The East Fife Thread

5 hours ago, Rbon said:

I would have been happy with Hart or Long staying both leaving is a worry.

Why? Do you think the team are going to start playing without a goalie? People correctly said the squad needs freshened up and that’s exactly what’s happening. I’m sure that the manager knows exactly what he is doing.

I’m gutted Brett left out those two like many have said, but to have none manager feels the freshness to bring in new players over the summer ie goalies then I’m for it.

I’m sure like 7 11 has said we won’t be playing without one so not end of the world. Though I have to admit Brett was my favourite goalie since Willie McCulloch/Jim Butter was at the club.

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer

27 minutes ago, 7 Eleven said:

Why? Do you think the team are going to start playing without a goalie? People correctly said the squad needs freshened up and that’s exactly what’s happening. I’m sure that the manager knows exactly what he is doing.

Feel we have let two good goalkeepers go, Hope we find a good replacement until then i'm allowed to have doubts. 

50 minutes ago, Rbon said:

Feel we have let two good goalkeepers go, Hope we find a good replacement until then i'm allowed to have doubts. 

Contracts run till May 31st. Club probably already have a new GK signed up, but can’t/won’t announce it till the player has officially left their own club. Note that the club has not announced any player leaving until the player themselves have made it public. Once again I trust that the people working behind the scenes know what they are doing,  we just don’t find out about things in real time. There is no way the Manager would let Long & Hart leave without having something else lined up. Lastly, none of us know how many of the players that have left the club wanted to retain, not that it matters anyway.

Player Departures

Following the conclusion of the 2020/21 season, the club can now confirm that Craig Watson, Brett Long, Kyle Bell, Jordan Hart and Josh McConville will leave the club when their contracts expire at the end of this month.

Craig Watson joined the club in the summer of 2017 after leaving Hamilton Academical, making his debut against Peterhead in July that year before going on to make 100 appearances during his 4 years at Bayview, scoring 9 goals.

Goalkeeper Brett Long signed on at Bayview in May 2018 and featured on 77 occasions, keeping 19 clean sheets. Brett was awarded the Supporters Club Young Player of the Year twice in his time at the club, including for season 2020/21.

Kyle Bell’s 3 years at East Fife were badly impacted by a serious knee injury picked up in a pre-season match before the start of season 2019/20. Kyle made 22 appearances during his first season at Bayview and will move on to East of Scotland side Glenrothes FC for the start of next season.

Jordan Hart joined the club in May 2019 from Queen’s Park and has featured on 28 occasions, keeping 5 clean sheets during his two seasons at Bayview.

Midfielder Josh McConville was promoted from the Under 20s set-up at the start of last season. Josh made his first-team debut as a 16-year-old against Stirling Albion in the Challenge Cup in August 2019.

Speaking to the media team, Manager Darren Young expressed his thanks to the players moving on: “Janny (Craig Watson) has had a bit of an up-and-down time during his 4 years at the club due to injuries but established himself as a first-team regular this season. Craig has been a great servant to East Fife and always gave his all for the team.”

“Brett and Jordan have both done well for the club over the past few seasons however, goalkeeper was one area we wanted to freshen up before the start of next season. Both guys are still young and I’m sure they’ll continue to develop and progress in their careers.”

“Kyle has been so unlucky over the last 18 months, firstly by a serious knee injury, then his comeback was curtailed by the covid pandemic. Kyle has signed a pre-contract with Glenrothes FC so hopefully he gets the game time he needs and deserves.”

“Josh is another who’s career has been badly impacted by the pandemic. Josh needed games but unfortunately his spell at Lochee was cut short by the closure of their league. We felt Josh’s opportunities were limited at East Fife so hopefully he will get the matches he needs elsewhere”.

“All of the players leave with the best wishes from both me and the management team and we thank them for their contributions during their time at the club”.

Everyone at East Fife would like to thank Craig, Brett, Kyle, Jordan and Josh for their efforts and wish them all the best for the future.

May be an image of 5 people and text that says "THANK YOU BW TECHNO TEONO TEGNO GEASTO ECHNOLOGY CS CRAIG WATSON BRETT LONG KYLE BELL JORDAN JOSH HART McCONVILLE"

14 hours ago, 7 Eleven said:

Contracts run till May 31st. Club probably already have a new GK signed up, but can’t/won’t announce it till the player has officially left their own club. Note that the club has not announced any player leaving until the player themselves have made it public. Once again I trust that the people working behind the scenes know what they are doing,  we just don’t find out about things in real time. There is no way the Manager would let Long & Hart leave without having something else lined up. Lastly, none of us know how many of the players that have left the club wanted to retain, not that it matters anyway.

I think this is all pretty much correct. Every year with DY if players were released we've had folk ready to come in already. Even if we don't, it's May, there's no point panicking about signings at this stage.

I kinda agree with DY that the goalkeeping position needs freshened up butas the defence as well. Would like to see a goalkeeper who commands his 6 yard box, comes out for crosses and clears his lines at corners. Would also like to see a no nonsense, tall centre back.  A penalty box goal sniffer would also be welcome ( not an Anton Dowds by the way). Hope DY has a few replacements lined up once contracts are up for the season past.

Don’t imagine that Craig Watson will find it hard to get another club at league one level, probably Jordan Hart as well and Brett Long could be a good back up in a higher league. Good luck to them anyway.

5 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

Could Darren be tempted with the Dunfermline job looks like a fight between him and Stewart Petrie

After just signing a new 2 year contract this week!!!!

1 hour ago, East Fife is best said:

Has it been signed or only just verbally agreed

Darren Young Pens New Contract at East Fife

East Fife FC are delighted to confirm that manager Darren Young has extended his contract until the summer of 2023. We are sure that this will continue the stability within the first team set up. Darren already has begun his planning for next season and we hope to be able to announce our first new signings of the summer within the next few days.

Darren Young commented: “'I am delighted to have agreed a two-year extension to my contract and I am already excited about what next season will bring for us.

“I feel that we have had progress year on year since I came to the club and this season, we were within two goals of securing a top 5 finish and ultimately finished 5 points off second spot in the league.”

“Every year League One has been more difficult than the year before and the forthcoming season will be just the same with some ambitious & experienced clubs joining us. We will however, be well prepared for the challenges ahead with the pre-season training starting in just 4 very short weeks.”

I am happy with that frankly. I hope that we sign a left back and Pat becomes more of a cover player. Watt already is a bit of a back up already. The best bit of that is Murdoch on 2 years, given there was rumours of him going to the police and leaving football I am delighted to see that. I personally quite like DD, I think he gets a lot of undue stick and I gravitate towards his self-deprecating personality. Anyway, I make us at:

GK

Defence

Murdoch

Higgins
Slattery

Dunlop

Midfield

Denholm

Watt

Davidson

Dunsmore

Swanson

Newton

Forwards

Smith

Wallace 

Collins

I reckon we'll need at least 2 keepers, a starting left back, a creative central midfielder, another winger and another striker. I'd prefer we signed another centre half to start alongside Higgins, he's still good on the ball so a hammerthrower like McGeever would be good. Dunsmore is decent enough cover for right back. Aggy needs replacing, I wonder whether Swanson will move inside or whether we'll keep him out wide? That's 7 more players at least for me, bringing the total squad to 20, which depending on the budget might not be viable. Of course some of that will likely be one or two loans, and I suspect Collins may not remain at us. Look forward to the announcements over the coming days and weeks! 

Hopefully a good signing, getting on a bit but he smashed them in last time he was in this league. I think he's been playing in what is a fairly poor Stenny side of late also, can see him and Wallace linking up nicely. 

Not a prolific goal-scoring striker but he's a good height and build for a target man. If he can hold the ball up well, win headers then he could be really handy in linking up with Ryan Wallace up front.  Look forward to seeing a few other additions to the squad.