The East Fife Thread

Now I have time... You have the makings of a good squad but that has been the case for the past couple of seasons now. You've flattered to deceive though. Some excellent results against teams from higher divisions etc but haven't managed to break into the playoff spots yet. To suggest that the same squad that has that record could compete at any level in Scotland is obviously trolling. With that in mind, what do you see as being a realistic target for the club?

Fwiw and I know (championship Forum for this pish) we have the makings of a decent championship team. There's not many of our players that are at premiership level right now.

Haha my point was more that squad of players could hold their own, or match teams in all of Scottish league's.

Yeah they won't against the old firm etc at all but I think those players would 9/10 give a good account of themselves in each league we could be in.

Haha that was more my point [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Just like your squad of players who would do alright too as long as you keep the good ones in and about it like Tait, Mcdonald, Vaughan and Hendry.

10 hours ago, grumswall said:

Now I have time... You have the makings of a good squad but that has been the case for the past couple of seasons now. You've flattered to deceive though. Some excellent results against teams from higher divisions etc but haven't managed to break into the playoff spots yet. To suggest that the same squad that has that record could compete at any level in Scotland is obviously trolling. With that in mind, what do you see as being a realistic target for the club?

Fwiw and I know (championship Forum for this pish) we have the makings of a decent championship team. There's not many of our players that are at premiership level right now.

It's true that we've had decent squads on paper and had great results and runs for the past few seasons but have failed to finish in the top 4. I can't help the feeling that we're just one or two players off having a squad that can go and actually compete for promotion.

Why has the same squad of players not achieved that? You've went on good runs in patches but never pushed on. I'm not trolling with it. Genuinely curious to see what you guys think and what your ambitions are. As iv said many times Iv enjoyed my visits to New Bayview and think you have a good setup.

It's true that we've had decent squads on paper and had great results and runs for the past few seasons but have failed to finish in the top 4. I can't help the feeling that we're just one or two players off having a squad that can go and actually compete for promotion.

Bit of an unfair statement, who’s to say that this squad wouldn’t have made the Top 4, the season wasn’t finished you may recall and was stopped before all games were played, Surely grumswall must remember his Team were gifted a trophy because if it!!!
Looking at the games we still had to play I am more than confident that we would have made one of the Play-Off spots last season, but I do agree that we are probably two or three players away from being a fucking excellent side rather than just a pretty good one!!!

Bit of an unfair statement, who’s to say that this squad wouldn’t have made the Top 4, the season wasn’t finished you may recall and was stopped before all games were played, Surely grumswall must remember his Team were gifted a trophy because if it!!!
Looking at the games we still had to play I am more than confident that we would have made one of the Play-Off spots last season, but I do agree that we are probably two or three players away from being a fucking excellent side rather than just a pretty good one!!!

We could argue about what could have happened all day but the reality is your inconsistency throughout the season had you in 5th when it has mattered. Our consistency has had us top of the league for the vast majority of the season and subsequently we've been promoted. I'm unsure how finishing outwith the playoff spots two seasons in a row makes your team a pretty good one. It's more of an average team which is two or three players away from being a pretty good one.

Arguing that we have a squad that could "compete with anyone" is utterly bonkers. The squad is a top half League 1 squad, and with 3 or 4 additions is a team capable of promotion. That's the gist of things. 

Arguing that we have a squad that could "compete with anyone" is utterly bonkers. The squad is a top half League 1 squad, and with 3 or 4 additions is a team capable of promotion. That's the gist of things. 
I never even said that though haha.

All I said was I think that's squad could hold their own in whatever league they were in (championship in a 14/14/14 or league 1 in a 12/10/10/10).

They would certainly not be disgraced like the season that Brechin were in the championship and managed 4 points....

Not meaning they would win the league's etc.

22 hours ago, grumswall said:

Now I have time... You have the makings of a good squad but that has been the case for the past couple of seasons now. You've flattered to deceive though. Some excellent results against teams from higher divisions etc but haven't managed to break into the playoff spots yet. To suggest that the same squad that has that record could compete at any level in Scotland is obviously trolling. With that in mind, what do you see as being a realistic target for the season?

It is possble the curtailment of last season stopped the rot that had maybe set in after our cup exit to BSC. Last season we had Duggan out long term, Smith hardly kicked a ball, Wallace missed a few games & was probably rushed back & Tonks never looked himself after Christmas, probably needed a rest?

This squad hasn't fallen short due to lack of ability, but individual errors in games have proved costly too often. We have gelled as a squad, hopefully another season together will bring a 5-10% further improvement & we may be up there at the business end of the season.

Signing so many up may be a dangerous strategy, but others, who are effectivly hibernating, will be left trying to scramble around assembling a team when we get the go ahead. Others may bring in a few released Premiership gems, but we can steal a march, not having to spend the first 10 games, or so getting to know one another, which might help when the enevitable slump comes!

I'm happy with where we are at this moment in time & commend the board and management on this

15 hours ago, King Kebab said:

You really must start reigning in that wayward mind of yours, its like you live life in an alternate reality...

On 28/05/2020 at 12:30, King Kebab said:

Shows you the percentages that footballers careers go with, remember the last game against the Rovers, he came on as a sub with about 5 minutes to go, score at 3-4 and nearly equalised with his first touch , when we were on top in the game we may even have went on to win, it was by no means an easy chance but if he had scored, instant hero status, his first goal for the Club, a possibility of starting the next few games after that, performance enhanced with a much needed boost in confidence and he might have stepped up, scored a few more goals in the remaining games, got the offer of a new contract but he didn’t, we lost, he’s left!!!  

...oh never mind! 

9 hours ago, pantene proV said:

You really must start reigning in that wayward mind of yours, its like you live life in an alternate reality...

...oh never mind! 

Sorry, what???

3 hours ago, pantene proV said:

Stop talking in hypotheticals and assumptions. Its pointless. That last post I quoted you was fuckin wild!

I’m as confident in the fact that we would have reached a Play-Off position, just as the Rovers would have, come the seasons end!!!

Hypotheticals and assumptions, two of the main foundations that P&B was built upon , if you don’t like them then perhaps Football Forums just aren’t for you, perhaps you should just bury your head in the Wee Red Book and save the rest of us from your twee unassumingness!!!

17 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

It is possble the curtailment of last season stopped the rot that had maybe set in after our cup exit to BSC. Last season we had Duggan out long term, Smith hardly kicked a ball, Wallace missed a few games & was probably rushed back & Tonks never looked himself after Christmas, probably needed a rest?

This squad hasn't fallen short due to lack of ability, but individual errors in games have proved costly too often. We have gelled as a squad, hopefully another season together will bring a 5-10% further improvement & we may be up there at the business end of the season.

Signing so many up may be a dangerous strategy, but others, who are effectivly hibernating, will be left trying to scramble around assembling a team when we get the go ahead. Others may bring in a few released Premiership gems, but we can steal a march, not having to spend the first 10 games, or so getting to know one another, which might help when the enevitable slump comes!

I'm happy with where we are at this moment in time & commend the board and management on this

Given the last few years seem to have seen a decent squad that just missed because of this and that, the question becomes what is the common factor? Coach, team model, player selection or other.

Coach - 3 years, net from 124 games of 46-23-55. Two percent lower winning percentage than at Albion, finished sixth, seventh and fifth. Often mentioned as seeking a full-time position when jobs open up.

Team Model - Part-time. Would EFFC seek to move to hybrid or full-time to seek promotion or after promotion. Open question simply because of EFFC’s stable financial position, which is part and parcel of the part-time.

Player selection - Can’t really address this one, not familiar with turnover and choices.

Other - same as above.

So, what am I missing? To me, without knowing if there is a significant issue within player signing, retention and selection, the common factor in mediocrity seems to be DY. And all those factor are heavily influenced by the coach too.

You may well be correct. However you cannot fault the quality & effort of his team. The coach can prepare the team to a point, but you cannot legislate for individual errors, or injuries. We've proved on or day, we can compete with better ranked teams than ourselves, the difficulty is doing it consistently.

It's certainly been more exciting under DY, than I've seen in the past (and I include twice when I've seen us on a procession towards titles), you never know what to expect & we've a team of characters, who've grown together, its not that long ago since we were in the third tier without a player on our books, we've come a long way, on a journey that started under Gary Naysmith. Player & management consistency have contributed greatly, along with hard work from the board. The players certainly seem happy to sign for this club/manager.

Where can we go? If you'd said 10 months ago, both Arbroath & Alloa would survive in the Championship, you'd have been laughed at, are they bigger than East Fife? No, further on, yes. Dumbarton survived for several seasons at that level, they all give us hope we can also. Baby steps though, I certainly think missing out on a play off again, would be a big failure.

Happy & optimistic (and I'm normally a negative pessimist!).

You may well be correct. However you cannot fault the quality & effort of his team. The coach can prepare the team to a point, but you cannot legislate for individual errors, or injuries. We've proved on or day, we can compete with better ranked teams than ourselves, the difficulty is doing it consistently.
It's certainly been more exciting under DY, than I've seen in the past (and I include twice when I've seen us on a procession towards titles), you never know what to expect & we've a team of characters, who've grown together, its not that long ago since we were in the third tier without a player on our books, we've come a long way, on a journey that started under Gary Naysmith. Player & management consistency have contributed greatly, along with hard work from the board. The players certainly seem happy to sign for this club/manager.
Where can we go? If you'd said 10 months ago, both Arbroath & Alloa would survive in the Championship, you'd have been laughed at, are they bigger than East Fife? No, further on, yes. Dumbarton survived for several seasons at that level, they all give us hope we can also. Baby steps though, I certainly think missing out on a play off again, would be a big failure.
Happy & optimistic (and I'm normally a negative pessimist!).

Agree with this. One of our issues is also around strength of squad- due I am sure to resources. I always feel confident in our 1-11( even 13) against any team in the league-but when injuries hit us particularly to a few key players we naturally struggle. Hopefully this year we get no injuries and 1 or 2 quality additions- then we have a great chance to make the play- offs.

56 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

On PFA website player avaliabilty paga Lewis Hunter is on it aswell as Lewis Baker so both must be away

Scott Mercer on would we take him back as replacement for Dunsy if he moves on

Obviously didn’t work out for Hunter at Albion to the extent DY required, ah well good luck to the guy, and Baker!!!

And Mercer, I’d take him back now, whether Dunsy re-signs or not, can’t have too much quality in your squad!!!