The East Fife Thread

If we are trying to address the massive striker problem by signing Jordan Austin then we are in even bigger trouble than I thought.

A serious lack of any new faces this week is a worry before Saturday’s game. 

Edited by Mon_The_Fife
Typooo.

1 hour ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

If we are trying to address the massive striker problem by signing Jordan Austin then we are in even bigger trouble than I thought.

Look at where the rumour is coming from, the same guy that stated Darren Young was going to Celtic. Fair play to him as it like catching fish in a barrel. 

Now getting very worried  regarding the lack of players incoming. You don’t have to be a footballing professor to be 100% certain that the squad assembled is going to struggle big time. If we’re going with the squad as per now all the young 18 or 19 year olds signed are going to have to hit the ground running. 

10 hours ago, 7 Eleven said:

Look at where the rumour is coming from, the same guy that stated Darren Young was going to Celtic. Fair play to him as it like catching fish in a barrel. 

I didn’t create the rumour about Darren to Celtic nor did I create the one about this Austin guy, I’ve never even heard of him. I was sent it in a fans group chat I’m in.

Yes agree we need to add players.  But let's put it into some perspective.  Besides the goalkeepers who I thought were both good Agnew did hee  haw last season he looked done. I'm definitely not a fan of Watson so would not be too upset at him going. Pitt about Wallace  but again he looked lethargic in the games I seen. More concerning is the injuries I hope they clear up soon..  The players we had got us into 5th place so bit disrespectful  to be so dismissive  of them. The young players we have signed will work in the under 20s when we get others in and there is talent their It is difficult  just now but I'm sure it will turn out ok

3 minutes ago, flyfifer48 said:

Yes agree we need to add players.  But let's put it into some perspective.  Besides the goalkeepers who I thought were both good Agnew did hee  haw last season he looked done. I'm definitely not a fan of Watson so would not be too upset at him going. Pitt about Wallace  but again he looked lethargic in the games I seen. More concerning is the injuries I hope they clear up soon..  The players we had got us into 5th place so bit disrespectful  to be so dismissive  of them. The young players we have signed will work in the under 20s when we get others in and there is talent their It is difficult  just now but I'm sure it will turn out ok

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you the one that’s being disrespectful and dismissive to them? 

You’ve literally just dismissed the players you told us not to dismiss.

That's essentially half a first team. What's he been doing all summer?

Yup, we’ve had ample time to find suitable replacements. I know losing Wallace was far from ideal but we should have identified someone to take McGuigan’s place at least.

Hopefully with the money being saved from Wallace and McGuigans wages we can bring in some decent loan players from higher up the food chain.

1 hour ago, flyfifer48 said:

Your wrong so stand corrected  

Apologies, I’ve read your original post again and it’s you that should stand corrected. As Mon_The _Fife quite rightly says, you have dismissed the players you told us not to dismiss!! 😂😂😂😂

21 minutes ago, Rob Smith said:

Apologies, I’ve read your original post again and it’s you that should stand corrected. As Mon_The _Fife quite rightly says, you have dismissed the players you told us not to dismiss!! 😂😂😂😂

Specsavers are doing special offers just now

2 hours ago, BlackandGauld said:

I didn’t create the rumour about Darren to Celtic nor did I create the one about this Austin guy, I’ve never even heard of him. I was sent it in a fans group chat I’m in.

So you took gossip from a private group chat and put it on a public forum? Right, got you now. 

I don't think having concerns about where we are at the moment is being "disrespectful" to the current squad. At the end of the day, I'm not sure anyone can argue that we're stronger than we were last year. We've lost Long, Watson, Agnew, no longer have Hamilton to grab the goals from the season's start, all the other loan signings are gone and now Wallace is gone (is he? Nothing official from the club yet). McManus, Mercer and Steele are all decent signings in my view, but the rest aren't strengthening the squad in the slightest though I'm ready to be proven wrong.  We're entering into the league season with a keeper that hasn't played much football at all over the past 2 years, no natural left back, a centre half pairing that I have some question marks about, no real creativity in the centre of the park and a striker pairing containing someone who struggled to make a dent after coming up from the Lowland League and as much as I love Kev, can we really be expecting him to score 10-15 goals this year? Then a glance at the rest of the league, it's even stronger than last year:

• Airdrieonians finished above us before anyway, and are signings players like Frizzell, Kouider-Aissa, Easton, they're going to be strong.
  • Alloa relegated of course but with players like Scougall, Trouten and big Andy Graham, I'd suspect they're going to be top half this year even with Ferguson at the helm. 
  • Clyde potentially a team that will be towards the bottom half again but with Goodwillie they have a player that can get them points out of nothing - something we are lacking
  • Cove are signings players that were at County last year and were already better than us last year. 
  • Dumbarton another team likely to be bottom half, but I think the ownership situation over there is starting to look a lot better and there's a real air of positivity. We'd also take players like Buchanan and McKee. They have a defence that can hold on when they need to, I'm not convinced we do. 
  • Falkirk speaks for itself, they're just better than us.
  • Montrose have proven for a number of seasons that they are better than us.
  • Peterhead probably another bottom half side, find them a bit difficult to predict.
  • Queens Park potentially favourites for the league.

Looking at the above, I struggle to see how we finish anything above 7th with the current squad and frankly I think we're actually one of the favourites for relegation. We also have to factor in that QP getting their investment, teams like Kelty and Cove entering the league structure, we may have to readjust expectations from safe midtable L1 side. Ultimately, with our utterly crap ownership situation, we are never really going to grow any further than what we are now (not that I think we'd all of a sudden go shooting up the leagues if we were fan-owned or otherwise, but it's nonetheless a hindrance we could do without). This season may well be the beginning of a realignment to us becoming a full on L1/L2 yoyo club. 

Hopefully I'm proven wrong by further signings before the end of August. 

Edited by Big Fifer