Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It will give off wrong signals to the younger and lesser educated amongst us with regards to the short term and long term risks

Surely the problem there is education and not drugs being legal? I don't actually think it would give off the wrong signals, in a "drug shop" you can have plenty of information available for people who need it, warning them of what they're getting into. At the moment you have folk going to some guy's house who tell them it's the bees knees and send them on their way.

I don't for one minute believe that making drugs legal would turn everyone into drug taking zombies. If people want to do it, they'll do it (as you've said), we should be doing everything we can to make sure the drugs they're taking are clean and controlled.

Surely the problem there is education and not drugs being legal? I don't actually think it would give off the wrong signals, in a "drug shop" you can have plenty of information available for people who need it, warning them of what they're getting into. At the moment you have folk going to some guy's house who tell them it's the bees knees and send them on their way.

I don't for one minute believe that making drugs legal would turn everyone into drug taking zombies. If people want to do it, they'll do it (as you've said), we should be doing everything we can to make sure the drugs they're taking are clean and controlled.

i understand what you are saying but i still don't think there will be any gain in making it legal, more people will try it if they know its legal which can lead to taking other substances that are more harmful. It won't bother me personally its just my stance on the situation.

Should alcohol companies be allowed to advertise or sponsor sports events if this is an issue?

Alcohol has always been legal, it definitely is an awful thing in itself when abused i agree but most people take a drink and the effects of it are common knowledge. Most parents can advise their kids as they will have been there themselves but weed is a far less sociable drug that is more frowned upon by society at large

i understand what you are saying but i still don't think there will be any gain in making it legal, more people will try it if they know its legal which can lead to taking other substances that are more harmful. It won't bother me personally its just my stance on the situation.

Alcohol has always been legal, it definitely is an awful thing in itself when abused i agree but most people take a drink and the effects of it are common knowledge. Most parents can advise their kids as they will have been there themselves but weed is a far less sociable drug that is more frowned upon by society at large

You said yourself that the people who do it can get their hands on it anyway. Why do you also think that the people who don't do it now will suddenly be queuing up to try it if it were made legal? Surely if these people wanted to do it they could get their hands on it, as you pointed out?

Weed is frowned upon because the information broadly given on it by politicians etc. is incorrect (see your weed is an unsociable drug point above). It's far less harmful than alcohol and the fact that alcohol's "always been legal" isn't a justification for keeping it legal. You're highlighting an education issue here more than fighting against weed being legal.

Cannabis was legal up till 1928. Break the link with other illegal drugs that are more harmfull. I don't smoke it myself, tried it a couple of times, prefered getting mad with it on Billy or acid in me younger days. Here's some stats, notice which illegal drug is not listed.

Untitled_zps0aedc0cb.png

^ Thats fair enough, although just because it doesn't kill anyone doesn't mean theres no harm in it plus, weed is the sort of thing that leads to more harmful things but yet again so does alcohol

To be completely honest i have no invested interest in the matter one bit although its of my opinion it shouldn't be made legal and I'm arguing my case because I'm off ill today and have nothing better to do

I have smoked weed a few times but the first drugs i took were coke MDMA and pills so you can imagine what a disappointment weed was. Just made me tired lazy and paranoid,i prefer a thrill !

^ Thats fair enough, although just because it doesn't kill anyone doesn't mean theres no harm in it plus, weed is the sort of thing that leads to more harmful things but yet again so does alcohol

To be completely honest i have no invested interest in the matter one bit although its of my opinion it shouldn't be made legal and I'm arguing my case because I'm off ill today and have nothing better to do

I have smoked weed a few times but the first drugs i took were coke MDMA and pills so you can imagine what a disappointment weed was. Just made me tired lazy and paranoid,i prefer a thrill !

This film is about Heroin mate, I realise thread about cannabis but film does make many points that are relevant. If you got the time watch it if not, all the best to you, will agree to disagree.

So, in your own experience, the point you're arguing doesn't even stand for yourself?

Also, weed not causing death is absolutely an argument for it to be made legal, especially when other legal drugs cause far more harm to society.

So, in your own experience, the point you're arguing doesn't even stand for yourself?

Also, weed not causing death is absolutely an argument for it to be made legal, especially when other legal drugs cause far more harm to society.

No i suppose not but it has been the case for a lot of people i was at school with who started smoking weed then got into coke etc - i went for the class a's first because alcohol wasn't enough and i would find myself dis interested in people around me when i was drinking. Weed never appealed to me and probably never will.

I just don't see why it should be made legal when there are more important matters at hand in this current time. Cant see it ever being made legal in the UK

No i suppose not but it has been the case for a lot of people i was at school with who started smoking weed then got into coke etc - i went for the class a's first because alcohol wasn't enough and i would find myself dis interested in people around me when i was drinking. Weed never appealed to me and probably never will.

I just don't see why it should be made legal when there are more important matters at hand in this current time. Cant see it ever being made legal in the UK

Such as a fucked economy/country in recession? If only there was a billion(s) pound industry the government could take over, tax and make money off of...

Isn't it quite interesting how everyone who is against drug legalisation - and tacitly for the war on drugs - admits they don't know a lot about the topic and it's "just their opinion".

Well, yah, because if you did know about it - that would not be your opinion.

My contribution to this thread has been terrific, incredibly specific and relevant.