The East Fife Thread

4 hours ago, Sunshine Fifer said:

Any one who was at the game can you give some feedback on how Nicky Patterson played heard he almost won it at the end with a free kick

Patterson looked decent to me & a good addition to the squad with his experience & age. Yes he took free kick at the end which just flew past post, would have been great if that had went in but hey a point not a bad result for us

A lot is focused in this league about the differences between PT and FT and a lot of fans of teams in this league say there is not much of a difference, and where I agree that anyone can beat anyone on any given day. I think the difference is huge just look at all the teams bunched together in the league compared to us the gap is there for all to see.

35 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

A lot is focused in this league about the differences between PT and FT and a lot of fans of teams in this league say there is not much of a difference, and where I agree that anyone can beat anyone on any given day. I think the difference is huge just look at all the teams bunched together in the league compared to us the gap is there for all to see.

I suppose the things is are teams better because they're full time or full time because they're better? Bit of both in reality.

Clearly full time training is preferable to part time training and that should have a difference but I think the bigger difference is that teams who are full time are the teams who are spending more money of their squad and can generally attract a higher standard of player and run larger squads.

If Livi had the exact same squad but were part time, how much worse do people really think they'd be performing? They might not be miles clear in 1st but I'd still expect them to be up there as they're right up there in terms of player quality from 1-11 and throughout their squad.

The other way, if East Fife had the exact same squad but training full time, how much better would we be performing. You'd expect a bit better but would we be right up there going toe-to-toe with Livi for the title? Unlikely.

East Fife were beaten by Livingston 3 - 1 at Toni Macaroni Arena  on 5 November 2016.

In the squad for that game but missing from next Saturdays game are Naysmith,Mercer,O'Hara,McManus,Wilkie,and Wallace.Also missing could be Goodfellow and Kane.

Additionally there could be problems with parent clubs allowing loan players to play.

With the turnover in players and management in the last couple of months,you cannot help but admire the togetherness of the group.

East Fife were beaten by Livingston 3 - 1 at Toni Macaroni Arena  on 5 November 2016.
In the squad for that game but missing from next Saturdays game are Naysmith,Mercer,O'Hara,McManus,Wilkie,and Wallace.Also missing could be Goodfellow and Kane.
Additionally there could be problems with parent clubs allowing loan players to play.
With the turnover in players and management in the last couple of months,you cannot help but admire the togetherness of the group.

Can't see any loan players not getting to play, they're all here until the end of the season.

21 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

I actually think from 1 to 11 most teams are fairly evenly matched, but after that we have by far the biggest squad with the most depth in the league which is why I predicted we would win the league, still a long way to go but we are well on track ATM. 

Absolutely, Jack Ross was doing a terrific job and I think if he'd still been there they wouldn't be on such a poor run, but as you say we will never know, but as I said in the original post if a team has a good coach and is well set up then they could beat anybody, just as East Fife and Queen's Park have been doing.

No doubt about it, I'd say combining PT football with a job is paying significantly more than any Livi or Airdrie players. 

I don't think Ross would've had Alloa up close challenging Livi, there were signs there before he went to St Mirren that their challenge was beginning to slip, they had just dropped points to a couple of teams before he left.

22 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Agree with a lot of that. Pre-season predictions were probably fairly close between Alloa and Livi for the league, from what I remember, and that's obviously because folk thought that Alloa had attracted players who were just as good as (if not better than) Livi and of a higher standard than Airdrie, despite them being full time.

It's obvious that Alloa's fortunes have dipped since Jack Ross moved on and I suppose we'll never know how it might have gone had he stayed.

Money's clearly an issue as well. If FT clubs can offer wages equal to what someone can get combining a job and PT football, it's a bit of a no-brainer for most players. I'm guessing a pretty high proportion of PT players in L1 are getting significantly more income from PT football and an outside job than the majority of Airdrie and Livi players.

From what I remember Livi were nowhere near Alloa in the pre season predictions, most had us 4th and below, and Alloa was being hotly tipped to win the league, with Stranraer also well above us.

My biggest concern was Hopkin, I could see he was putting a decent squad together and with players like Mullen, Buchanan and Pittman we'd score plenty of goals, but i'd witnessed how Hopkin kept playing players out of position last season and wasn't confident he'd have it in him to win the league.

Interesting that McCall came out and said Ayr would remain PT in the Championship, and that he'd rather have quality PT players on high PT waged than low quality FT players on low FT wages. I guess Livi have tried to balance that out a bit by going for younger players with potential, and older more experienced ones with something to prove, looking for another chance after things not going for them earlier in their career, for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

From what I remember Livi were nowhere near Alloa in the pre season predictions, most had us 4th and below, and Alloa was being hotly tipped to win the league, with Stranraer also well above us.

Fair point actually. Think that was just my thoughts on it. I've got a bad habit of giving my own opinions more weight than everyone else's combined.

Can't believe that all threads concerning the Fife are so quiet. Is nothing happening at all at Bayview apart from the weekly draw not being won.

Maybe there are no new additions coming in due to a lack of money but we are 4 players down in numbers recently namely McManus, Naysmith, O 'Hara and Mercer as well as Wallace and Wilikie possibly out for the season with 1 arrival Paterson.

Smith and Duggan coming back are undoubtedly a bonus but particularly Duggan will take time to get up to speed with his match fitness.

Would like to see some activity down Bayview way or we may live to regret it.

Agree with above, the club need to do more in the communication of what is actually going on rather than saying no-one else is leaving.... even if it's that we are not getting any more players. That way the fans can judge how ambitious we are or not if the case may be, also factor in we got some money for Mercer leaving. If the board don't have money be honest about it, if they are going to try and get more players in then say. I also think there should be a weekly interview with the gaffer on EFTV, talking about the club and not just the game that has finished. That way we can get behind the direction rather than second guessing it, would also include the directors in this above.

On 16/01/2017 at 21:53, fatdoug1938 said:

Kerr is a real prospect. Very composed and pitched in with a few goals. Hurst has been solid as well, confident goalie who's not afraid to come for a ball. Granted he's missed some but comes back for more. Fully expect Kerr to be in your first team squad next season

What about young Penrice?