The East Fife Thread

1st 3 away games to arguably the 3 strongest teams in the league but we have been embarrassing. Hart gets targeted by some but goalkeeper is not the problem. Serious rethink of tactics,  starting 11 and system reqd and why so long before hooking players who are not contributing.

Edited by Spirit of the Mound
A wee typo

When we signed Denholm, there were Forfar & Arbroath fans saying he was finished at this level, whereas I think thats a bit harsh, he doesn't seem to contribute much, other than raising the club's profile though being a columnist. Get Watt back in the starting 11, if Swanson isnt fit enough to start.

Still we're only 3 points from a play off place & if that's still the case after the 1st 3rd of the season, I'd take that.

Much has been made of our tough run of fixtures so far, but now we really need to start winning these perceived easier games  that are coming up!

I am mildly concerned about what's happening so far this season. I think if you looked back posts from last season, you'd see a lot of fans that went to the games expressing a lot of concern about our defence, but in terms of goals conceded we were the 4th of 5th best defence in the league, which ended up representing where we ended up. At the time a lot of us were worried that, particularly at corners, we looked very shaky  but at times it just looked like we were searching for something to complain about given our strong league position.

I think if the football statisticians that calculate xG did so all the way down to League 1 level, our expected league position would have been different last year and I am now worried that we're beginning to see the real state of things at the back. There were a few shouts to get Higgins to left back, or Dunsmore as left wing back, which frankly are utterly insane to me. We'll be in a better place to fully assess things in 4/5 games time when we've played everyone once and can have a more accurate reflection of where we are, because in fairness to the squad we've had a very, very tough start to the season, but if we're sitting 9th in January then something will have to change in the transfer window.

26 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I am mildly concerned about what's happening so far this season. I think if you looked back posts from last season, you'd see a lot of fans that went to the games expressing a lot of concern about our defence, but in terms of goals conceded we were the 4th of 5th best defence in the league, which ended up representing where we ended up. At the time a lot of us were worried that, particularly at corners, we looked very shaky  but at times it just looked like we were searching for something to complain about given our strong league position.

I think if the football statisticians that calculate xG did so all the way down to League 1 level, our expected league position would have been different last year and I am now worried that we're beginning to see the real state of things at the back. There were a few shouts to get Higgins to left back, or Dunsmore as left wing back, which frankly are utterly insane to me. We'll be in a better place to fully assess things in 4/5 games time when we've played everyone once and can have a more accurate reflection of where we are, because in fairness to the squad we've had a very, very tough start to the season, but if we're sitting 9th in January then something will have to change in the transfer window.

I would think any East Fife fan who had the misfortune of watching that utter shambles yesterday will be very worried. The manager simply has to come up with a change that makes us more competitive and harder to beat. Change is definitely needed as that 442 system has us conceding far too easily. If the opposition target our left side it’s just a matter of time before we concede. We’ll be able to tell a lot of Darren Young’s tactical expertise when we see how he sets up against Clyde. We are far to open and the midfield is miles of it. No one protecting the back line or linking with the frontline. It’s the manner of the defeats we’re not even putting up half a fight which worries me, Lets hope some strong words in training this week can change a lot of attitudes. 

55 minutes ago, 7 Eleven said:

East Fife performed pretty much bang on their xG for and against last season. However, Montrose massively over-performed in 4th place, which is another indication of the great job Stewart Petrie and co. are doing there.  

FEB94222-BBF3-4D73-A181-5C7E3297CB0C.jpeg

Genuinely surprised at that. Who compiled this, out of interest? 

On 21/11/2020 at 17:27, Rbon said:

Hopefully some good experience for the young lads.

We Hope so. Tacos only played two games or so really hope he and others gets as much game time at the clubs they will be at and involved as much whilst they are there with their development league on hold.

big game well every game will be but this is third bottom vs second bottom this weekend.

And incidentally set up another two, don’t think he’ll be there too long, should be starting or at least pushing to be starting at the moment, good he’s getting match fit and essential game time but looking at how ineffectual or current midfield is he needs to be brought back sooner rather than later!!!

On 21/11/2020 at 21:56, Diamond Oracle said:

Surprised to see East Fife starting so poorly this season. What’s gone wrong?

We have had a very tough start. Three away games to Cove, Falkirk and Partick. Potentially the three toughest fixtures we'll have all season. 4 points from home games against Dumbarton and Montrose isn't bad. I think we'll have a better gauge of where we are after the next four games.

That being said, we were very, very poor in those three loses. You feel like last season, those were games we might have lost or drawn but we would have been competitive in. We lost all three very comfortably this season.

The next 4/5 games will deiced what we have to worry about. 
The left side of our defence is a major problem that needs to be fixed though teams seem to have figured out where our weakness is and are exploiting it.

We have a history of going on long runs good and bad. Hope its the former!

Last week was our worst performance so far this season. We can be a threat to anyone going forward- need to address the bad mistakes at the back. Hope Watt gets a chance on the left as he can support the left side of the defence.

We also need more energy in the midfield- we have plenty of experience in the middle and the front- I sometimes fear that is at the expense of youth and energy.

Will take any win- we need to keep the best forward in the league quiet which is no easy task.