The East Fife Thread

Walter Borthwick passes away

It is with great sadness that the club learned of the passing of former player Walter Borthwick.

Born in Edinburgh, Borthwick’s first senior club was Morton, spending two seasons at Cappielow before joining East Fife in October 1967. Jimmy Bonthrone, the man in charge at Bayview was looking towards youth in his efforts to steer the club back to the top flight after a nine year absence. The 19 year old forward made a scoring debut in a 3-1 win at home to Stranraer and added a further eight goals before the end of the campaign as the team just missed out on a return to the first division, finishing in third position four points behind second placed Arbroath.

1968-69 saw East Fife again finish third in the table, with Borthwick now established in the side as a strong tackling inside forward. The Fifers had started and finished the season strongly but a dip in form at the turn of the year left them with just too much to do to catch Motherwell and Ayr United.  

The departure of Jimmy Bonthrone to join Eddie McLeod’s coaching team at Aberdeen and the appointment of Bill Baxter in the summer of 1969 brought further change, significantly with the addition of ex Scotland Internationalists John Martis and Pat Quinn to the Bayview ranks. Initial league results were disappointing but with Borthwick, by now operating as a wing half, the club embarked on a Scottish Cup run that had the crowds flocking back to Bayview. After comfortably disposing of local rivals Raith Rovers 3-0 they saw off the challenge of another first division outfit in Morton to reach the quarter finals of the competition for the first time since 1950. With 14,994 fans looking on the Methil men lost out to visitors’ Dundee by a solitary goal, but the Fifers had served notice that the good times were just around the corner. It was no surprise that the hard working Borthwick was voted player of the year for his efforts.

The following season promotion was at last secured under Pat Quinn, with Borthwick missing just four games throughout the campaign, also contributing four goals, including a hat-trick in a 5-1 rout of Stirling Albion in a rare appearance back in the forward line.

Life upstairs provided no shortage of entertainment for the Bayview faithful. After a sticky start the men in black and gold eventually found their first division legs, beating high flying Hibernian in a memorable encounter in January, but a relegation struggle continued to the last day of the season when a Joe Hughes goal at Fir Park earned a draw and finally secured East Fife’s first division status at the expense of Dunfermline Athletic.

The following season as the Fifers consolidated their position in the top league, finishing in a creditable 9th place and qualifying for the Texaco Cup. For Borthwick it was a particularly satisfying season, scoring some spectacular goals such as a late winner against his old club Morton in a thrilling 4-3 win at Bayview. In addition to being voted the player of the year by Buckhaven Supporters’ Club Borthwick’s six years service at Bayview was recognised along with Peter McQuade, Dave Clarke and Dave Gorman. 3,379 fans turned out to pay tribute to the four stalwarts with English first division side Wolverhampton Wanderers providing the opposition in a testimonial match.

1973-74 turned out to be Borthwick’s last season in East Fife colours as the Fifers suffered relegation. After 228 appearances and 35 goals for the club a move to St Mirren ensued, where he would later play under Alex Ferguson. This was followed by short spell with St Johnstone and an even briefer return to Love Street, before a return to Fife to join Dunfermline Athletic. In 1980-81 Borthwick hung up his boots, but continued his love of the game as a coach with Hearts and with the SFA in East Lothian, also managing Arbroath in 1991-92.

Walter Borthwick will be remembered as an industrious versatile player, always with his sleeves rolled up, ready for battle. Off the field he was kind, benevolent and generous and will be sadly missed by the many people he influenced during his time in the game.

East Fife Football Club would like to pass on our sincere condolences to Walter’s family and friends at this sad time.

East Fife

EAST FIFE FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT

SPFL TRIBUNAL RULING 29th APRIL 2021

By now you will all be aware that East Fife players refused to play our scheduled SPFL League 1 game against Clyde on Tuesday (27th April 2021). We were informed that a Clyde FC player had returned a positive COVID-19 test result only two minutes ahead of the scheduled 7.00pm kick off.

At that time, the player had been in the dressing room and warming up with the other players before being withdrawn after the positive result came to light. When our players and management were informed of this, they took the stance that the risk of infection was too great, leaving the match referee no option other than to postpone the match.

The decision of the players and management was fully backed by myself & the board of directors of East Fife Football Club.

We received a notice of complaint from the SPFL on Wednesday (28th April 2021) charging us with breaching SPFL rules G5 & G53 in that we failed to fulfil a scheduled league fixture, a charge we immediately accepted.

A tribunal was convened yesterday (29th April 2021) at which we were able to put forward our reasons for reaching our decision on Tuesday night. We were treated very cordially by the tribunal panel who listened to our case but informed us that the game should have been played as the risk of transmission of COVID-19 between players on the field of play is very low.

We do understand, particularly at this difficult time, that the importance of completing the fixtures is paramount and that any postponement at this stage of the season could have had a serious implication on the completion of the league programme.

After deliberation, the tribunal panel informed us that we would be fined £11,000, with £10,000 suspended, and that the game against Clyde FC would be rescheduled for next Thursday (6th May 2021). We accept the decision of the tribunal unreservedly.

I would like to put on record that East Fife Football Club does not apportion any blame on our friends at Clyde FC. They were also placed in a difficult situation and we look forward to playing them next Thursday.

Lastly, we have been overwhelmed by messages of support, not only from our own fans but the whole Scottish Football Community. The setting up of a GoFundMe page has raised a staggering amount of money in a matter of hours and we have been contacted by others offering financial support. We are eternally grateful for the support and financial backing shown to us during a difficult week.

Jim Stevenson

Chairman

6 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

It’s just about that time again. Who is already signed up for next season. Who else would you keep. Who would you let go. Who do you want to sign up for next season.

According to transfermarkt, the players signed up for next season so far are Ross Dunlop, Aaron Dunsmore, Scott Agnew, Ross Davidson, Liam Newton, Danny Swanson, and Ryan Wallace

If there is any truth to the rumour that Aggy is heading to Darvel I would be open to getting a fee from Darvel to release him, don’t think he’s been good enough this season for the wages hes no doubt on. Think it’s time to put some trust in to Liam Newton who has been brilliant when given the opportunity to play this season.

There was certainly a mention of Darvel being interested at the beginning of the current season. I think that most fans would agree that Aggie is not the same player this season and perhaps a move might be right for all parties concerned. Personally I am not convinced that Aggie and Swanson can play in the same team.

A lot of decisions to be made initially by the BOD starting with the manager especially with Peter Grant leaving Alloa this season and Darren Young being a previous captain of Alloa . On the pitch, many decisions to be made by the manager on who ,in addition to the afore mentioned players should be offerred a contract.This weeks EFM stating that DY has approached a few of the current players to establish their intentions for next season whilst also stating him as knowing which players he would like to bring in. Additionally , I presume that a few under 20's  may be considered for promotion.

An interesting few months ahead.

In terms of who to keep, who to let go, who do we need to sign...

Goalkeepers: I'd be happy to re-sign both Long and Hart. I think they're both good first choice keepers at L1. Personally, Brett Long is number one for me. If Hart was to move on, I'm happy bringing in a young keeper or loanee as number 2 and equally, if Brett moves on, I'd be happy going with Hart as number 1. Ideally I'd make signing Brett a priority. If Hart wants to stay, fine with that. If he moves on, it might free up a bit of budget somewhere else so wouldn't be overly bothered.

Defence: Definitely want to re-sign Murdoch, Watson and Higgins. They've all played well this season. Priority for me would be signing an out and out left back. Pat Slattery has been a fantastic servant to the club and I'd be happy to re-sign him but left back isn't his natural position and there are times it shows. I'm happy with our centre backs but I do think we could do with a no-nonsense, headers and tackles, dominant centre back to play alongside one of them. So I wouldn't mind bringing someone like that in (would 100% take Ryan McGeever) and possibly move Higgins out to left back instead of signing a LB. He's played well out there and he's obviously not going to be an attack-minded, overlapping full back but I think he could play a similar role to Gary Naysmith. A defensively solid full back who let's the left winger concentrate on attacking and who's distribution is good enough that playing out from the left back position is a good option. Happy to re-sign Slattery as he's a solid player who can play a few positions and always gives 100%. I'd be sad to see him go but I could live with it.

Midfield: We've got Dunsmore, Davidson, Agnew, Swanson and Newton signed already. If Aggy goes to Darvel or wherenever and he get a wee fee for him, I wouldn't be too bothered. He hasn't been up to his usual standard this season and I think it is difficult to play him and Swanson in the same team. Aside from the young players that leaves Watt and Denholm. I really like Liam Watt and I'd like to see him re-sign. Danny Denholm is a tough one, he's scored an impressive amount of goals but I just don't feel we get enough good performances out of him. Wouldn't be up or down whether he stays or goes. I'm not sure we're in desperate need of someone in a particular position or a particular type of player. Depends how we want to play next season. But I think we should just generally be on the lookout for anyone that can improve on what we have.

Forwards: Kev Smith is the only one not under contract for next season and I'd definitely keep him. He's had his best season in a while and we know we're not getting 36 90 mins out of him but he's still a great player to have in the squad. Priority here is getting a centre forward that can fill the hole Jack Hamilton left. Easier said that done and that's the kind of player everyone in the league will be looking to bring in. I'm not sure Collins is ready to be much more than back up but we'll see.

Also, I'm definitely in the keep Darren Young camp so hopefully Darren and Tony also sign new contracts.

I don't think we should be thinging about moving on Agnew or trying to replace him.

I am sure he would be the first to admit that he has been a bit off the pace this season, but we shouldn't forgot how good he was for us the previous season.   I would not be judging anyone on this season and I think we should be looking for him to get back to the level we know he can play at once we get back to a more normal routine.   None of us know what has been going on with players in their own lives away from football over the past 12 months, and I think we should be giving part-time players the benefit of the doubt if they weren't quite at it this season.

DY will be best placed to make these decisions, and I am happy to back his judgement on this as I think during his time at EF, player recruitment has been one of his strongest areas.

Edited by fifer

7 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

In terms of who to keep, who to let go, who do we need to sign...

Goalkeepers: I'd be happy to re-sign both Long and Hart. I think they're both good first choice keepers at L1. Personally, Brett Long is number one for me. If Hart was to move on, I'm happy bringing in a young keeper or loanee as number 2 and equally, if Brett moves on, I'd be happy going with Hart as number 1. Ideally I'd make signing Brett a priority. If Hart wants to stay, fine with that. If he moves on, it might free up a bit of budget somewhere else so wouldn't be overly bothered.

Defence: Definitely want to re-sign Murdoch, Watson and Higgins. They've all played well this season. Priority for me would be signing an out and out left back. Pat Slattery has been a fantastic servant to the club and I'd be happy to re-sign him but left back isn't his natural position and there are times it shows. I'm happy with our centre backs but I do think we could do with a no-nonsense, headers and tackles, dominant centre back to play alongside one of them. So I wouldn't mind bringing someone like that in (would 100% take Ryan McGeever) and possibly move Higgins out to left back instead of signing a LB. He's played well out there and he's obviously not going to be an attack-minded, overlapping full back but I think he could play a similar role to Gary Naysmith. A defensively solid full back who let's the left winger concentrate on attacking and who's distribution is good enough that playing out from the left back position is a good option. Happy to re-sign Slattery as he's a solid player who can play a few positions and always gives 100%. I'd be sad to see him go but I could live with it.

Midfield: We've got Dunsmore, Davidson, Agnew, Swanson and Newton signed already. If Aggy goes to Darvel or wherenever and he get a wee fee for him, I wouldn't be too bothered. He hasn't been up to his usual standard this season and I think it is difficult to play him and Swanson in the same team. Aside from the young players that leaves Watt and Denholm. I really like Liam Watt and I'd like to see him re-sign. Danny Denholm is a tough one, he's scored an impressive amount of goals but I just don't feel we get enough good performances out of him. Wouldn't be up or down whether he stays or goes. I'm not sure we're in desperate need of someone in a particular position or a particular type of player. Depends how we want to play next season. But I think we should just generally be on the lookout for anyone that can improve on what we have.

Forwards: Kev Smith is the only one not under contract for next season and I'd definitely keep him. He's had his best season in a while and we know we're not getting 36 90 mins out of him but he's still a great player to have in the squad. Priority here is getting a centre forward that can fill the hole Jack Hamilton left. Easier said that done and that's the kind of player everyone in the league will be looking to bring in. I'm not sure Collins is ready to be much more than back up but we'll see.

Also, I'm definitely in the keep Darren Young camp so hopefully Darren and Tony also sign new contracts.

Pretty much spot on with what I'd like & certainly agree with McGeaver. 

Would be difficult to replace Aggy or Murdoch if they leave though. 

7 hours ago, fifer said:

I don't think we should be thinging about moving on Agnew or trying to replace him.

I am sure he would be the first to admit that he has been a bit off the pace this season, but we shouldn't forgot how good he was for us the previous season.   I would not be judging anyone on this season and I think we should be looking for him to get back to the level we know he can play at once we get back to a more normal routine.   None of us know what has been going on with players in their own lives away from football over the past 12 months, and I think we should be giving part-time players the benefit of the doubt if they weren't quite at it this season.

DY will be best placed to make these decisions, and I am happy to back his judgement on this as I think during his time at EF, player recruitment has been one of his strongest areas.

Been wondering if some players struggle to get up for it with no crowds. They are human after all, been hard enough being a fan this season. 

I assume nearly all fans will be glad that the season is over. Mental asking part time teams to play all those games in such a short space of time. Big big decisions are now awaiting but until we officially know if Darren Young will continue in his management role then well all be left in suspense . The squad fillers that came in for the mad part of the season will be returning to their parent club.Think it’s fair to say few of them proved themselves . Personally I think the squad needs a big overhaul as we seem to be stagnant. We need to see a freshness to the squad and hopefully the right personnel can be identified. Hope Darren stays on but you would have thought things would have been tied up by now. Difficult to get players to commit to a manager who might not be there when season begins. The board might be looking to go in a different direction and maybe can’t see any progress being made under Darrens leadership. Having said that we are usually very loyal to our managers so I’d be surprised if Darren was to go it would probably be his decision.