The East Fife Thread

Not against st Johnstone, but I expect us to win against 2 teams that will be at our end of the league ? Forfar game was a good result.....? seriously ???? Go and boil yer heed son. Your brain damaged from watching too much lower league football if u think that’s a good result. The whole we’re at our level attitude really frustrates me, that’s why gates are dwindling. And as for disappearing...... thing is I go home and away most weekends, as I have done for 20 years. I also buy 2 ST every year except this year. So a doubt disappearing is on the cards baring in mind my living room looks into bayview. So u should think twice before trying to judge somebody’s type from a p&b post. If I am correctly informed and your are who I’ve been told you are, I’ve been standing in the pissing rain a lot lot longer than you [emoji23]. You need to understand if some one has an opinion that doesn’t match yours, you can’t start questioning there commitment to the club more so when you don’t know who your talking to......

I would say playing a team from our league with 10 men for 60 minutes, avoiding defeat, creating chances and picking up a point is pretty decent! We're EF no Celtic! Put the knives away at least until a few league games have been played [emoji108] 

I've just witnessed one of the best goals I've seen here in years, Anton tonking it in from about 30 yards!!!

East Fife 1-0 Falkirk

Anton Dowds (24 mins)

Very impressive first half performance and what a strike from Dowds! He has looked a real handful in the last 2 games. We were the much better side and knocked the ball around well. Falkirk didn’t create much.

Second half was a different story, and Falkirk dominated most of the play although we were the masters of our downfall with a free header at the corner and a short back pass.

We knock the ball around well at times but sometimes row Z or indeed the sea is the better option.

Still plenty of positives to take from the game.

Decent East Fife performance but 2 terrible goals knocked everyone’s confidence.free header from a corner and  awful pass back.If we can keep Kevin Smith fit he will make a big difference this season.Also think Craig Watson looks a lot fitter this year.In my opinion Court has to show a bit more if he wants to be a regular starter.

I've just witnessed one of the best goals I've seen here in years, Anton tonking it in from about 30 yards!!!
East Fife 1-0 Falkirk
Anton Dowds (24 mins)

Love the description more like 20 yards but it was a cracker of a goal and we were unlucky today.

Love the description more like 20 yards but it was a cracker of a goal and we were unlucky today.

0k we'll call it 25, but it'll be 30 in a years time and from the halfway line within 5!!![emoji6]

Good performance I thought yesterday. Pretty harsh on us to lose that game. Cheap goal from a corner and a mistake. Fair play to Falkirk for capitalising on that but they didn't really threaten apart from that and we more than held our own against them.

Through the league cup games, obviously we've been fairly solid at the back and it's a little worrying that we went back to cheap goals costing us dearly like last season but I'mm still confident the defence is better than last year. I thought we looked much better with 2 up front. Dowds seems like a real find and he's surely played his way into the starting 11 for next week. I'd agree that Court has got to show a bit more if he wants to fight his way into the team.

I was impressed with Slattery and Davidson as a centre midfield two and Liam Watt has looked useful when I've seen him as well. Agnew looks a good player but I think we're going to need to see a lot more from Thomson and/or McBride. I heard Thomson had a good game against St Johnstone but wasn't there. there's enough potential there but I don't feel he shows it often enough. This season has got to be the one where he performs on a consistent basis.

I'm a bit more confident for the season than I was, despite not winning any LC games. Dumbarton got tanked by St Mirren yesterday and i've gone from thinking it would be good to get a point next week to thinking there's no reason we can't be confident about going and getting all 3.

Good performance I thought yesterday. Pretty harsh on us to lose that game. Cheap goal from a corner and a mistake. Fair play to Falkirk for capitalising on that but they didn't really threaten apart from that and we more than held our own against them. Through the league cup games, obviously we've been fairly solid at the back and it's a little worrying that we went back to cheap goals costing us dearly like last season but I'mm still confident the defence is better than last year. I thought we looked much better with 2 up front. Dowds seems like a real find and he's surely played his way into the starting 11 for next week. I'd agree that Court has got to show a bit more if he wants to fight his way into the team. I was impressed with Slattery and Davidson as a centre midfield two and Liam Watt has looked useful when I've seen him as well. Agnew looks a good player but I think we're going to need to see a lot more from Thomson and/or McBride. I heard Thomson had a good game against St Johnstone but wasn't there. there's enough potential there but I don't feel he shows it often enough. This season has got to be the one where he performs on a consistent basis. I'm a bit more confident for the season than I was, despite not winning any LC games. Dumbarton got tanked by St Mirren yesterday and i've gone from thinking it would be good to get a point next week to thinking there's no reason we can't be confident about going and getting all 3.     

Agree with this, we haven't had a bad League Cup campaign more of an unlucky one!!! 

Against St. Johnstone, we more than deserved the point and perhaps could/should have won it with McBride's header being the best/only chance for either side during the game, but against a Premier outfit, I was more than happy with our display!!!

Against Montrose I still don't know how we didn't win that game, lack of composure or cutting edge up front probably, but they scored from one of TWO chances they had on target, while we batter their goal and got nothing!!!

Against Forfar, cheated by the cheaters cheat, totally outclass Forfar when we had 11 men and then continued to do so when we were reduced to 10, tiredness cost us all the points in that game plus a goal with more than a suggestion of offside to it, but again you could say lack of composure/cutting edge again, we could/should have been 2 or 3 up before the sending off and even up to the equaliser and even in the 2nd half we still looked the more likely team to go ahead but we didn't, more dropped points!!!

Against Falkirk, again we didn't look out of place against a team from a Divjsion above us and more than matched them, took a deserved lead and could have even been further ahead, Falkirk equalise through the first bit of shit defending I've seen from us this season but a common enough sight last term and then they are gifted their winner by one of the shittiest pass backs I've seen in a long time, make no mistake Falkirk won the match but they didn't win the game, we lost it!!!

Now before you start thinking these are the ravings of a "happy-clapper", think again. We've played well and more than matched (in periods) two opposing sides from the Divisions above us and we have been the better side against two teams from the same division as us, I think we can take a lot of confidence from this going forward, it's pretty obvious where our failings are and its up top, King Kev has produced two of the best performances I've ever seen from him, even better than that game against Dumbarton a couple of seasons ago when he ripped them a new arsehole, he was brilliant against St. Johnstone and unplayable against Forfar but he IS at the moment "carrying" his partner, whichever one it is, Court or Dowds, but in saying that Anton is obviously getting better, his confidence is soaring, after yesterday especially and he can only get better still, Jonny seems to me to be the more composed of the two but needs more game time and if Anton is scoring you can't drop him, this is where our lack of depth up front could be crucial, what is going to happen when Kev gets crocked (you know it's going to happen eventually)???

So to sum up, Long looks like the best keeper we've had in a long time, I'm more than happy with the defence as long as the Falkirk game was an aberration and they can stay switched on for the whole 90 minutes, we're not going to lose as many goals as we did last season especially with crosses from our left, Meggatt appears to have taken care of that, Dunlop is more than capable and Watson is like a new signing and has been our most consistent player in all the games so far. I'm happy with the midfield but would like to see more creativity from the wide positions especially when all of our 3 forwards are as tall as they are and up front just more depth is required and if one of them could be a guaranteed 30 goals a season hitman, then that would be lovely!!!

I'm confident that we are going to be there or thereabouts as this season progresses, for me Airdrie and Arbroath are going to be the ones to watch and that is only because they have had money to spend this year and appear to have put together quite decent squads, the Rovers are a shambles at the moment and Dumbarton are still to recover from the rag dolling they've received in their Cup group and we play them next, really looking forward to it now!!!

Agree with this, we haven't had a bad League Cup campaign more of an unlucky one!!!Against St. Johnstone, we more than deserved the point and perhaps could/should have won it with McBride's header being the best/only chance for either side during the game, but against a Premier outfit, I was more than happy with our display!!!Against Montrose I still don't know how we didn't win that game, lack of composure or cutting edge up front probably, but they scored from one of TWO chances they had on target, while we batter their goal and got nothing!!!Against Forfar, cheated by the cheaters cheat, totally outclass Forfar when we had 11 men and then continued to do so when we were reduced to 10, tiredness cost us all the points in that game plus a goal with more than a suggestion of offside to it, but again you could say lack of composure/cutting edge again, we could/should have been 2 or 3 up before the sending off and even up to the equaliser and even in the 2nd half we still looked the more likely team to go ahead but we didn't, more dropped points!!!

Against Falkirk, again we didn't look out of place against a team from a Divjsion above us and more than matched them, took a deserved lead and could have even been further ahead, Falkirk equalise through the first bit of shit defending I've seen from us this season but a common enough sight last term and then they are gifted their winner by one of the shittiest pass backs I've seen in a long time, make no mistake Falkirk won the match but they didn't win the game, we lost it!!!

Now before you start thinking these are the ravings of a "happy-clapper", think again. We've played well and more than matched (in periods) two opposing sides from the Divisions above us and we have been the better side against two teams from the same division as us, I think we can take a lot of confidence from this going forward, it's pretty obvious where our failings are and its up top, King Kev has produced two of the best performances I've ever seen from him, even better than that game against Dumbarton a couple of seasons ago when he ripped them a new arsehole, he was brilliant against St. Johnstone and unplayable against Forfar but he IS at the moment "carrying" his partner, whichever one it is, Court or Dowds, but in saying that Anton is obviously getting better, his confidence is soaring, after yesterday especially and he can only get better still, Jonny seems to me to be the more composed of the two but needs more game time and if Anton is scoring you can't drop him, this is where our lack of depth up front could be crucial, what is going to happen when Kev gets crocked (you know it's going to happen eventually)???

So to sum up, Long looks like the best keeper we've had in a long time, I'm more than happy with the defence as long as the Falkirk game was an aberration and they can stay switched on for the whole 90 minutes, we're not going to lose as many goals as we did last season especially with crosses from our left, Meggatt appears to have taken care of that, Dunlop is more than capable and Watson is like a new signing and has been our most consistent player in all the games so far. I'm happy with the midfield but would like to see more creativity from the wide positions especially when all of our 3 forwards are as tall as they are and up front just more depth is required and if one of them could be a guaranteed 30 goals a season hitman, then that would be lovely!!!

Summed up absolutely perfectly in my eyes.

Against St Johnston our wingers caused them great problems, would like more of that through the season! Very unlucky cup but now the business starts. I think it’s going to need a lot more points to stay up this season than there was last season.

So over to Darren, Tony, Lindsay and the team to do the talking on the pitch.

I like how we’ve set up with 2 strikers and used Kevin Smith in a far more influential role through the middle. Hopefully Young sticks to this philosophy and we have a go at teams.

Off back to New Zealand during the week, would have been good to see us win a game but will be supporting from a far.

Doesn’t qualify unless it’s Tonking !!

No that's only when describing someone else's attempt, if talking about yourself the correct form is "tonked"!!!

"I saw him tonking it in from 30 yards"

"I tonked it in from 30 yards"

Or as a suggestion...

"Go on, give it a tonk"

And for the older fan there is also the classic...

"Hello Honky-Tonks"

IMG_3999.jpg

Here to help!!![emoji6]

On 18/07/2018 at 07:13, sirscottyoung said:

I know that but I am actually curious as to if anyone even knows anyone out there available that we could consider that are better than what we have.

Not being a dick about it as I agree we need another striker. Just was seeing if Folk had some ideas to throw about (apart from saying Willis furtado or Kris Boyd or anything else silly) but by the reaction I don’t think anyone has any.

TBF (I think) Willis is still available. You could do a lot worse although he certainly would not be in the best shape since he hasn't done a pre-season