The East Fife Thread

14 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:
1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Truly shocking result and one that quite a few could see coming.

Despite the league position this team have been off the boil for a good few games and I’m going to stick my neck out a bit and question Darren Young’s commitment to East Fife.

My understanding is he’s applied for  (and being linked with)) a number of jobs with full time clubs this season. That being the case this surely has to be unsettling for the team knowing their manager could be off at the first club willing to take a chance on a manager who to be fair has done a decent job to date but nothing remarkable to be honest. Don’t get me wrong here. I’ve warmed to Darren Young  but we’re barely half way through the season and he’s looking to jump ship. Seriously? If I was one of the players I’d be a bit concerned at this. A team needs stability in order to do the business and quite frankly this isn’t it. Personally I don’t think he’s got what it takes to make the step up and would be found out quickly.

Last season cup runs and decent mid-season form gave us all a huge lift but the way the team collapsed towards the end of the season was really disappointing. Why on earth a “bigger club” would want to take a chance on a manager who hasn’t achieved much to date is possibly something that Young needs to realise and why he’s not being selected.

The chairman wants to be having a word with this guy.

I'll stick my neck out and say this post is more than a tad harsh on what's gone on. Yesterday was absolutely honking I agree but cmon eh.

A tad harsh in what respect? 

You bring in players and try and assemble a team capable of challenging. He's done that to a certain degree granted. 

You then let all and sundry know you're wanting out of the club because that's basically the message we're all getting. 

How is that harsh and how are the players meant to react? 

Trying not to be too harsh after what was a shocking result & performance. Beat Clyde & Airdrie everything's rosey again. But Ive always questioned whether the manager has the ability to turn things round when it goes wrong. His recruitment has been excellent though. The last few weeks I've read with interest the Forfar & Falkirk threads & it really is slim pickings out there regarding managerial availability. Not getting an adequate replacement will cause more damage than DY moving on when this eventually happens.
Hopefully this is just another blip & we can get a reaction. Might not be a bad thing having the next game so soon. 

Our challenge is that we have missed Wallace badly and now Dunlop.

Wallace and Dowds are a real threat and we have missed that combination due to Wallace been missing and Tonks been carrying a niggling injury.Mind you our defence should of stopped all 4 goals.... need to learn and move on. Tuesday important.

Trying not to be too harsh after what was a shocking result & performance. Beat Clyde & Airdrie everything's rosey again. But Ive always questioned whether the manager has the ability to turn things round when it goes wrong. His recruitment has been excellent though. The last few weeks I've read with interest the Forfar & Falkirk threads & it really is slim pickings out there regarding managerial availability. Not getting an adequate replacement will cause more damage than DY moving on when this eventually happens.
Hopefully this is just another blip & we can get a reaction. Might not be a bad thing having the next game so soon. 

Our challenge is that we have missed Wallace badly and now Dunlop.

Wallace and Dowds are a real threat and we have missed that combination due to Wallace been missing and Tonks been carrying a niggling injury.Mind you our defence should of stopped all 4 goals.... need to learn and move on. Tuesday important.

A tad harsh in what respect? 
You bring in players and try and assemble a team capable of challenging. He's done that to a certain degree granted. 
You then let all and sundry know you're wanting out of the club because that's basically the message we're all getting. 
How is that harsh and how are the players meant to react? 
I wouldn't say he wants out the club. He's applied for a job or maybe 2 of team/s on a higher level than us.
Yeah it's not ideal and you would rather he stayed till we said to leave but that's life of being a smaller team. Most people in football are committed to doing the best they can at the highest level they can. I wouldn't say he isn't commited to us as he clearly is and the best thing that could go on his CV for these jobs is a league 1 winners medal or play off win.

Need to remember if you were at work and the bookies started taking bets that you were going to get a job offer from a company much better for your CV and offering more money you would be interested in having a wee look at it. I certainly would and I love my job. (Just having the Kieran Tierney arguement here)

I really hope that we can get 6 points kin out the next 3 games as this would firmly cement our plans for this season. 9 points and we would be off to a flyer.

18 hours ago, smuggfifer said:

We have lost 4 games in total this season. 3 of them have been against lower League opposition. Motivational issues need to be addressed. That was brutal today, and to be fair, it was an injustice that we were 3-1 up at one point. But we were, and for a league 1 team to then concede 3 goals at home to a non league side, is shocking.
One thing about DY, he is certainly showing us the best and worst of East Fife.
No idea where to start to remedy that performance for Tuesday night, but that the management job, not mine. Get it sorted!

Pretty much on the money , lost to Cowdenbeath, lost to Stirling Albion, lost to BSC Glasgow definently a bit of a motivation issue. These players are playing in league one for a reason they are clearly not that good that they just need to turn up. If you don’t compete and fight your corner there is only one outcome. The manager applying for other jobs is just a fact of life. If you were doing a part time job and a full time position came up on decent money you would be daft not to show an interest. But in all honesty you can’t blame the manager for individual errors at the back that are a weekly occurrence. If he doesn’t shake things up on Tuesday night then he can take some blame.

Very disappointing yesterday. Criminal to lose after being 3-1 up- simply game management. All 4 goals avoidable too, individual errors... none of the 4 were BSC carving Fife open. Goal 1: Slack pass and lazy defending from CB's, Goal 2: Not tracking runner at long throw, Goal 3: Wild tackle for no reason for the penalty, Goal 4: GK flaps and the players do not react. Hope my memory is serving me right ** They were aggressive and  energetic- something which the Fife team should have more than been able to match, letting our quality separate the sides. Unfortunately there were just too many players not up for the fight. Said it after the Cowden game- never too high after a win never too low after a lose (even though this was a shi**er). The team needs us to get behind them, hopefully i'll make it along on Tuesday to do just that!

Mon the Fife

-SS

Shocker of a result and the goals we conceded were awful, it happens in cup football. We aren’t the first to have been knocked out by lower league opponents, nor will we be the last. We gave out a few shocks last season.

As disappointing a result as it was, we can’t let it derail the season, I’m sure the players will be hurting and we have a perfect chance to get back on track vs Clyde. We now don’t have any other distractions as we only have the league to play for now.

Credit to BSC and that result was fully deserved. It’s time for SPFL teams to stop underestimating lowland league teams. 
For east fife though, that was painful. League form is good but Young’s cup record as manager is shocking. 
We got to last 16 in Scottish last year

We got to semi of the Carmel wafer thing last year

We got to the last 16 of the Betfred cup this season.

Hardly shocking [emoji23]

Pretty much on the money , lost to Cowdenbeath, lost to Stirling Albion, lost to BSC Glasgow definently a bit of a motivation issue. These players are playing in league one for a reason they are clearly not that good that they just need to turn up. If you don’t compete and fight your corner there is only one outcome. The manager applying for other jobs is just a fact of life. If you were doing a part time job and a full time position came up on decent money you would be daft not to show an interest. But in all honesty you can’t blame the manager for individual errors at the back that are a weekly occurrence. If he doesn’t shake things up on Tuesday night then he can take some blame.
Would have been more on the money if I could count properly, it's 5 defeats. 4 in cup matches, 3 of which to lower League clubs, and 1 to Rangers. Plus the 1 league defeat.

Disappointing defeat, crazy defensive performances, and probably the most angry i have ever felt leaving Bayview (and ive been places and done things) I cant help but feel we have needlessly thrown away a good cup run by not seeing the game away. However, fair play to Glasgow and good luck to them going forward. They wanted the win, never gave up, and grafted it out. That's what cup football is all about.

The players need to show this was just a bad day at the office, and not the return of the crazy form we had toward the end of last year. I'm not pushing the panic button quite yet, we have taken enough bigger team scalps in cups that eventually you are going to come a cropper yourself, but if a few bad league performances follow i may start dusting it down. 

22 hours ago, tikataka said:

Credit to BSC and that result was fully deserved. It’s time for SPFL teams to stop underestimating lowland league teams. 

For east fife though, that was painful. League form is good but Young’s cup record as manager is shocking. 

I've been to several Lowland League matches in recent seasons and the standard is improving all the time, especially as the ex.-Junior sides are beginning to move up from the East of Scotland League. There's now very little difference between the top sides in the Lowland League and most League 2 sides, and the gap to some League 1 sides is narrowing all the time, so there's no disgrace in losing to teams in the higher echelons of the Lowland. I think in the near future we will see sides like Kelty, Bonnyrigg, BSC make their way into the SPFL, especially if they make the method of moving up less complicated and less restrictive.

Edited by Forbes55
Grammar

Any news on Wallace, missing him big time

Agreed missing Wallace and Dunlop big time.

Had the courage to watch the goals horror highlights twice yesterday!( first time had my eyes shut most of the time!).Cant add anything to what has been said before.

By hook or by crook we need a win tonight. The players will be hurting as much as the fans- we need to get behind the team and just get a win !

Wallace seems to have been out for a lot longer than first anticipated, hopefully he'll be on the bench at least tonight. Brett needs a chance being back in the side, Hart looked poor on Saturday from the highlights especially coming for the cross for their winner. Hopefully Darren sees sense and gives him an opportunity.