The East Fife Thread

30 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Just looking at DY’s fear/allergy of signing left backs and trying to get into his headspace!!!
Did Penrice get released by Thistle or is he still there???

I think his contract expires end of the month, I don't think Thistle fans rate him that much but he did play pretty much every week this season. 

48 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Just looking at DY’s fear/allergy of signing left backs and trying to get into his headspace!!!
Did Penrice get released by Thistle or is he still there???

I've read Livvy are interested in him but Thistle fans don't seem to rate him, which is a bit weird. I'd have him back in heart beat.

Alternatively sign a hammer - thrower centre half  with Higgins playing left-back, something he did successfully towards the end of the season.

I would expect McManus to partner Davidson in central midfield  to tighten up on our lack of ability in winning back the ball.

Like most other fans really unsure about Thomas Collins and why he was given a 2 year contract. Surely the time to establish whether he was any good was in the run-in at the end of the season and not to go for Sean Brown or  Spence.

13 minutes ago, sammytroot said:

Alternatively sign a hammer - thrower centre half  with Higgins playing left-back, something he did successfully towards the end of the season.

I would expect McManus to partner Davidson in central midfield  to tighten up on our lack of ability in winning back the ball.

Like most other fans really unsure about Thomas Collins and why he was given a 2 year contract. Surely the time to establish whether he was any good was in the run-in at the end of the season and not to go for Sean Brown or  Spence.

I think Higgins was decent enough at left back but it's not a long term solution.

We’re also forgetting Aiden McLaughlin who signed as a first team squad player just back in September, think his deal was only for a year but he hasn’t been mentioned as one of the released players!!!

I've read Livvy are interested in him but Thistle fans don't seem to rate him, which is a bit weird. I'd have him back in heart beat.

Good shout, they never did properly replace Nick Berry!!!

7 hours ago, King Kebab said:

We’re also forgetting Aiden McLaughlin who signed as a first team squad player just back in September, think his deal was only for a year but he hasn’t been mentioned as one of the released players!!!

Think he still qualifies for the u20s squad.

8 hours ago, sammytroot said:

Not sure that McManus and Davidson would fit together in the centre of midfield, unless in a five with Swanson ahead of them. 

Sad to see Brett Long leaving, a top keeper at this level. Would sicken me if he ended up at a rival club. If hes got a full time club, or step up to championship, fair play to him, I've said before, he's not left Northern Ireland to play part time at East Fife, he's maybe even going home. Always felt our management team didn't really like him & used any opportunity to get Hart in, maybe stemed from him booking a holiday during the season a couple of years ago. 

Of our signings Mcguigan, getting on a bit, but a proven goalscorer & adds height. Gallacher, not filling me with confidence, hopefully a number 1 still to come, was it not in the Courier we were running the rule over a young Dundee United keeper? Mcmanus, looking at his stats, certainly not a goalscorer, so not a direct replacement for Agnew.

Happy enough with those who have resigned, hope Higgins still has another season left in him & I'm not Denholm's biggest fan, but he seems to be favourite of the manager. Squad is taking shape nicely, would love to see a Mcgeever, Mercer or Penrice. Please, no more signings from the Lowland league, we got lucky with Dowds, since then the rest haven't managed to make the 2 division step up! 

Brown has signed. Bit of a weird one for me, only saw him two or three times in the run in but he looked a fair bit off it frankly. Hopefully a decent pre-season at us will set him up a bit better. Given he's signed, I find it unlikely we'll be in the market for another striker anytime soon given we'll likely start Wallace and McGuigan with Brown/Kev as back up there (and Collins). 

Gallacher

Murdoch Dunlop Higgins Slattery

Denholm Davidson McManus Swanson

Wallace McGuigan

Subs - Watt, Dunsmore, Newton, Smith, Collins, Brown.

Bit of a weird and unexpected one, didn’t really do too much in his ten games but the management must see something in him, but his deal is only for a year so perhaps they aren’t that confident!!!
Perhaps they’re hoping for another Dowds, good luck to the lad anyway!!!

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Brown has signed. Bit of a weird one for me, only saw him two or three times in the run in but he looked a fair bit off it frankly. Hopefully a decent pre-season at us will set him up a bit better. Given he's signed, I find it unlikely we'll be in the market for another striker anytime soon given we'll likely start Wallace and McGuigan with Brown/Kev as back up there (and Collins). 

Agreed. From what I saw of him I didn't really think he was up to L1 standard. Shire fans seem to really rate him though. Appreciate they might be a bit biased and maybe not the best judge of the standard in the SPFL these days but they seem to think he's got what it takes to step up. He's obviously someone Darren still wants in after seeing him last season. I'm perfectly happy to judge him on what he does next season. Bit of a weird season last year and it can't have been easy to get chucked into a league two levels above what you're used to halfway through after not playing for months.

There's plenty of good players who've taken time to adapt to a step up in level. I imagine he'll start off second choice centre forward behind McGuigan. Hopefully he can get a good pre-season and kick on next year.

I thought he was starting to look okay at L1 level nearer the end of the season. does concern me that i don't think he'll be a prolific goalscorer at this level though. Which is something we missed once Hamilton went back to Livingston.

Edited by Rbon

23 minutes ago, Rbon said:

I thought he was starting to look okay at L1 level nearer the end of the season. does concern me that i don't think he'll be a prolific goalscorer at this level though. Which is something we missed once Hamilton went back to Livingston.

Yeah we lacked goals at airdrie, Clyde, Dumbarton when we saw him though his best game was when he came on against Forfar and scored. I’m hoping to prove wrong and giving the guy a full season with pre-season training may help him having came from Shire.

though I’ll still have him ahead of Collins but my front two would be MM and Waldo with Kev from the bench, I know TC has another year left I was hoping with the BSC mob taken over at Stenny he would go there permanently but like at Ef he struggled to make impact there though if he’s staying I’m happy give both guys a chance but not my starter unless we have or carry injuries, suspension etc.

with the squad wise I’m hoping we can bring in a goalie, certainly a left back (probably going back to having GN was the last one and Penrice!), centre back for Watson!, would like see Steele back onloan just that he was giving game time and still young and versatility in defence for that reason and maybe a midfielder or two but with Jack Healy upto three appearance like see another newton type there and cammy Dow I was impressed with at forfar not so much at sauchie before his loan spell at Phil McGuire team has helped it since there’s no u20s, decent crosser aswell on cammy. But I’m looking forward to new season maybe a full season with fans of course we’ll fingers crossed!

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer
Last bit of my words😂 hope it makes sense.

11 hours ago, sammytroot said:

Manager bringing in a further goalkeeper and 2 defenders.

That would make perfect sense, hopefully a meat and potatoes centre half and a left back. At that point I think our squad would be done and we'd just be looking at loans, probably focusing in the middle of the park. 

Any word on what "bringing in" means in terms of the here and now? Terms been offered to players already or just wanting to bring in three before season begins? 

2 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

That would make perfect sense, hopefully a meat and potatoes centre half and a left back. At that point I think our squad would be done and we'd just be looking at loans, probably focusing in the middle of the park. 

Any word on what "bringing in" means in terms of the here and now? Terms been offered to players already or just wanting to bring in three before season begins? 

The wording should have been "aiming to bring in". As you say, hopefully a centre -half and a left back.

With regard to additional loanees, the club seems to be trying to encourage promotion from the under 20s/21s.