The East Fife Thread

Another cracking episode of the GLORY DAYS OF GOLD podcast, with an absolutely hilarious interview with the Legend that is Jonny Smart, his story about Bobby Linn missing the SPFA awards is unbelievable and will surely go down in history!!!
He obviously still carries some feelings for the Rovers but we can gloss over that!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

His description of Raith fans was pretty accurate and also liked when he was talking about other players in his best 11 and that Montrose team, calling them ‘all sh*te’.

Can’t wait to see him manage us though...

What was the description?

He was out his depth at full time level and I’m sorry Mr Smart you were honking , All football fans are critical of players that don’t do the business on the park and rightly or wrongly that’s what happened to him .

I don’t think he will dispute that, hence why he played at league 1 level. He came on leaps and bounds with Steven Tweed alongside him though. Certainly not the best defender we’ve had at Bayview over recent years but certainly a cult hero and a fans favourite.

48 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Aye he liked to speak about what he was going to do to Shaun Dennis but didn't have the balls to say it to his face. As a football player he wasn't very good.

Perhaps you should listen to the interview, Dennis actually gets quite a bit of praise from him, learnt a lot from him etc!!!

What a signing Swanson is. Can't wait to see him and Aggy in the same midfield. It seems a bit like Darren might have an eye on having a bit more flexibility with the shape of the midfield. We've been pretty solidly 442 for a few seasons and the squad has been built around that. Adding Swanson, it looks like we could easily switch to a 5 or even a 3. We're quite midfield heavy at the moment with probably only a couple of permanent signings to go at most so it'll be interesting to see how we line up when the season starts.

Fair enough KK but I can only tell you what I heard with my own ears. It was at the end of the season awards night and if I remember he was on his way. Shaun at that time was either coach or was interim manager of the Rovers. If you are correct with what you have said maybe time has had something to do with it. I'm glad he was a cult hero with yourselves as I cannot understand why people boo and abuse players in their team. I never have and never will.

Any idea which particular areas Darren Young is looking at for cover in the squad? Could still do with a tall-ish striker, left back and a dominant CM midfielder
Before Swanson it was a striker and left back, so I am guessing it's the same with at least one of them being a loan.

I still think we could add at least two to make the first team squad at 21 not 19, but yeah a left back and some tallish Peter crouch goal machine would do for this squad in those areas.

at the moment we’re 75 days to go to us travelling up to cove so early days to be rushing things then there’s the loan market which the rules have been upgraded to six mind though we don’t have to use all six so you got to mind that.

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer

11 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

I still think we could add at least two to make the first team squad at 21 not 19, but yeah a left back and some tallish Peter crouch goal machine would do for this squad in those areas.

at the moment we’re 75 days to go to us travelling up to cove so early days to be rushing things then there’s the loan market which the rules have been upgraded to six mind though we don’t have to use all six so you got to mind that.

I think that the loan market will be negatively affected by the 5 subs & 9 on the bench rule this season.

For example, Innes Cameron on a season long loan would have been a perfect move for both clubs & the player, based on his age, level of experience & the fact he was out the whole of last season with an injury (acl I think). Now I can see him staying at Killie this season & getting limited playing minutes. He was an unused sub on week 1. I’m sure he is in the last year of his contract too, so he really needs to be playing regularly at some level.

On 01/08/2020 at 08:08, RandomGuy. said:

There wasnt enough game weeks to finish last season (Rangers v St Johnstone was still outstanding after being postponed in November). 

This season you're going to have to fit in all the Betfred Cup Group games, and all the delayed European and Scottish Cup games/postponed games due to these, into a season that will be shorter due to the Euros at the end. 

Last seasons leauges are finished.

SC 19-20: Three games left, four teams and will be finished by December 2020

Europe 19-20: has one Scottish team left and will be finished by 23rd Augusy 2020

Europe 20-21: ?

Euro 2020: Scotland have not yet qualified, max 2 games if they do and the finals have yet to be re-scheduled, they might nt even take palce.

Betfred: Late start in Oct but finished by February, all bar 8 teams out by November,

SC 20-21: Can't find any thing substasive exept final penciled infor May by UEFA.

I don't see much in there to say it's going to be hectic (winter excluded), maybe the SC will be the the main disrupter.

58 minutes ago, McBrian said:

Last seasons leauges are finished.

My point was there weren't enough gameweeks to complete all the games before the split. Rangers v St Johnstone due in November time had no free date until after the split, which is obviously ridiculous. 

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point was there weren't enough gameweeks to complete all the games before the split. Rangers v St Johnstone due in November time had no free date until after the split, which is obviously ridiculous. 

SPFL incompetence 🙂