Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the poll fails to address is the need for proper punishment of these offenders - dealers and buyers. Two sides of the same problematic coin. when was the last person sent to prison for posession? Probably need to carry a sackful around with you to get properly done. One joint should equal thirty days. And maybe have some kind of drug offenders register so that future employers know if they have a proper citizen or potential dope fiend.

Obvious troll is obvious.

No way should it be legalised. Absolutely not. There are no health, financial or social benefits to its legalisation. Other than some folks who smoke it ilklegally hoping to rid their conscience of the fact they're committing a crime and supporting an illegal drug industry, nobody wants it.

Yes, weed heads, think of that. You might only be buying marijuana, but your seller is selling more and you're keeping him in business.

Your choice of avatar seems a tad hypocritical in view of your firmly anti drug views.

Your choice of avatar seems a tad hypocritical in view of your firmly anti drug views.

I don't see how. Thompson's writing badly deteriorated through the 80s due to heavy drug use and he ended up blowing his own brains out. Makes my point perfectly well.

How would it? You just create a generation of more people on marijuana who might wish to take things further with other drugs.

Not an issue, I'd legalise all currently illegal drugs.

I don't like the argument that alcohol can be dangerous as well though. While you are at it why don't you just make ecstasy legal too? Most people who take that dance about like mad, feel all loved up then it wears off. Its a relatively safe drug as well its the other chemicals put in it that make it dangerous

See previous point.

That's baws. Ecstacy is dangerous.

Long term effects include memory problems, depression, anxiety, liver, kidney and heart problems, suppressed immune system, sleep depravation...and that is no even discussing short term effects.

If it's dangerous, why do you think imprisoning those who voluntarily use it is going to help?

What the poll fails to address is the need for proper punishment of these offenders - dealers and buyers. Two sides of the same problematic coin. when was the last person sent to prison for posession? Probably need to carry a sackful around with you to get properly done. One joint should equal thirty days. And maybe have some kind of drug offenders register so that future employers know if they have a proper citizen or potential dope fiend.

What is the moral justification for imprisoning people who have marijuana on their possession? Be specific.

I like the "all these chemicals put in ecstasy give you liver problems/heart problems/memory loss/blah/fucking blah" justification for keeping drugs illegal, don't you realise if it were legal the government could control it and remove all the shite that goes into ecstasy, therefore making it safer for the user.

I agree on locking stoners up though, too many of them I see running through the high street at weekends, square going anyone who looks at them wrongly, smashing bottles over peoples heads, raping and pillaging women as they go. They are a danger to society.

I don't see how. Thompson's writing badly deteriorated through the 80s due to heavy drug use and he ended up blowing his own brains out. Makes my point perfectly well.

Most of his best work came through experiences he had involving excess indulgence in narcotics. He killed himself due to feeling worthless and lacking any real more drive to work or live. Imagine drugs probably had some effect but you can hardly be a huge Thompson fan without being relatively open to people taking drugs. No narcotics = no Hunter.

I have completely ignored this thread. Just clicked on it and seen supras has 68 posts.

Go me!

Celebrates ignoring a thread by...reading and posting in that thread.

This is exactly the kind of sheer stupidity T_S_A_R demonstrates on a regular basis.

I like the "all these chemicals put in ecstasy give you liver problems/heart problems/memory loss/blah/fucking blah" justification for keeping drugs illegal, don't you realise if it were legal the government could control it and remove all the shite that goes into ecstasy, therefore making it safer for the user.

I agree on locking stoners up though, too many of them I see running through the high street at weekends, square going anyone who looks at them wrongly, smashing bottles over peoples heads, raping and pillaging women as they go. They are a danger to society.

Go and make another Streets album, Mike

I reckon it should be lagalised. Its kinda daft that people can drink themselves stupid and cause hassle every weekend for public services yet the quiet guy rolling a joint is the one who gets thrown into a jail cell.

The only politician I've heard argue this point is Nigel Farage.

How would it? You just create a generation of more people on marijuana who might wish to take things further with other drugs.

What proof is there that this is even remotely true? PROTIP: don't use the Daily Mail as a source here if you value any semblance of credibility!

And even if it is - it's an incredibly weak argument that adults, who are capable of making decisions for themselves *might* end up taking harder drugs that *might* cause some harm to themselves if weed gets legalised.

I don't get this leap of logic (using the term loosely) that legalising marijuana will magically create millions of heroin-addicted crack fiends that snort cocaine every five seconds overnight.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

What should happen more is the onus put on those who oppose legalisation to say precisely why drug users should be imprisoned, and what moral justification they have for criminalising the crime of consumption.

This, right here, is a very salient point.

I would love for the debate to shift more in this direction in the mainstream - if politicians were pressed into putting forward a case for why a lot of recreational drugs are currently prohibited at the moment, they would crumble because there's no real justification for it. As it is, framing the question as "Should certain drugs be legalised?" allows them to peddle all manner of bullshit scare-stories and "Won't somebody please think of the children?!?!?" defenses.

As you say - the onus should be on politicians justifying their current position, rather than the drugs lobby justifying legalising X substance.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

What proof is there that this is even remotely true? PROTIP: don't use the Daily Mail as a source here if you value any semblance of credibility!

And even if it is - it's an incredibly weak argument that adults, who are capable of making decisions for themselves *might* end up taking harder drugs that *might* cause some harm to themselves if weed gets legalised.

I don't get this leap of logic (using the term loosely) that legalising marijuana will magically create millions of heroin-addicted crack fiends that snort cocaine every five seconds overnight.

It's a slippery slope fallacy.