squad, so if there is no alternative options then I don't see the harm. Possibly a short-term deal till January would be beneficial for both parties. Shop window for him and another body around the place for the club.

Lastly, I believe that the team need to start playing with a defensive/holding midfielder (if they can get one) and two box-to-box midfielders in front. Playing with a number 10 or attacking midfielder is an absolute luxury that this team cannot afford at the moment. 

This team are very slow hence why Denholm is a dead cert every week. Newton gives us some effort but he doesnt do it as well as Davidson. We just don't have enough energy from middle to front compared to seasons gone by and Connell is the only signing who looks okay at best. 

Can't see us staying up this season. 

Millar was nothing special the last time around and certainly isn’t going to add anything to enhance the squad. After he left us he was average at Airdrie (like everyone else who leaves us), then has been jobbing with Stranraer.

We have to hope that we can get a couple of quality loanees in once the Premier League clubs complete their summer transfers and players become surplus to requirements.