The East Fife Thread

Incredible run aside, how's Smith been in comparison to Naysmith? Any obvious differences in their styles of management?

Not really, I think his hands have been tied with the players he has inherited, but luckily for him they are a good bunch and a good team and they really play it the same way, getting the best out of those players!!!

The only obvious things I can can see that are different from how Gary did things are that we definitely press higher than we did under Gary and decisions can be taken more fluidly and quickly from the dugout, this isn't a dig at Gary but as he was actually playing every week I'd imagine it took longer for him to change things, whereas with Barry he will change things as he sees them and will fire subs on whenever he needs them, under Gary they always seemed to be a last 10 minutes thing!!!

Do think Gary was better at the Post-Match thing though!!!

Not really, I think his hands have been tied with the players he has inherited, but luckily for him they are a good bunch and a good team and they really play it the same way, getting the best out of those players!!!

The only obvious things I can can see that are different from how Gary did things are that we definitely press higher than we did under Gary and decisions can be taken more fluidly and quickly from the dugout, this isn't a dig at Gary but as he was actually playing every week I'd imagine it took longer for him to change things, whereas with Barry he will change things as he sees them and will fire subs on whenever he needs them, under Gary they always seemed to be a last 10 minutes thing!!!

Do think Gary was better at the Post-Match thing though!!!

Smith used to say he hated doing interviews etc and if he could be a manager and never have to do a 'conference' or interview again he'd bite your hand off. [emoji38]

Yeh, next week Peterhead. There will be bruises on top of bruises knowing Peterhead. They certainly have previous. And then on to Alloa where perhaps a game of FOOTBALL might break out.

We missed Robinson today to put his foot on the ball and close down defenders. Hope he is back for next Saturday and take Patersons place.

On 2/18/2017 at 19:15, Ludo*1 said:

Incredible run aside, how's Smith been in comparison to Naysmith? Any obvious differences in their styles of management?

I know Smith inherited Naysmith's squad, but he has had to deal with losing both starting full backs to QOTS and a season ending injury to Kyle Wilkie.  His replacements have been excellent.  He's also benefited with Chris Duggan returning from long term injury and looks a superb asset.

In all honesty, I prefer to watch Smith's side.  I just find the football more attractive to watch.  I may have some observation bias, but I just find the new set up a more attacking outfit.  That's not to detract from what Gary Naysmith did at the club.  He won us a league title and left the club with a great playing squad.

As already mentioned, any changes seem to be implemented quicker, but it's an unfair comparison as Naysmith managed the majority of his games from left back.

He's not as media polished as GN, who was great on camera and always truthful and constructive, but he clearly has the dressing room believing in him.  The squad togetherness is there for all to see.

5 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

I know Smith inherited Naysmith's squad, but he has had to deal with losing both starting full backs to QOTS and a season ending injury to Kyle Wilkie.  His replacements have been excellent.  He's also benefited with Chris Duggan returning from long term injury and looks a superb asset.

In all honesty, I prefer to watch Smith's side.  I just find the football more attractive to watch.  I may have some observation bias, but I just find the new set up a more attacking outfit.  That's not to detract from what Gary Naysmith did at the club.  He won us a league title and left the club with a great playing squad.

As already mentioned, any changes seem to be implemented quicker, but it's an unfair comparison as Naysmith managed the majority of his games from left back.

He's not as media polished as GN, who was great on camera and always truthful and constructive, but he clearly has the dressing room believing in him.  The squad togetherness is there for all to see.

Agree with above, players look up for it under Smith. You can see some changes in the warm up as well with the 4 defenders heading as a team and stepping in/out to get the ball. Smith also has a pair of lungs and the players get told a lot more what to do. So far I am well chuffed with Smith and I am sure he can take us to the play off's and then the roll of the dice from there. One thing I dont know that needs discussed is if we do manage to go up will we go full time or not ? also would like to see some of the key players on contracts ASAP for next year - Gary got the players tied up early last season and that is serving us well this year.

On 18/02/2017 at 21:12, ewan_fife said:

Still a few seats left on the supporters bus travelling to Peterhead next Saturday, leaves Leven at 10am sharp. Contact Ian on 07795 115631 to book a seat

I will be leaving from Laurencekirk to the game on Sat and there are 2 free seats available for any local fans wanting to travel up.

Edited by Brucelee1973