Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Any money the same people that fail to grasp this are also the ones who think a No vote is the best thing in September.

The consequence of a lack of intelligence, a willingness to believe what the establishment tell them and a lack of independent thought.

This come backs regarding pricing are up there with the stupidest things I've ever read and sadly for them its stupidity rather than trolling.

Empty rhetoric. Until prices are established it's all purely hypothetics/speculation/guesswork.

According to you and the like, one of the failures of the 'war on drugs' is that it costs billions per year. How much is this legislation programme going to cost to set up and maintain in comparison?

I'll tell you - you don't have a clue. And all that money spent so that it makes a slight dent in the amount of gear that dealers punt just now. Brilliant.

So you have no idea of the production or packaging costs,the testing costs, the licensing costs, the regulation costs, the marketing costs, the distribution costs or how much duty or vat will be added but you know it will be cheaper than the present method. What happens when the arse falls out of the illegal trade and the price plummets? will it still be cheaper?

The price isnt going to plummet in the illegal trade you absolute moron as the people currently risking their lives and liberty are hardly going to do it for peanuts are they?

The billions currently spent on illegal drugs in this country will go to the government instead, add to that the money saved sacking off the pointless and thoroughly expensive 'war on drugs' which seems to be achieving the sum total of,well, nothing. How am I supposed to know how much tax is going to go on a gram of gear? Your responses are feeble and childlike, due to the fact you dont have the first idea what you are talking about.

http://www.academia.edu/434192/The_diamorphine_shortage_The_course_lessons_and_implications_of_the_diamorphine_shortage

For the boys who are desperate for figures.

In 2005 we were paying £41.36 a gram, a rip off given the dutch were only paying £6.30.

By comparison current street price is approx £70 a gram, with it's unknown purity maybe lower than 14% acording to this article http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/mar/15/heroin-shortage-britain-overdose-deaths

Ok they are more than a decade old for some figures I can accept that, but it seems to have only ever come out as a result of the 2005 shortage of diamorphine. Sure if your that bothered you can try and find more up to date figures.

If that isn't enough for you then go and do your own research.

The price isnt going to plummet in the illegal trade you absolute moron as the people currently risking their lives and liberty are hardly going to do it for peanuts are they?

The billions currently spent on illegal drugs in this country will go to the government instead, add to that the money saved sacking off the pointless and thoroughly expensive 'war on drugs' which seems to be achieving the sum total of,well, nothing. How am I supposed to know how much tax is going to go on a gram of gear? Your responses are feeble and childlike, due to the fact you dont have the first idea what you are talking about.

You're the moron if you think that legalising drugs is going to wipe out the dealers :lol:

Smoking is legal yet 25% of that trade is done via the black market for the simple reason that it's cheaper. And as for childlike responses, constantly going on about how much cheaper something will be while admitting you have no idea how much it will cost is absolutely fucking idiotic. If you think government regulation is going to cure societies problems rather than attempt to create an industry to match tobacco and alcohol with the problems that go with it you're up a gum tree.

Any money the same people that fail to grasp this are also the ones who think a No vote is the best thing in September.

The consequence of a lack of intelligence, a willingness to believe what the establishment tell them and a lack of independent thought.

This come backs regarding pricing are up there with the stupidest things I've ever read and sadly for them its stupidity rather than trolling.

So do you know what the comparable costs will be or are you going to waffle on about how it will undercut the dealers without having the first clue about any of the associated costs either?

FWIW, I would prefer so see regulation and decriminalisation of the drug trade but I think it's naive in the extreme to think these things will rid the world of drug dealers. These thing would rack up massive costs before they got anywhere near the end consumer and that's before you add on pharmaceutical company profits and the government ripping the hole out of it like they do with tobacco and alcohol.

You're the moron if you think that legalising drugs is going to wipe out the dealers :lol:Smoking is legal yet 25% of that trade is done via the black market for the simple reason that it's cheaper. .

That's disputed

Cancer research say

"The illicit cigarette market has been falling since its peak in the early 2000s, yet the tobacco industry claims the illicit trade is ‘booming’ (which a parliamentary report noted is “contrary to the available statistics”). Even their representatives (the Tobacco Manufacturers Association) accept that the consumption of illicit tobacco in the UK is falling,"

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/prod_consump/groups/cr_common/@nre/@pol/documents/generalcontent/cr_095817.pdf

That's disputed

Cancer research say

"The illicit cigarette market has been falling since its peak in the early 2000s, yet the tobacco industry claims the illicit trade is booming (which a parliamentary report noted is contrary to the available statistics). Even their representatives (the Tobacco Manufacturers Association) accept that the consumption of illicit tobacco in the UK is falling,"http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/prod_consump/groups/cr_common/@nre/@pol/documents/generalcontent/cr_095817.pdf

From a different source :lol:

The Tobacco Manufacturers Association claimed that more recent data showed that "the level of cigarettes consumed that are not UK tax paid has risen from 17% in 2011 to 21% in 2012" and that figures from the Office of Budget Responsibility last week showed the government expected to receive £200m less in tobacco revenue in 2012-13.

Edited by blanco

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/45969

Petition by Caroline Lucas

Don't think it will go anywhere, but I feel it would be hypocritical of me to argue over it one here and then ignore the petition.

On the tobacco stuff, it's worth noting that figures about no uk tax payed does not by any means mean they are fakes, or even illegal.

Regardless even if they were all fakes you are arguing a positive point by saying we could make 80% of drugs regulated with duty payed.

Empty rhetoric. Until prices are established it's all purely hypothetics/speculation/guesswork.

According to you and the like, one of the failures of the 'war on drugs' is that it costs billions per year. How much is this legislation programme going to cost to set up and maintain in comparison?

I'll tell you - you don't have a clue. And all that money spent so that it makes a slight dent in the amount of gear that dealers punt just now. Brilliant.

The fact you try and dress up this dross like you are winning the arguement is really embarrassing for you.

if everyone were to smoke weed all the time, far less work would get done

Any basis for this other than "I smoked it once and it made me a bit tired"?

That is it in a nutshell. If a junkie wants more after he has surpassed his daily limit then he's off to buy it illegally, which renders the scheme pointless.

By the way, you keep banging on about drug users being imprisoned. Where does this happen? I've never heard of anyone being banged up just for using.

The vast majority of users would buy from licensed shops. When the illegal market goes to such a small level, gangsters and the like will need new ways of making money, that could mean they slash their prices but I cannot see that happening. Some people will still try and buy it illegally but the number of people doing so would be greatly reduced. Surely reducing a problem is far better than what we have now? You'll never have a perfect system, it's about getting the best one.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-1

Here's an article which talks about how Colorado have legalised weed. Note the "Goldilocks Point" in which an analyst looks at how to price weed so that it's not so low that people look at ways of buying loads of it but not too high that dealers will start producing cheaper than them. So like any product the value will change with the economy and other factors.

As for setting it up, do you expect it to cost more than what it currently costs us, i.e. billions? I'm not so sure. The whole point here isn't to "make a slight dent in the amount of gear a dealer sells" anyway, it's about making drugs safer for the people who use them, the fact that legislation will clear out some (I say some to keep you happy as I don't have figures to hand, I honestly think it will wipe out a lot of them) dealers is more of an added bonus in my view.

Colorado & Washington will show us what can be done with weed (barring a miraculous f**k up) and from there I think slowly but surely you can show people it's not going to be the disaster you expect.

^ Blatently obvious just by looking around at the people who smoke it on a regular basis

Right. I smoke weed, just about every day. The guy who does the exact same job as me has never done drugs, doesn't drink has far more qualifications than me but I put in far more work than he does. Should we ban folk from going to Uni because a few folk who have done so are lazy c***s in employment?

Weed smokers can still go to their job every day without being high as a kite and we can still do as good a job as anyone. Again, the notion that everyone will turn into a useless jakie is so far wrong.

Right. I smoke weed, just about every day. The guy who does the exact same job as me has never done drugs, doesn't drink has far more qualifications than me but I put in far more work than he does. Should we ban folk from going to Uni because a few folk who have done so are lazy c***s in employment?

Weed smokers can still go to their job every day without being high as a kite and we can still do as good a job as anyone. Again, the notion that everyone will turn into a useless jakie is so far wrong.

I would suggest you lay off the plants and do something more healthy with your life

looks like the paranoid psychosis is taking a grip here :lol: nobody said everybody that smokes weed is a useless jaikie ffs. maybe you need to lay off it for a bit before you end up with a nervous twitch.

I dont really know what to make of this response, if you can call it that? What exactly are you trying to say?

I'm guessing that on a thread entitled 'Should Weed Be Legal ?' and we're talking about 'hard' drugs you've read the last couple of pages at least and seen how the debate has moved. Which bit don't you understand ?

Linking someones views on drugs to the independence vote and then saying anyone who doesn't agree with you shows a lack of intelligence is stretching things a tad. I'm sorry but thats poor on a number of different levels.

Linking someones views on drugs to the independence vote and then saying anyone who doesn't agree with you shows a lack of intelligence is stretching things a tad. I'm sorry but thats poor on a number of different levels.

Leave him be, Chomp, his twisted logic is there for all to see.