The East Fife Thread

Quite happy with Young staying. I see some chat about Kevin Smith should have been our manager by someone on Facebook. Based on what? Zero coaching or managerial experience, he may very well become a good manager if he wants to but now is not the time for a rookie manager to come in.

I would certainly take Mercer back, a solid right back if we lose Murdoch. He didn’t do well at Falkirk, but that club is a shambles so difficult for anyone to go there and have a good season.

3 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Quite happy with Young staying. I see some chat about Kevin Smith should have been our manager by someone on Facebook. Based on what? Zero coaching or managerial experience, he may very well become a good manager if he wants to but now is not the time for a rookie manager to come in.

I would certainly take Mercer back, a solid right back if we lose Murdoch. He didn’t do well at Falkirk, but that club is a shambles so difficult for anyone to go there and have a good season.

Absolutely agree with this post MTF, I also quite pleased that we have stick to Young for another season or two given how this season was stopped start due to the pandemic and were still not out the woods yet with Glasgow in tier 3 still.
It would be mental to give Kevin the job as young is building something here and we have still to reach our goal which is play offs or more  in his footballing managerial career. I know young has had three seasons to get us there and we have been 6th/7th or short than the goal set I still think he has more to give like he got Albion Rovers to their highest position and we have still to reach ours me thinks.

As for players returning quite like the idea if Murdo was to move on which I hope not as murdo’s been solid to see Mercer come in I would also like see another two strikers along with a midfield since we’ve got short of bell and Agnew- either in the mind of millar or McManus strikes my mind from Stranraer since they fell short of archiving promotion this year and hoping we sort our left side problems this year. As for goalie do we need two top goalies? I certainly wouldn’t loose sleep if one went and the other stayed and I really hope Brett stays out them two.
Though be interesting see what happens after tonight’s awards see who’s left and who’s going, let’s hope the covid is all gone once the euros arrive so we can have a full crack at league 1 behind supporters at bayview again I’m certainly missing bayview it’s been a year or so I’m buzzing for the new season.

looks like Jordan hart is away going by tweets also. I would have kept Janny sad to see him go I’m sure both will find a club.

As for the poty that was amazing put together by the media team, fabulous stuff I have to say.

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer
forgot to mention the poty!

Disappointing that Watson has gone, a very good defender at this level but he’s maybe off somewhere where his Tories views are more appreciated. Aberdeenshire perhaps so maybe Cove?

No surprise that Hart has gone, we don’t need 2 goalkeepers competing for 1 position on decent wages. Keep Long and have a young keeper as back up.

8 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Suppose both Watson & Hart want to be at clubs where they are first choice. Of the two keepers, keeping Long would definitely be my priority.

Some folk seem to be a little concerned based on the interviews that Higgins/Long are both away as well. Would rather keep both frankly but I am guessing now that the POTY stuff is out the way we'll hear much more in the coming days on who's away/who's staying as well as the new signings mentioned in DY's contract renewal announcement. 

Thought we would keep a hold of Long, but wish him well, a very good goalkeeper.

The squad certainly needed a freshen up and already that’s us lost Agnew, Bell, Watson, Long and Hart. I’m sure there will be more to follow.

On Long and Hart, I like both of them and would be happy to go into next season with either of them as number 1. I do feel like we don't really need both of them and both guys will feel like they want to be first pick somewhere so wish them both well. It seems like Darren isn't totally convinced by either as a number 1 though. Brett Long's had the gloves for the majority of the past two seasons but it's been mentioned a few times that the feeling is he doesn't communicate enough or well enough to the defence. That's something that we as fans obviously don't really see too much but if it is the case, it's probably best to try and bring in a keeper that the management have full confidence in. I'm not sure whether it was the club's decision or the players decision here. Could well be that both just want to move on or got a better offer. Brett Long in particular is a fantastic keeper and has plenty of great attributes. He's still young and I still think he's got the ability to move on to a full time Championship club. He was probably my favourite East Fife keeper since Willie McCulloch. And getting sent off for winding up the Rovers was beautiful.

On Watson. He's a player I really like as well. I do think him, Dunlop and Higgins are all a bit similar though and I think we probably need a more physical 'headers and tackles' centre half in there to play alongside one of them. I think there were always going to be a lot of tough decisions this summer, either the club letting go some players the fans like or some players deciding to move on. Watson's a player I'd liked to have kept, particularly because he can do a job in a number of positions but if it's a case of moving these players on so we can improve the squad as a whole then that's what we have to do.

Genuinely wish all these guys the best in their future careers apart from when they face us.

Hopefully we can get some information regarding those leaving/those staying this week, it's going to be a fairly large rebuild from the looks of it which is both exciting and scary at the same time given the past few years of stability. Based on previous seasons though the management team haven't let a chunk of players leave without having something planned for coming in. And of course, the season's not even finished yet, so we've plenty time. 

43 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

Marc McCallum should be our No1 target for a new keeper was by far the best shot stopper in the league for the last 2 season and with Forfar relagated he might fancy a new challange

Feels like McCallum is one of these players that'll never leave Forfar. I'm sure loads of clubs will have tried to tempt him away. I assume he's got some circumstances that mean it's convenient for him to be there. Also contracted until 2024 according to transfermarkt. I'm sure Forfar would ask for a hefty sum for him so that probably rules him out for pretty much all L1 clubs.