The East Fife Thread

Signings have been more than decent so far but in the end you are only as good as your strikers.We’ ve lost our only goal scorer and had little contribution from the rest last season.Difficult when everybody wants proven scorers and others may be able to offer more.

I am pretty confident Young will have a few attack minded players to come in, but i like the way the squad is shaping up.

You wonder if the manager is going to go for a smaller squad of higher quality/higher paid players or a rounded larger squad. Looks to me that we are going for a bit of a bigger squad this year, which given our luck with injuries is probably a smart move.  

I think we will get a good few signings in the next week or so now that players are coming back from holidays/know their options.  But no complaints from me on the business we have already done

Well you're a ray of brilliant sunshine aren't you???
This is the best start we've made to a pre season since f**k knows when and you're still trying to rain on the parade, now God knows, I'm not one of the happy clappers that won't take any criticism of the Club whether valid or not , but c'mon man credit where it is due!!!

Best start to a pre season ? They’ve not even kicked a ball. As I said above I will reserve judgement till I have seen them play, a reckon a lot of boys play football manger on here and think it applies in real life. As a said happy enough with the signings on paper, slightly peeved we’ve missed out on a few attackers....a totally understand the financial side, but if we had to pay a top lower league striker a bit more money and it then meant he took up the budget for 2 players a reckon it would be worth it, u get what u pay for in life. They need to gamble so what if He costs 500 a week and it means the squad is one smaller ? These guys make the difference.

As for the sunshine thing........it’s been a bleak 18 months it’s extremely hard to be positive especially with smith and young still in charge. He can sign who he wants, but without stark advising him every week he’s totally out his depth, and uninspiring is an understatement. And a reckon he knows he’s bulletproof.

I will start being positive again when he’s actually managed 2 win 3 -4 games in a row.

1 hour ago, sneed hearn said:

Signings have been more than decent so far but in the end you are only as good as your strikers.

Rubbish you're only as good as your strikers. We could sign Cristiano Ronaldo but we'd be fucked if we had a backline of you, me, King Kebab and Yur maw punts cooncil. An extreme case but still, Peterhead scored 19 more goals than Montrose did in L2 last season but Montrose won the league because they had the best defence and saw out the tight 1-0s enough of the time. In L1,  Albion Rovers scored more goals than Alloa but they went down because they had a rank defence and Alloa went up because they had a good one.

Of course we need a goalscorer or two. I don't think anyone would be happy if this was the squad we finished up with, we're clearly still seriously short in a couple of areas.

It could be worse, this time last season we were about to lose our manager and sign Paul Willis.

Edited by Gordon EF

Sean Dickson was on the pfa list he was decent enough for the time we had him don’t know how well he did after he left though

Dickson hardly set the world alight for us in League 2 in his 3 years at the club, would be shocked if he went to you lot.

20 minutes ago, colin H said:

Willis Furtado would definitely be good to try and get worth trying to get him in before other club try’s for him emoji2.png

We would have to pay for him and he also wants the equivalent of 2 players wages... not really worth that I would say 

The defence looks pretty solid and I’m sure Young is looking at bringing in more attacking options. Still plenty time to bring in new players, our friends from along the road haven’t signed anyone yet B’Jesus!

Talking about players wages. Most of the part time players would love to be full time but what is good to hear is that with their part time job and Fife's wages it's better than some full time offers out there!!

Apparently so, there is obviously different levels to Full-Time, Raith, for example must be the bottom rung as they couldn't afford Spence's FT wages for this year but both ourselves and Arbroath were apparently in with a shout until he decided to go back to PT Alloa, on even more money than was on offer from Raith!!!
If budgeted properly it is possible to be more successful as a PT Club than a FT one on its uppers!!!

13 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Apparently so, there is obviously different levels to Full-Time, Raith, for example must be the bottom rung as they couldn't afford Spence's FT wages for this year but both ourselves and Arbroath were apparently in with a shout until he decided to go back to PT Alloa, on even more money than was on offer from Raith!!!
If budgeted properly it is possible to be more successful as a PT Club than a FT one on its uppers!!!

Well you have the shittest (not actual shit but worse than others) full time guys being full time at the lower full time teams.

Then you have the best part time players at a club that could be in the same league. The full time option doesn’t work for some but they are defo better than some of the also ran players that are full time. 

56 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Spence was told long before the season ended that he wouldn’t be offered a new deal.  You only need to look at the team lines from the last couple of months of the season to see he was out of the managers plans. 

Raith will be the bottom rung for full time though. In the past, under Mcglynn, we had a mostly full time squad with a few part time players thrown in who were earning a good wage in civi street and didn’t want to give it up for the uncertainty of a 1 or 2 year deal. 

Lets face it, if a player is on 30k+ in his own job, and can get a couple of hundred quid a week part time on top of that, it’ll be far more than most championship teams will be offering.  Rory Mcallister and Mark Whatley are two that spring to mind.

I’d also suggest that with fitness and going to the gym being very much in fashion for young guys these days, there won’t be much difference between the levels of full and part time players fitness levels either.