The East Fife Thread

Chick Young was a bit excited on radio stating there was around 2.5k at the game today.... I think 460 was quoted..... EF looked OK but with Aggie,Dowds and Kevin on bench that’s some amount of firepower missing. I think DY got the formation wrong today and need to sort it sharpish, credit to CB today they bossed the highballs and took their gaols well, bitter sweet penalty save from Brett, hope he is ok cos he was injured... also whats the news on Kyle Bell after his injury?

No Dunsmore today, hopefully once he is back Watson and Dunlop are the cb's. Really gutting to lose to one of our rivals especially in the league below doesn't fill anyone with confidence with the season just starting. Hopefully injuries are also cleared up and bizzare to leave dowds on the bench hopefully defence and attacking click soon.

Didn’t think higgins did too much wrong. Being made a scapegoat tbh. Neither goal was his fault, a few misplaced passes that everyone did too is all I can think of, a slice into the air actually but he recovered from that too. Bit harsh putting the loss down to him

It is early days and hopefully we will kick on against Stenhousemuir. It’s just concerning as we are without a competitive win since that Stranraer game back in March. Think we were all hoping for a win to start us off on the right track.

Fair play to Cowdenbeath, they got the tactics spot on. We bossed the first 15-20 mins, but whenever they got their nose in front, they shaped to maintain 10 players behind the ball, and did it well. We were forced to chase the game, and allowed them a soft 2nd, making the task even harder. The opening 15 minutes were successful due to us keeping the wide players on the touchline and stretching them. After going a goal down, we seemed to panic, and resorted to long balls to Duggan and Wallace, something alien to our game, and hopefully not to be seen again. My own feeling was, we missed Aggy in midfield for too much of the game. We lacjked the creativity and forward play from the middle. Hunter did well , but couldn't link with the strikers. We became predictable and easy to defend against. This game on reflection was probably more one sided than the stats show, but the ultimate stat , proved that possession, corners etc mean nothing if you can't beat resolute defending. Well done Cowdenbeath, and let's hope we learned some valuable lessons from yesterday.

2 hours ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

Did he feature in yesterday's match?

No he didn't.

I'm not close enough to the club but would expect him to stay with Celtic until their colts team is knocked out of the Tunnocks Cup.

That is in the basis that he does sign.

14 minutes ago, smuggfifer said:

Fair play to Cowdenbeath, they got the tactics spot on. We bossed the first 15-20 mins, but whenever they got their nose in front, they shaped to maintain 10 players behind the ball, and did it well. We were forced to chase the game, and allowed them a soft 2nd, making the task even harder. The opening 15 minutes were successful due to us keeping the wide players on the touchline and stretching them. After going a goal down, we seemed to panic, and resorted to long balls to Duggan and Wallace, something alien to our game, and hopefully not to be seen again. My own feeling was, we missed Aggy in midfield for too much of the game. We lacjked the creativity and forward play from the middle. Hunter did well , but couldn't link with the strikers. We became predictable and easy to defend against. This game on reflection was probably more one sided than the stats show, but the ultimate stat , proved that possession, corners etc mean nothing if you can't beat resolute defending. Well done Cowdenbeath, and let's hope we learned some valuable lessons from yesterday.

Would agree with the above.

Creativity from Murdoch and Hunter  who were the central midfieders, was non existent and as a result

thought that our build up play was too slow .

Great credit to Cowdenbeath who I thought defensively , protected their keeper very well.

It is early days and hopefully we will kick on against Stenhousemuir. It’s just concerning as we are without a competitive win since that Stranraer game back in March. Think we were all hoping for a win to start us off on the right track.

Wow- Last competitive match win in March! - scary when you think about it!- Here’s hoping Saturday!

He was bullied by Kris Renton yesterday! Imagine him up against an actually half decent striker!

Did you just reply to yourself? Did you think you had changed to another account? [emoji23]

Really not getting where he did much wrong just being made a scapegoat by some overly angry people.

It’s game number 1 of the season.
In a cup that is notoriously hard to get out the group stages. And we have Dundee United and hearts in the group... both spending premiership wages and getting some top players.

Can justify criticising the team after the first quarter is done and we have played everyone. League is the big one this year as we have to get into play offs, but I would like a cup run in the other cups

Cowden played well yesterday and deserved their win, fair play to them.

Tbh I don’t understand the Higgins bandwagon folk are jumping on here, there were very few got pass marks yesterday, why we are singling him out I’m not sure

All in all, I thought we started well, but lacked a wee bit of a spark in midfield, and defensively there were some bad errors. It’s game 1, I’ll worry in December if we are still terrible 

Did you just reply to yourself? Did you think you had changed to another account? [emoji23]

Really not getting where he did much wrong just being made a scapegoat by some overly angry people.

It’s game number 1 of the season.
In a cup that is notoriously hard to get out the group stages. And we have Dundee United and hearts in the group... both spending premiership wages and getting some top players.

Can justify criticising the team after the first quarter is done and we have played everyone. League is the big one this year as we have to get into play offs, but I would like a cup run in the other cups

Tbf it is game 1 of the season- but all of us have watched us since January of last year and the form has not been good- last competitive win last March !

We all, rightfully applauded the board and manager for the good business over the summer in strengthening the team in the midfield and attack. The worry for many is our defence- its all about opinions but I don’t believe our defence has improved. From January of last year we moved Meggatt to wing back to accommodate a new CB partnership. Many believe that was not a success and friendlies and Game 1 this season have not persuaded many to change their view.

We really do need a win on Saturday for confidence- as we rightfully cannot expect anything from the Hearts and Dundee Utd game.- I also believe we do need to strengthen our central defence - great shame if all the good work from an attacking sense is undermined by defensive frailties.

Been away all weekend so just catching up. Really disappointing start to the season, but it is just the first competitive game and we had a shocker in last year's league cup and still had a fun season. Hopefully we can get the win at the weekend, but we're definitely not qualifying from the group now so lets just focus on getting the team up to fitness for the start of the league campaign.

Oh, and let's sign a left back and centre half.