The East Fife Thread

Whats done is done. 

Did we have a ball anyway? Bloody right we did. Had great banter some Bohs fans in the bar after.  If I'm ever on a Dublin weekend and the Bohs are at home I'll probably go see them 

This is now done to the authorities and we're all in agreement they're chocolate teapot level useless. 

2 minutes ago, Sarge Bullman said:

Why use inverted commas to describe the "locals" ?

Do you have any idea how offensive that is?

Sarge Bullman you don't happen to be that wee steward at Ochilveiw are you, you seem determined to wind folk up on here the same way the wee twat does in front of the stand at ochilveiw. does for no particular reason.

6 minutes ago, Sarge Bullman said:

Entirely dependent on context. And the way it was used earlier in this thread was undoubtedly xenophobic as King Kebab has already acknowledged. 

Some people just love to find ways to feel offended....

1 minute ago, keptie said:

Some people just love to find ways to feel offended....

As I previously said, an Irishman commented on the allegations earlier and King Kebab acknowledged that another East Fife fan was explicitly Anti-Irish. I'm not producing this from nowhere. It's entirely up to yourselves how you interpret these comments - most right-minded people would find it abhorrent.

Entirely dependent on context. And the way it was used earlier in this thread was undoubtedly xenophobic as King Kebab has already acknowledged. 

Will you just stop making shit up to cover your own agenda, I said the "non-British" comments were xenophobic, I said nothing about Ulster Bank, as I honestly don't know if that is seen as some kind of "Branch" (see what I did there?) sectarianism, in fact if it hadn't been for The Ulster Bank next to the ground I wouldn't have been able to have what was probably the worst McDonalds I've ever had in my life!!!
I saw Gordon in there as well I'm sure he will confirm or is slagging off Irish McDonalds seen as a form of bigotry???

2 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Will you just stop making shit up to cover your own agenda, I said the "non-British" comments were xenophobic, I said nothing about Ulster Bank, as I honestly don't know if that is seen as some kind of "Branch" (see what I did there?) sectarianism, in fact if it hadn't been for The Ulster Bank next to the ground I wouldn't have been able to have what was probably the worst McDonalds I've ever had in my life!!!
I saw Gordon in there as well I'm sure he will confirm or is slagging off Irish McDonalds seen as a form of bigotry???

To be fair, that second rendition of the famine song in McDonalds was probably taking things a bit far.

6 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

As I said, you acknowledge that a fellow East Fife fan, one of your own, was xenophobic when he made an Anti-Irish comment earlier in this thread. You also made a negative reference to a Bohemians staff member being called "Paddy" . This is entirely factual and documented. 

18 minutes ago, smuggfifer said:

Having travelled to the extremities of Scotland following East Fife. We have experienced the "match postponed" on numerous occasions on the way there. We have been frustrated, but realised that everything had been done, but the weather had one. Infuriating? Yes but we ,just turn around and go back home.
Yesterday was a whole new experience however. We were told on Friday by one of the "locals".not to worry , game will be fine. Arriving at 2.00pm , my wee lad was desperate to see the stadium, so we duly walked out to the barrier as a few players trotted out, and I mean trotted. It sounded like horses going across cobbles. At this point I realised, before speaking to anyone, that's this game iewould both off. All this bluster about ref holding decision to give it a chance , was just bluster. The pitch wasn't fit at 2pm, and was certainly unfit at 9 am ,and probably 6pm the evening before. I'm not sure of the process in FAI, but in Scotland we call in a local ref the day before ,if it's in doubt, they either declare it unfit , or recommend an early morning inspection. At this time of year, if the pitch is solid at 8 am , it will still be frozen at 3. No maybes, it will still be solid.
This is the crux of the matter. The game should have been called off on Friday evening, or Saturday morning after a 7.00 inspection. This would at least have made the club and many fans aware that they were traveling over for a day out in Dublin rather than a football match.
Because it hasn't happened for 40 years isn't an excuse. Not being fully honest with fans is not good. Lessons learned by Bohemians FC hopefully. I truly believe if the club had said , " look we are sorry, but the game can't go ahead this afternoon ,but please come along , since you are here, and we'll have a little party anyway", most fans would have accepted the weather beat us,a and we wouldn't be having this debate.
Bohemians haven't covered themselves in glory with their handling, SPFL likewise ,with their decisions back in November. It's happened , we have to move on , and hope that the authorities make the decision they should have made months back.
But can we all please keep this adult and show respect to each other.

OK, I hear what you are saying, maybe the match could have been called off earlier. Fair enough, lets say it was called off at 9AM, would it really of made that much difference?

Maybe a few fans might have avoided traveling and cut their losses a bit, but it would it have really made that much difference?

You mentioned the East Fife players coming out onto the pitch like "horses across cobbles" Was there nobody from East Fife that could of flagged this at that time?  A full hour before kick-off?

Why? If the conditions were as bad as you say, would a professional football club put their players at risk for a full hour warming up on said pitch ? They would have been fully within their rights to refuse to use a frozen pitch to 'warm up' on.

7 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

OK, I hear what you are saying, maybe the match could have been called off earlier. Fair enough, lets say it was called off at 9AM, would it really of made that much difference?

Maybe a few fans might have avoided traveling and cut their losses a bit, but it would it have really made that much difference?

You mentioned the East Fife players coming out onto the pitch like "horses across cobbles" Was there nobody from East Fife that could of flagged this at that time?  A full hour before kick-off?

Why? If the conditions were as bad as you say, would a professional football club put their players at risk for a full hour warming up on said pitch ? They would have been fully within their rights to refuse to use a frozen pitch to 'warm up' on.

Just to clarify re getting a local ref in the day before.

I was in Dalymount at 1.30 on the Friday and the pitch was perfect. It was soft underfoot and I was thinking to myself this is gonna really cut it up.

A chap in the bar had dropped in on Friday evening and said pitch was fine then so it was basically an overnight freeze which caught it out.

But it was 100% playable 24 hrs before kick off 

1 minute ago, Jodi said:

Just to clarify re getting a local ref in the day before.

I was in Dalymount at 1.30 on the Friday and the pitch was perfect. It was soft underfoot and I was thinking to myself this is gonna really cut it up.

A chap in the bar had dropped in on Friday evening and said pitch was fine then so it was basically an overnight freeze which caught it out.

But it was 100% playable 24 hrs before kick off 

Official statement from Bohemian FC.........

Bohemian FC wishes to thank supporters of our own club but in particular those who travelled over from East Fife for their patience and understanding yesterday.

The timing of the announcement that the game was being called off has understandably been criticised and we wish to explain why that was made so late.

The referee inspected the Dalymount playing surface circa 1.30pm and was of the opinion that areas of the pitch were too frozen to be considered safe to be played on.

It is likely that had this been a domestic fixture, the decision to postpone the game would have been made earlier.

However, given the expense and logistics involved in East Fife officials, management, players and supporters travelling from Scotland to Dublin, the referee wanted to afford more time in the hope that the areas worst affected – those under the shade of the Jodi Stand – might thaw in the continued sunshine.

Ultimately those hopes were in vain and the decision to call off the game in the interests of player safety was the correct one. The freezing temperatures saw fixtures in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland suffer a similar fate.

Discussions between Bohemians, East Fife, the FAI and the SPFL were held about the possibility of playing the game later yesterday evening or this morning at an alternative venue to minimise travel expenses and disruption for East Fife, with both the synthetic surfaces at Abbotstown and Oriel Park mooted.

But ultimately, after an early start and a long day of travelling for East Fife, these suggestions were not considered viable. Instead both clubs and both associations will begin talks tomorrow as how best to proceed.

Lastly, Bohemians’ progression in the tournament has seen the inclusion of Irish clubs in the IRN-BRU Cup criticised in the Scottish press and the disruption to Scottish clubs’ fixtures calendar come under scrutiny.

The logistics have been challenging. But we have done our level best to be as flexible as possible. We offered to extend last season into the month of November to facilitate this tie being played then but no date was deemed suitable.

Instead we agreed to start our 2019 season two weeks earlier to host the game yesterday, weakening our chances of progression against a team who are in form and mid season.

The decision to invite Irish clubs to compete in the tournament will remain under scrutiny but as a club, we have been grateful for our inclusion despite the logistical challenges it has presented.

Our supporters have enjoyed the camaraderie of the occasions of visiting Peterhead and of hosting Sutton United in previous rounds.

These were memorable and unique days for our players and fans alike and it is of deep regret that yesterday did not provide us with yet another one.

Friendships have been formed, however. Another highlight of the spirit of this tournament saw the East Fife Marching Band donate €800 to the Bohemian Foundation, the charitable arm of our club.

We also wish to put on record the understanding of the travelling East Fife supporters who remained good-natured yesterday despite their disappointment.

Refunds were issued to fans who stayed behind. Anyone who bought tickets online will be automatically refunded.

Any Bohemians fan can also instead retain their ticket stub to use for entry at any home league game this season bar fixtures against Shamrock Rovers.

I think you'll find they did. The players did a little warm up on the sunny part that may have been a little softer, but speaking to one of our players , his words were, we can't play on that bit. That was at 2.05. As I said , if your club had just held their hands up at 8 or 9 am. Look folks , the pitch is t going to be playable, let's have a party in the bar., We wouldn't be having this debate just now. That's all there is to it.

As I previously said, an Irishman commented on the allegations earlier and King Kebab acknowledged that another East Fife fan was explicitly Anti-Irish. I'm not producing this from nowhere. It's entirely up to yourselves how you interpret these comments - most right-minded people would find it abhorrent.

See that's you making shit up again, I agreed that it was being xenophobic to use the term "Non-British". Nowhere did I say it was "explicitly Anti-Irish". I really think you should just give up now pal, that hole's getting deeper and your nose is getting longer!!!

To be fair, that second rendition of the famine song in McDonalds was probably taking things a bit far.

Tbf it was only because you started the "Could you go a Bacon Big Mac Bobby Sands" one again!!!  

The above comment is meant to be ironic and just a little sarcastic, just in case Sarge Bullshit's head explodes!!!

1 minute ago, smuggfifer said:
37 minutes ago, BohsMan said:

I think you'll find they did. The players did a little warm up on the sunny part that may have been a little softer, but speaking to one of our players , his words were, we can't play on that bit. That was at 2.05. As I said , if your club had just held their hands up at 8 or 9 am. Look folks , the pitch is t going to be playable, let's have a party in the bar., We wouldn't be having this debate just now. That's all there is to it.

Read the official Bohs statement. Calling the match off at 9AM or any other in the lead-up was an option (If it was a domestic game it would have been called off earlier), but they wanted to give the game every possible chance of going ahead.

Really don't know how much more can be said.

Really don't know how much more can be said.

How about;

"we realised that if we had used some initiative and looked at the long range weather forecast we could have seen that the weather was going to get colder as the week progressed and we could then have taken steps to perhaps ensure the pitch would have been playable for the match on Saturday, but instead we did nothing other than cross our fingers and hope for the best and in hindsight that was perhaps not the best policy for a supposedly "Professional football Club to take and it has now blown up in our faces and we regret that those actions have now made us look like complete incompetents to the wider footballing world.

With that in mind we would like to withdraw from the tournament at this stage with immediate effect and wish East Fife Football Club the very best of luck in the next round."

That would probably do for a start!!!

19 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

See that's you making shit up again, I agreed that it was being xenophobic to use the term "Non-British". Nowhere did I say it was "explicitly Anti-Irish". I really think you should just give up now pal, that hole's getting deeper and your nose is getting longer!!!

Tbf it was only because you started the "Could you go a Bacon Big Mac Bobby Sands" one again!!!  

The above comment is meant to be ironic and just a little sarcastic, just in case Sarge Bullshit's head explodes!!!

Deflect and sweep all you like. It's there for all to see. There has been undoubted bigotry on this thread and yet you choose to belittle it.

Incredible.