The East Fife Thread

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Danny Swanson doesn't seem to play much with you lot,what's up with him?Big money signing for you lot would have thought he would have been in the team every week.

He’s been injured since the start of the season, any league appearances he has made have been him slowly coming back from said injury!!!

Hopefully we will start to see  more of him over the coming weeks!!!

I think some of the hysteria has been baffling since Saturday to be honest. Fans on Facebook calling for Young to be sacked, one even wanting the board to be sacked.
It's been a very disappointing start to the season, I for one have questioned some tactical decisions and selections, but we're not marooned to the bottom of the league, it's a sticky patch and one I'm confident we'll come through.
Couple of questions for me:
1. Where should we be in the overall standings in Scottish Football?
2. Who do you replace Young with?

I'll give my answers. I think we're a mid table League 1 side. Might push to play offs and a very occasional season in the Championship but might have a poor season and find ourselves in trouble. At absolutely no point do I think we'll get relegated to League 2 this season.
I'll preempt the Naysmith/Kevin Smith shouts. Gary was excellent with us but remember all his success was in the league below and although I can see Smith being a future manager, for me it's too soon.

I think some of the hysteria has been baffling since Saturday to be honest. Fans on Facebook calling for Young to be sacked, one even wanting the board to be sacked.
It's been a very disappointing start to the season, I for one have questioned some tactical decisions and selections, but we're not marooned to the bottom of the league, it's a sticky patch and one I'm confident we'll come through.

I'll give my answers. I think we're a mid table League 1 side. Might push to play offs and a very occasional season in the Championship but might have a poor season and find ourselves in trouble. At absolutely no point do I think we'll get relegated to League 2 this season.
I'll preempt the Naysmith/Kevin Smith shouts. Gary was excellent with us but remember all his success was in the league below and although I can see Smith being a future manager, for me it's too soon.

There’s always some proper handwringing after a defeat, we are not the only club who have supporters like that. The season has been pretty disappointing after a pretty optimistic ‘pre-season’ with a few additions, however the likes of Swanson and Collins have been nearly non existent so far. The squad is a decent League 1 side, but I think Young has failed to address the left back issue and we have seen several teams target that side with decent success. I like Slattery but we needed a natural left back. The 4-4-2 system which served us well last season, has now exposed many frailties, and it’s good to see Young now addressing this issue with a tweak to the system.

Saturday vs Forfar is now a big game already and we really need to put a marker down.

To answer your questions, I think you’ve got it spot on with your own answer. A mid table League 1 side with Championship football from time to time is probably where we are at at the moment with Alloa and Arbroath being the role models. Saying that, both of those sides are struggling this year.

As for Young, I’m not calling for him to go, but eventually managers and players reach the end of their cycle and change is needed to freshen things up again. We’ve had players with us for a number of seasons now and without adequate competition, complacency begins to creep in. Arbroath and Dick Campbell maybe having the same issues at the moment?

The trouble with a 442 is you need full backs who have a fantastic engine who can get up and down the park. You also need good mobility from your midfield. We clearly do not have the players in our squad at the moment to play this way. Only thing for debate is with the players we have what is another system that can be used to get the best out of our squad. I would like to see a match fit Kyle Bell back giving us a bit of presence in the middle of the park. He can do the dirty work in a 5 in the middle. When we are away from home it’s like we seem to be happy to let the opposition dictate, and are happy to sit off. We need a bit more grit and determination to win our personnel battles on the pitch. Our performances away from home in the league so far have been nothing short of pathetic, Your not going to win every game but there is ways to lose , but for some reason or another we haven’t put up much of a fight. At the end of the day it’s the manager who has the job of putting the players on the park who he can trust to give him 100% every week not just when they fancy it. 

On 14/12/2020 at 18:48, fatdoug1938 said:

I think the table below clearly answers question 1. My personal option is that some fans expectations of the club are beyond what the club can deliver at this point in time, especially during a worldwide pandemic and irrespective of who is the manager in charge. Results and performances have been poor so far, but like Doug I believe they will improve. I'm sure that the players are aware that they are under-performing, but the only way they can change that is on the park. Hopefully, they can start on Saturday against Forfar. 

1544700012_EFFCSPFLHistoricalData.thumb.png.179f48437f6a78a06d47c846a1de0be5.png

As disappointing as this start has been, I broadly agree with the above. I think getting rid of DY now is a bit too hasty, I think a lot of the issues we have in the team at present would remain. We've improved a lot over the last few years from getting out of the bottom tier and re-establishing ourselves in League 1 which is, pretty clearly, our level. I understand fans frustrations because we've had a good 5 years with lots of positives and we should be aiming to keep pushing, but there also has to be an element of realism.

We want to model Alloa/Arbroath/Dumbarton from a few years ago, but there's no magic wand to do that. And my personal side note is that, despite us having a fantastic board in place at present, I think we will struggle to really progress beyond the level we're at now without a change in ownership which I don't think is on the horizon anytime soon. 

As disappointing as this start has been, I broadly agree with the above. I think getting rid of DY now is a bit too hasty, I think a lot of the issues we have in the team at present would remain. We've improved a lot over the last few years from getting out of the bottom tier and re-establishing ourselves in League 1 which is, pretty clearly, our level. I understand fans frustrations because we've had a good 5 years with lots of positives and we should be aiming to keep pushing, but there also has to be an element of realism.
We want to model Alloa/Arbroath/Dumbarton from a few years ago, but there's no magic wand to do that. And my personal side note is that, despite us having a fantastic board in place at present, I think we will struggle to really progress beyond the level we're at now without a change in ownership which I don't think is on the horizon anytime soon. 

Totally agree- standing back on any measure we have improved over the past few years- its a sign of our improvement that we are rightfully frustrated at our current position and indeed performances.

It can all change very quickly. We need Aggie to find some form this season( at his best he is one of the best in the league and at 33 still has years ahead of him) . We need Dunsmore also back bringing much speed and energy on the righthand side.

We are threatening up front and have a lethal goal scorer( though we may miss Tonks energy). It just the left side of midfield and defence that worries me- but not sure we have the personal to make the changes their unless we play a back 3 with Higgy on the left.- would also give Watt a chance.

A win at the weekend is vital for team morale( and fans!)

It's going to be one of those season where we're going to bounce up and down the table. Falkirk are going to run away with this league. outside of Partick Thistle who really should be challenging Falkirk for the Championship. anyone could finish 3rd-10th in this league. 

Edited by Rbon

1 hour ago, tazz1903 said:

Win our game in hand?  can put us in play off position 👌

Think we do need win away from home than think of any games in hand tazz 🤔 lets think of next week in Dumbarton and did what we did at home when they visited bayview.

2 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Think we do need win away from home than think of any games in hand tazz 🤔 lets think of next week in Dumbarton and did what we did at home when they visited bayview.

Just trying to generate some positive vibes, push us up the table.