Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, you agree that drug legalisation will be successful in moving addicts into buying safer products and reducing the influence of criminal gangs?

Excellent.

No, you're right, bars frequently serve lethal doses of alcohol to their customers.

Oh no, Deeman bottling another post :(

Depends how you define 'all the time' - If someone who maybe smokes lets say 6 or 7 cigarettes at work per day, substituted that for 6 or 7 joints, then yes, there'd probably be a lot less work got done.

I personally find that maybe a joint on the way to work or at lunchtime sometimes makes me more productive as I kind-of switch off from other non-work things on my mind or from the general distractions of other people around me at work, and I get in-the-zone with what I'm meant to be doing.

It also depends how you make a joint as well. If I do have one during work hours I don't pack it full of weed, just a liberal amount to give that relaxed feeling whilst keeping my wits about me and the ability to concentrate & communicate. Plus packing a joint full sometimes gives those tell-tale half shut eyes which you probably wouldn't want in front of your boss.

Yeah - i haven't ever smoked it sober have usually been drinking when i do it so the effects are somewhat lost on me. It just seems like a pretty anti progress drug!

there is no chance whatsoever that drug dealers could undercut major pharmaceutical companies - who can make these drugs at a minuscule cost.

Where's your price list?

How much is each individual drug going to cost in comparison on a like for like basis when things like vat and duty are lumped on by the government?

Will you be allowed to cultivate your own cannabis when the government are selling it, or will that be illegal?

If it ends up costing more to buy government approved drugs will it have any effect on dealers?

Where's your price list? How much is each individual drug going to cost in comparison on a like for like basis when things like vat and duty are lumped on by the government? Will you be allowed to cultivate your own cannabis when the government are selling it, or will that be illegal? If it ends up costing more to buy government approved drugs will it have any effect on dealers?

Er, I've already stated that any prices be developed after consultation with experts and producers. A price list? You don't seriously think I have a price list? What on earth would that achieve?

With regards to Cannabis, I absolutely do think you should be able to grow it on your own. Certainly for possession. For supply I think that would come in time with appropriate licenses in place.

I can't believe this is still a discussion, how on earth could some street level thug produce drugs at lowest cost than a multinational whose entire business is, er, producing drugs? If mags Heaney can make paracetamol and cancer drugs at cheaper cost than Pfizer, Astra Zeneca and GSK she should be having an IPO.

How can you not know what the rrp will be? You claim that drugs will be cheaper and street dealers will be greatly undercut.

How much will it cost to produce, package, distribute and market the drugs and what amount of duty will the government levy on these products?

ETA, be very specific :P

Edited by blanco

Prolonged use of cannabis absolutely has an effect on people. In that sense, it's kinda like every other substance on earth. Except whilst prolonged use of alcohol causes death, caffeine causes heart problems about the worst you can get from cannabis is mental illness. And that's excessive usage over many years. Excessive consumption of water during one day will kill you. Excessive consumption of paracetamol during one day will kill you. That's why those arguing that cannabis is "eventually harmful after doing a lot of it, over decades" are completely missing the point. Not that I'm "up in arms" about it, anyway. This is a peaceful discussion and should remain as such.

Dramatically overhauled? It should be completely abolished, and will go down as one of the most shameful policies in the 20th century.

In what cases should imprisoning drug users be acceptable? Be extremely specific.

As for the second point, er....what? Because consumers "perpetuate" the drug trade they should be imprisoned :unsure:

What's wrong with wanting to take drugs? It's a basic human desire, really. Do you drink alcohol? Are you perpetuating the alcohol trade? Or is the alcohol trade okay because it is safe and legal? Right? So why don't we make that the case for all drugs...?

Your first point is not relevant.

Neither is your second, really. Even if we assume you have never drank alcohol, never smoked a cigarette, never taken a drink of coffee. These are your choices. Nobody is disputing your right to make them. So why do you advocate imprisoning those who make different choices to you?

Your first paragraph is not, in any sense, an argument against legalisation.

It would be similar to the one described here - http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/06/01/heroin_clinic_didnt_hurt_montreal_street_study.html

It is clearly different from existing laws, users have a chance to consume their drugs safely, under supervised conditions and with a product they know to be safe. It could scarcely be more different to the current situation.

As discussed, there is no chance whatsoever that drug dealers could undercut major pharmaceutical companies - who can make these drugs at a minuscule cost.

Yes I drink alcohol, because I like the taste of beer. So yes, of course I'm contributing to the drinks trade. I also make my own. Since you're drawing comparisons, should it be legal to make your own heroin? Let me guess - that's irrelevant. But my point is you can't possibly put alcohol (or cannabis, or caffeine) in the same bracket as heroin or crack.

There is clearly an argument for prescribing heroin as there is evidence from other countries that it can work. I'm not convinced with the "legalise all drugs" argument though. If a legal heroin centre can wean junkies off it then it can only be beneficial, but who would go to such a place to take ecstasy, cocaine, crystal meth? Unless the medical staff hand out glowsticks on the way in then I don't think it's the kind of atmosphere the people who want to take these recreational substances are looking for.

You've also somehow managed to argue against my points that were actually in agreement with you, impressive.

Er, I've already stated that any prices be developed after consultation with experts and producers. A price list? You don't seriously think I have a price list? What on earth would that achieve?

Hmmm so you're speculating like tbe rest of us.

The prosecution rests its case !

How can you not know what the rrp will be? You claim that drugs will be cheaper and street dealers will be greatly undercut.

How much will it cost to produce, package, distribute and market the drugs and what amount of duty will the government levy on these products?

ETA, be very specific :P

Are dealers plucking their drugs out of thin air or something? A multinational company producing literally tons of pills or whatever is going to produce them at a much cheaper price than dealers who have to produce in much smaller doses.

Cannabis should be legal, and IMO probably will be in some form within the next 4-5 years. In the USA states are falling like dominos as they realize the financial gains other states are making. All drugs should be legalized, regulated and taxed really, but that wont happen till all the old dafties with their heads stuck in the sand are dead and gone.

What is especially sad is every time some kid dies from a dodgy pill all the police and press have to say is 'drugs is bad m'kay', there are harm reduction charities/websites out there and reagent test kits are easily and cheaply available but I have never once heard them being mentioned. It wouldnt cost much to set up a proper test lab and would save lives. Also a wee bit of education wouldnt go amiss, taking 5+ strong pills as a teenager is comparable to tanning a litre of vodka straight. The government have blood on their hands same as the scumbags who put dangerous stuff in pills.

Sorry, had to come back for a second pop. Surely the cessation of the 'war on drugs' will pay for it, never mind the cost, even if you don't know what it would be and if all the hard working 9 to 5 working drug users play by the rules.

Are dealers plucking their drugs out of thin air or something? A multinational company producing literally tons of pills or whatever is going to produce them at a much cheaper price than dealers who have to produce in much smaller doses.

Dealers don't have to worry about massive development and regulation costs, they've hardly got any overheads for packaging or marketing either unless the cost of cellophane and text messages have significantly increased.

How much exactly is a multinational going to sell the products for and how much duty and vat is going to be applied to the products?

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the average smack head is hardly a connoisseur and is after the biggest bang for their buck so what will the comparative cost be?

Dealers don't have to worry about massive development and regulation costs, they've hardly got any overheads for packaging or marketing either unless the cost of cellophane and text messages have significantly increased.

How much exactly is a multinational going to sell the products for and how much duty and vat is going to be applied to the products?

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the average smack head is hardly a connoisseur and is after the biggest bang for their buck so what will the comparative cost be?

You sir, are an idiot. The drugs industry has MASSIVE overheads, due to the fact they are illegal. The value of the drugs multiplies several hundred times from producer to street level. How you could possibly believe one of the most lucrative industries in the country could have no overheads is astoundingly stupid. Legal drugs would be cheaper and higher quality even with duty and tax added

You honestly don't have a fucking clue. :lol:

You sir, are an idiot. The drugs industry has MASSIVE overheads, due to the fact they are illegal. The value of the drugs multiplies several hundred times from producer to street level. How you could possibly believe one of the most lucrative industries in the country could have no overheads is astoundingly stupid. Legal drugs would be cheaper and higher quality even with duty and tax added

These state drug emporiums will no doubt be built and staffed round the clock by good samaritans only too happy to provide a service for the sterling hard working user. They'll be more than happy to meet all expectations, more smack Sir, suit you Sir.

These state drug emporiums will no doubt be built and staffed round the clock by good samaritans only too happy to provide a service for the sterling hard working user. They'll be more than happy to meet all expectations, more smack Sir, suit you Sir.

I dont really know what to make of this response, if you can call it that? What exactly are you trying to say?

You honestly don't have a fucking clue. :lol:

Still not seeing any prices here. How much are they going to cost in comparison?

How do the multi nationals overheads compare to man in the jungles.

How much does a kilo of coke cost from the man in the jungle and how much does it cost when it gets here.

How much would it cost from the shelf if it became legal.

Still not seeing any prices here. How much are they going to cost in comparison?

How do the multi nationals overheads compare to man in the jungles.

How much does a kilo of coke cost from the man in the jungle and how much does it cost when it gets here.

How much would it cost from the shelf if it became legal.

Kilo of pure cocaine from jungle £700-£1000, In UK 35-45k. You keep asking for prices as if that proves your shitey points somehow. I dont know what it would cost on the shelf exactly or what the rate of tax would be but it would certainly be cheaper.

Kilo of pure cocaine from jungle £700-£1000, In UK 35-45k. You keep asking for prices as if that proves your shitey points somehow. I dont know what it would cost on the shelf exactly or what the rate of tax would be but it would certainly be cheaper.

So you have no idea of the production or packaging costs,the testing costs, the licensing costs, the regulation costs, the marketing costs, the distribution costs or how much duty or vat will be added but you know it will be cheaper than the present method. What happens when the arse falls out of the illegal trade and the price plummets? will it still be cheaper?

Any money the same people that fail to grasp this are also the ones who think a No vote is the best thing in September.

The consequence of a lack of intelligence, a willingness to believe what the establishment tell them and a lack of independent thought.

This come backs regarding pricing are up there with the stupidest things I've ever read and sadly for them its stupidity rather than trolling.