The East Fife Thread

It's a sore one losing Mercer, especially as he can play a few positions and we're short on numbers but it's good to see him moving up a level. It's easy to forget how young he still is as well. Hope he does well at Queens.

Never heard of Paterson and I've got no real idea about the level he's been playing at most of his career in America but his last team was in the 2nd tier over there so you'd have to assume that's pretty decent. Attacking centre mid by the sounds of it.

It's a sore one losing Mercer, especially as he can play a few positions and we're short on numbers but it's good to see him moving up a level. It's easy to forget how young he still is as well. Hope he does well at Queens.
Never heard of Paterson and I've got no real idea about the level he's been playing at most of his career in America but his last team was in the 2nd tier over there so you'd have to assume that's pretty decent. Attacking centre mid by the sounds of it.

Actually the NASL is equivalent to English 2nd Division but should be quality for us

Im gutted hearing that Mercer has joined Qos thought it was all rumours two weeks ago could play two positions i would imagine Kane will slot back to his position before Penrice had to come in at left back but all the best in the league above.

I like the look of this Nicky, bit of unknown and 2nd tier oversee sounds a good level to return to Scotland and joining the club should do a job with Wilkie and Wallace sidelined needed another player in midfield. 

First McManus leaves, then we lose a left back in Naysmith, then a goalkeeper for a few weeks to injury, Wallacw and possibly Wilkie (2 midfielders) for the rest of the season, Mercer gone to a higher league ( best wishes to him),  So far we have got a player on loan and a player who we will have to cross our fingers about cos nobody knows him.

Yes Kane can slot in at right back, he has been one of the most consistent this season but what about injuries to any of the back four. Although I like Ross Brown, I don't think he is a right back.

Still hope to see additions to the squad soon.

Certainly leaves us well short of numbers in defence if anyone gets injured or suspended it will be round pegs in square holes.Dissapointed to lose Mercer hope it's not going to be like when davie Clarke left to join Falkirk and took all our best players with him and we were relegated the next season.

3 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

What kind of player we getting in Scott mercer? Decent defensively, good going forward?

Definitely a 'modern' kind of full back, in that he's comfortable on the ball, good with both feet and offers a lot going forward rather than being some bruiser who's too wee to play centre back. I never thought he was defensively suspect or anything and possibly suffered in comparison to Naysmith last season, who defensively sailed through games at L2 level, but that's probably the area of his game he'll have to work on if he's going to make it at Championship level. Gary Naysmith is probably the ideal manager to bring him on to that level though. Don't know the Queens squad too well so not sure if he'll make an immediate impact but could very well be a very decent Championship player in a year or two.

10 hours ago, wattie_rojas said:

With Barry's Dundee connections I can see him signing a couple of young guys from us. 

The likes of Gourlay, Dryden, Waddell and Curran could all do well imo. They play keeper, right back, centre back and centre mid respectively.

We'll need a right back well another defensive option within this squad was young Dryden at Elgin last season on-loan   I'll take him as a option if it's available but possibly what I was thinking he'll have many links with his former club so could see many Dee players coming to East Fife at his time here in Methil.

Certainly leaves us well short of numbers in defence if anyone gets injured or suspended it will be round pegs in square holes.Dissapointed to lose Mercer hope it's not going to be like when davie Clarke left to join Falkirk and took all our best players with him and we were relegated the next season.

Thankfully the club have clearly stated that no other players would be leaving this season. Does anyone know if we received a fee for Mercer?

With Barry's Dundee connections I can see him signing a couple of young guys from us. 
The likes of Gourlay, Dryden, Waddell and Curran could all do well imo. They play keeper, right back, centre back and centre mid respectively.

We are set at goalie with hurst with good fellow back in a few weeks ctr back set too with page and Kerr Kane can also play there in a pinch .. right back and center mid are a concern but you get the feeling Barry wants to get a bit more experience