Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, johnnydun said:

That is because you reek yourself.

Not at all. 

Not only is it for wasters, there's harmful effects of smoking weed, mental and physical. There's no benefit to smoking it whatsoever.

You want it illegal because "wasters do it and it harms people"? 

It's got no perceived benefit to someone like you, to others it might help them get through their day. And you accept there's a medicinal aspect with weed, so you're contradicting yourself a bit. I just find it odd how much hate gets thrown the way of people who largely cause no problems in society, and how much other people don't want them to enjoy themselves.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What about pleasure and enjoyment?

If that's all you're taking it for, why not move on to Smack?

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You want it illegal because "wasters do it and it harms people"? 

It's got no perceived benefit to someone like you, to others it might help them get through their day. And you accept there's a medicinal aspect with weed, so you're contradicting yourself a bit. I just find it odd how much hate gets thrown the way of people who largely cause no problems in society, and how much other people don't want them to enjoy themselves.

If you need it to get through a day then you are addicted and require medical help, at the tax payers expense.

I'm all for folk enjoying themselves but when it comes with (as you say) addiction, depression and paranoia, I'm not.

I am an advocate of the 'depression thread' so for me to say smoking dope is a good thing would be hypocritical.

Edited by johnnydun

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Eh? What do you think about dancing on a Sunday?  Does it lead to dogging?

Not at all, but, like you say, if you are just taking things for enjoyment without caring about the consequences, why not go the whole hog?

Edited by johnnydun

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

If you need it to get through a day then you are addicted and require medical help, at the tax payers expenses.

I'm all for folk enjoying themselves but when it comes with (as you say) addiction, depression and paranoia, I'm not.

I am an advocate the 'depression thread' so for me to say smoking dope is a good thing would be hypocritical.

It's not about "needing" it to get through a day, we all do stuff that make us happy or that makes life a bit more enjoyable. 

The "medical treatment at the tax payers expense" is a great argument for legalising it. Have a look at how much tax it generates where it's legal, surely having that tax available to treat these problems is preferable to what we have now? Not to mention with regulation the strength gets controlled, which in turn will help with addiction.

I'd imagine the link between cannabis use and depression and alcohol use and depression won't be too far apart. Are you also an advocate of banning alcohol, so as to not seem like a hypocrite in the depression thread?

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not about "needing" it to get through a day

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

it might help them get through their day

So which one is it?

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The "medical treatment at the tax payers expense" is a great argument for legalising it.

Ok, if that's your thought process, what stimulant do you stop at? 

I'm sure we could tax the f**k out of Crack and Smack to pay for the problems they create? No?

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd imagine the link between cannabis use and depression and alcohol use and depression won't be too far apart. Are you also an advocate of banning alcohol, so as to not seem like a hypocrite in the depression thread?

No, I'm not for the banning of Alcohol but to make more (as in quantity) harmful substances legal because it's ok for one, is a nonsensical argument. I also don't drink.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Or you could just make it legal and let us sit in our own wee cafes away from the rest of you absolute wet wipes.

You'll be fine when you move to Nelson, they grow it in the hills there. 

Alcohol abuse can have the same side effects you’ve mentioned there though.

I’m struggling with why you’re so vehemently against weed tbh. You’ve hardly made a compelling case by only talking the extreme ends and as-if everyone who uses it is a heavy user with all the various side effects?

Everything in moderation, no?

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

So which one is it?

Ok, if that's your thought process, what stimulant do you stop at? 

I'm sure we could tax the f**k out of Crack and Smack to pay for the problems they create? No?

No, I'm not for the banning of Alcohol but to make more (as in quantity) harmful substances legal because it's ok for one, is a nonsensical argument. I also don't drink.

Something that helps you through a day isn't necessarily a need, more of an aide.

Yes, actually I would, I get that opinion is seen as radical and probably not popular though. You seem quick to compare weed to smack though, the two drugs aren't even remotely comparable.

No that's literally how we should deal with harmful substances - assess the risk and put the necessary controls in place. Right now the controls in place for cannabis are far too strict for the risk it poses. Its nonsensical to say "we've got enough things that can harm you so we've arbitrarily chosen these select few that you can put in yourself".

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Alcohol abuse can have the same side effects you’ve mentioned there though.

I’m struggling with why you’re so vehemently against weed tbh. You’ve hardly made a compelling case by only talking the extreme ends and as-if everyone who uses it is a heavy user with all the various side effects?

Everything in moderation, no?

Yes absolutely everything in moderation, but why take that risk trusting that, that's what folk will do when it's really not necessary?

Cause let's face it, like alcohol, they won't.

Yes, actually I would, I get that opinion is seen as radical and probably not popular though. You seem quick to compare weed to smack though, the two drugs aren't even remotely comparable.

I'm not comparing, I'm just saying how far do you go and that if you (not you personally) are only taking them to get high without any care about the consequences, why not go the whole hog? Saying you would decriminalize all drugs is ridiculous.

Right now the controls in place for cannabis are far too strict for the risk it poses.

Are they though? 

We just have a different opinion on this one mate.

Weed should absolutely be legalised in my opinion. In fact, I'd be all for legalising/decriminalisation all drugs assuming the correct level of checks and balances were in place according to the potential to cause harm. 

It's a subject I've done a lot of reading on.

If anyone is interested, Neil Woods (ex undercover cop) books are worth a read. His views have played a part in turning my point of view around. 

If you can put up with Lovejoy, this is a decent view/listen:

21 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I'm not comparing, I'm just saying how far do you go and that if you (not you personally) are only taking them to get high without any care about the consequences, why not go the whole hog? Saying you would decriminalize all drugs is ridiculous.

Are they though? 

We just have a different opinion on this one mate.

Aye, I guess we'll leave it there but I would say look into decriminalisation before rubbishing it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

BUMP.

never really got involved in this thread before but stumbled across it.  Anyone's viewpoint on this changed?  Obviously in the last 10 years 'Murica have passed bills and various states have varying degrees of tolerance on this now, I think its 21 states its legal for recreational now (?).

Malta having also fully legalized recreational use, Germany starting the process for legalizing possession of small amounts, this would push out Germanys cannabis black market and could increase annual tax revenues, create 27,000 new jobs, and generate cost savings of about $4.7 billion, (Reuters).

Spain having decriminalized it for personal use, growing and smoking in your own home while still illegal to sell or traffic it.

Are we still stuck in the dark days? seeing the world move on and accept this plant for what it is, while we still categorize it as a Class B drug alongside Ketamine and Speed.

Any tokers on here? former smokers who had to give it up? medicinal users?

discuss.