The East Fife Thread

One of those panicked faces was mine - I remember it very well!

The atmosphere was electric that day, my face would have been a picture when Alan Irvine waltzed round Gordon Marshall to make it 2-0 though. What a bloody good team we had then, didn’t win a league game til October & missed out on promotion to the top league by a couple of points. I don’t think we really appreciated how good we were that season. Had the heart ripped out the following season losing Marshall & Burgess to Falkirk & were never the same again!

What a game this was. We arrived late and watched the game in the enclosure under the stand. The atmosphere gradually grew more hostile as the game progressed, with East Fife getting on top. I remember my girlfriend getting spat on near the end as East Fife pressed for the winner. 

Everyone piled on the park at the final whistle. I can mind congratulating Hugh Hill, a lovely guy and much under-rated player, who would end up at Falkirk. It was also Stevie Kirk's second farewell appearance for the Fife. We headed back to Fife learning that Hearts had blown their title chances at Dens Park. 

Just another day in Scottish fitba

We were nervous for obvious reasons, but we had more than just "nearly promoted" nerves.

Our home record was absolutely appalling that season. So many points thrown away time after time. Gilmour, McGuire and Irvine kept bailing us out away from home as the end approached, and we even went away to runaway winners Hamilton and pumped them 3-0 with a few weeks to go.

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We were nervous for obvious reasons, but we had more than just "nearly promoted" nerves.

Our home record was absolutely appalling that season. So many points thrown away time after time. Gilmour, McGuire and Irvine kept bailing us out away from home as the end approached, and we even went away to runaway winners Hamilton and pumped them 3-0 with a few weeks to go.

I am gobsmacked that footage of this game is available, will be brilliant to see it. Well done to the Bairns for unearthing it & particularly well done to the guy who did the handle turning for a full 90 minutes on the cine camera

On 08/06/2020 at 22:22, LiamA said:

The atmosphere was electric that day, my face would have been a picture when Alan Irvine waltzed round Gordon Marshall to make it 2-0 though. What a bloody good team we had then, didn’t win a league game til October & missed out on promotion to the top league by a couple of points. I don’t think we really appreciated how good we were that season. Had the heart ripped out the following season losing Marshall & Burgess to Falkirk & were never the same again!

Happy days! Irvine was excellent that game and pity he wasn’t as good when he played for us! 
Was this the same season we went to Douglas Park and Durie scored a hat trick? 

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Can we use big Jimmy Anderson's free cash to build a terrace behind the goals please? 😇

Much as I would love to see terracing at Bayview, the last time home supporters had the option of standing, v Dunfermline in 2014, only around 20 - 30 took it up. The rest preferred to sit in the stand. 

Times do change however. I'm sure the young team would appreciate a space to make as much noise as possible. 

Not surprising really. Presumably, the full-time contract offers on the table have to be more than he's currently earning as a PT player on top of his other work, whatever that may be, for him to be persuaded to sign. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Go on Tonks! Another year at East Fife won't hurt!