Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Isn't it quite interesting how everyone who is against drug legalisation - and tacitly for the war on drugs - admits they don't know a lot about the topic and it's "just their opinion".

Well, yah, because if you did know about it - that would not be your opinion.

My contribution to this thread has been terrific, incredibly specific and relevant.

Away and smoke a bong then you hippy

So, are you aware how utterly out your depth you are here?

If you're not, might be a good idea for you to read this thread.

Im merely having a giraffe keep your hair on

I don't particularly care if it gets legalised or not i just thought i would add a pretty common opinion and i got some pretty hostile responses

Oh I don't know Supras recent posts maybe swaying me to keep the status quo, don't think as a society we are mature enough to cope now.

Which posts are swaying you? Be specific.

Im merely having a giraffe keep your hair on

I don't particularly care if it gets legalised or not i just thought i would add a pretty common opinion and i got some pretty hostile responses

It's common because of lack of education. This thread can educate you.

But, on the whole, supporting the war on drugs - whilst based on ignorance - is still a wholly irresponsible viewpoint from a moral and ethical perspective. This deserves to be pointed out.

Thankfully enthusiastic proponents of the war on drugs - or status quo - are actually extremely difficult to find. Nobody who understands the policy supports it.

Isn't it quite interesting how everyone who is against drug legalisation - and tacitly for the war on drugs - admits they don't know a lot about the topic and it's "just their opinion".

Well, yah, because if you did know about it - that would not be your opinion.

My contribution to this thread has been terrific, incredibly specific and relevant.

Weirdly, I've never really been all that clued up on the facts and figures for legalisation of cannabis, but its something that I've always been in favour of.

It just seems like common sense to me - why bother spending vast sums of money fighting a drugs war to prohibit something which causes little to no harm, to individuals or property, with the obvious hypocrisy of alcohol being legal despite having far more potential for misuse? Like they say in the wire, calling it a "War on Drugs" is a bit of a misnomer - wars end.

For me, the only grey area would be age restrictions - I *think* (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) that there is evidence that cannabis/marijuana can have a negative impact on younger smokers (edit: and when I say evidence, I'm not talking the bullshit kind of study paid for by anti-drugs lobbyists but evidence that is actually impartial), but once you're past 18/19 you can smoke it with no harm.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

The onus in these debates is, usually, why drugs should be legalised. A case I a more than happy to forward in a comprehensive manner.

What should happen more is the onus put on those who oppose legalisation to say precisely why drug users should be imprisoned, and what moral justification they have for criminalising the crime of consumption.

Can marijuana be harmful when consumed in excessive quantities? Yes, although not nearly as harmful as when consuming alcohol in excessive quantities, or paracetamol in excessive quantities, or even caffeine in excessive quantities.

No way should it be legalised. Absolutely not. There are no health, financial or social benefits to its legalisation. Other than some folks who smoke it ilklegally hoping to rid their conscience of the fact they're committing a crime and supporting an illegal drug industry, nobody wants it.

Yes, weed heads, think of that. You might only be buying marijuana, but your seller is selling more and you're keeping him in business.

No way should it be legalised. Absolutely not. There are no health, financial or social benefits to its legalisation. Other than some folks who smoke it ilklegally hoping to rid their conscience of the fact they're committing a crime and supporting an illegal drug industry, nobody wants it.

Yes, weed heads, think of that. You might only be buying marijuana, but your seller is selling more and you're keeping him in business.

Uhuh, except legalisation would significantly diminish this illegal drug industry.

Pity you couldn't even get that right.

I don't like the argument that alcohol can be dangerous as well though. While you are at it why don't you just make ecstasy legal too? Most people who take that dance about like mad, feel all loved up then it wears off. Its a relatively safe drug as well its the other chemicals put in it that make it dangerous

Uhuh, except legalisation would significantly diminish this illegal drug industry.

Pity you couldn't even get that right.

How would it? You just create a generation of more people on marijuana who might wish to take things further with other drugs.

I don't like the argument that alcohol can be dangerous as well though. While you are at it why don't you just make ecstasy legal too? Most people who take that dance about like mad, feel all loved up then it wears off. Its a relatively safe drug as well its the other chemicals put in it that make it dangerous

That's baws. Ecstacy is dangerous.

Long term effects include memory problems, depression, anxiety, liver, kidney and heart problems, suppressed immune system, sleep depravation...and that is no even discussing short term effects.

That's baws. Ecstacy is dangerous.

Long term effects include memory problems, depression, anxiety, liver, kidney and heart problems, suppressed immune system, sleep depravation...and that is no even discussing short term effects.

Im pretty sure these effects are evident amongst those who have taken the drug daily over a spell of time rather than your usual weekend pill popper. Saw a programme about the effects it had on one guy who took bout 20 a day for a couple years and his head was mush but then again 20 cups of coffee a day would be pretty risky as well so where do you draw the line?

Im pretty sure these effects are evident amongst those who have taken the drug daily over a spell of time rather than your usual weekend pill popper. Saw a programme about the effects it had on one guy who took bout 20 a day for a couple years and his head was mush but then again 20 cups of coffee a day would be pretty risky as well so where do you draw the line?

Really?? Comparing ecstacy consumption with coffee??

How much have you been smoking?

How would it? You just create a generation of more people on marijuana who might wish to take things further with other drugs.

The idea that weed is a gateway drug is madness. The only current reason is that the user goes to the same person to buy it. Nicotine or alcohol are far more likely to be considered gateway drugs, but even then you could reasonably consider sugar a gateway drug.

What the poll fails to address is the need for proper punishment of these offenders - dealers and buyers. Two sides of the same problematic coin. when was the last person sent to prison for posession? Probably need to carry a sackful around with you to get properly done. One joint should equal thirty days. And maybe have some kind of drug offenders register so that future employers know if they have a proper citizen or potential dope fiend.