Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only thing more tedious than people smoking weed, is people banging on about smoking weed when they clearly have never taken anything more powerful than a dose of night nurse.

It should be treated like tobacco or alcohol and taxed to the hilt. If some wee fud wants to sit on their sofa all day smoking then I'd rather not have to pay for the prison bill when they get caught.

Got there before me, well, kinda. I was going to say we shouldn't legalise it because all they'll do is tax it. :P

If some junkie wants to get high on it then they should be allowed. Its their choice what they want to do with their life

0.jpg

Not a fan tbh, but it should be legalised. There's definitely a stigma that surrounds it which will prevent legalisation from happening for a long time until attitudes change. I think the reason the Americans have a more liberal approach is that it's a lot more common over there and as a result people are more used to it.

I dont know the figure but I imagine that there are a fair chunk of people in the UK who smoke it. Therefore any politician campaigning for it would be in for a vote windfall, and once the topic is out for debate it seems certain that people would support legalisation. Even by taking the first step towards decriminalisation (for which I absolutely certain people would support with full access to the facts), that wouldn't be political suicide I don't think and again they would gain a lot of votes.

They could even argue that it would tackle our much bigger alcohol problem, I mean if half the pissheads just got baked instead then you solve loads of 3am weekend bother.

It really is odd that this massive political football is just kept in the garage in our country.

Crystal Meth?

That is for another thread, I don't want this to go down the legalise everything route because it is far less realistic and is more extreme so distorts the debate. I want to specifically talk about why weed in particular isn't decriminalised/legalised, a lot of other places have done this so it is not uber controversial and precedents have been set.

Crystal Meth?

Why should that be kept illegal?

That is for another thread, I don't want this to go down the legalise everything route because it is far less realistic and is more extreme so distorts the debate. I want to specifically talk about why weed in particular isn't decriminalised/legalised, a lot of other places have done this so it is not uber controversial and precedents have been set.

To be fair, anyone who thinks the current war on drugs is permissible in any sense will soon enough flee this thread with their tail between their legs.

They could even argue that it would tackle our much bigger alcohol problem, I mean if half the pissheads just got baked instead then you solve loads of 3am weekend bother.

Reckon all the big drinks companies would lobby against weed legalisation for this reason. Know plenty people who used to get wasted and go out at the weekends but now just sit in because they've founds smoking.

What was the reason for it being banned in the first place?

Some paper magnate in the US did it to destroy hemp competition.

Or something like that. Either way the UK followed Nixons war on drugs like a lil bitch.

I wish they'd legalize it so you'd have some idea of what you're smoking. As a very irregular indulger these days, I get annoyed about the lack of quality control. So called skunk can vary between a mild buzz and being hit on the head with a sledgehammer laced with valium. Hate to sound like someone out of Dad's Army, but in the olden days, when everything had to be smuggled in, you used to have a fair idea of what you were buying. You could tell where it came from by the colour and texture, and therefore how fucked up you'd be, and how. These days its a lottery, unless probably if you have a reliable dealer, which I don't.

Some paper magnate in the US did it to destroy hemp competition.

Or something like that. Either way the UK followed Nixons war on drugs like a lil bitch.

Maybe he's scared he accidentally goes into the crystal meth shop and buys some?

He seems to be displaying a lack of self control and moral fibre and wants to project his own inadequacies onto the entire population by banning things he doesnt agree with.

To be fair, anyone who thinks the current war on drugs is permissible in any sense will soon enough flee this thread with their tail between their legs.

I realise that but I was more interested in why people think it is not an issue in the UK specifically, when even two US States have legalised it and a fair few others have medical maijuana, rather than why in they should all be legal. That will lead to a different theoretical discussion, I'm wanting a more practical political one about only marijuana. :)