Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say it was more common in the 70s, but maybe that was just me and the people I was with. There was certainly a better choice and from all over the world.
I think there's just as much selection now, more in fact IMO. I wasn't about in the 70's but I know guys that conduct small growing "crops" themselves (usually 6 plants at a time) and they're in contact with a few other boys and they all try and grow different strains and hybrids so every 12 weeks there is potentially 16-20 different strains available within easy reach of me.
The real noticeable difference for me is how much harder it is to get decent Hash.

On 10/03/2019 at 09:30, pandarilla said:

Is he wrong? And if so, show me.

I don't know if there's been a rise in homicidal violence over the past 20 or so years, and I'm not sure if there's another factor that can be attributed.

What I do know is that both hitchens brothers are (were) incredibly intelligent men who rarely put forward a weak argument.

I haven't read Hitchens article as I'll be fucked if I'm giving the Mail clicks, so could you summarise what he's saying?  Is he asserting that stoned people are more likely to go out and get stabby (with this being supported by the stats) or is he attributing a lot of the deaths to gangs fighting over turf etc?

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I haven't read Hitchens article as I'll be fucked if I'm giving the Mail clicks, so could you summarise what he's saying?  Is he asserting that stoned people are more likely to go out and get stabby (with this being supported by the stats) or is he attributing a lot of the deaths to gangs fighting over turf etc?

"

There is a very good reason why people generally don’t stab each other. Normal, sane humans recoil from the very idea of plunging a sharp blade into a fellow creature, let alone driving it so deep that it is bound to kill.

The crime has been rare because nobody wanted to commit it. Yet now we have a significant minority who do not recoil. So what has changed?"

"And almost all of those who go out and kill someone with a blade will turn out, once the investigation is over, to be a long-term user of marijuana, no longer wholly sane or wholly civilised. Its widespread use is the only significant social change in this country that correlates with the rise in homicidal violence"

Edited by Tommy Nooka

1 hour ago, Tommy Nooka said:

"

There is a very good reason why people generally don’t stab each other. Normal, sane humans recoil from the very idea of plunging a sharp blade into a fellow creature, let alone driving it so deep that it is bound to kill.

The crime has been rare because nobody wanted to commit it. Yet now we have a significant minority who do not recoil. So what has changed?"

"And almost all of those who go out and kill someone with a blade will turn out, once the investigation is over, to be a long-term user of marijuana, no longer wholly sane or wholly civilised. Its widespread use is the only significant social change in this country that correlates with the rise in homicidal violence"

Understand that's only a snapshot but its ridiculous to point at cannabis as the cause in the way he has in that last paragraph. I'd also like some figures on the claim that "almost all" murderers smoke cannabis. A list of other things that each of these murderers do will also be handy, for example, do "almost all" of them drink alcohol? 

There's absolutely nothing about taking cannabis that makes people violent. To link it to violence because a couple of graphs look similar is an extremely lazy and weak argument.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If I was self-medicating a high-potency drug in general, never mind being mentally ill in the first place, then of course I'd expect it to be a risk in effecting my mental illness.

In countries that have a higher rate of marijuana use, the rate of schizophrenia is the same as in countries with lower rates of marijuana use. It doesn't cause schizophrenia but if you have a latent psychosis marijuana can trigger it. If you don't have schizophrenia you're not going to get one from marijuana. Self medicating like he may have done hasn't even been taken into account here.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

• 5 months later...

Bought weed for the first time legally yesterday. The store is on Queen St, a major street through Toronto, the windows of the shop are covered, I presume so under 19s can't see whats inside, a little ironic considering a lot of the Province run liquor stores here actually have windows displays. I showed my ID to the security guard at the front door and was shown in to a bright, clean shop, asked at the front desk if I wanted to make an express  order or go to the sales floors and look around. I made an express order, they didn't have the strain I was looking for in stock but talked me through alternatives. Then I placed my order for 2 grams (big spender I know!), had my name taken for the order and headed to the back of the store to pay by debit card. Given to two 1 gram pots which I took home in my lunch bag on the subway without even thinking about it. 

Overall a quick, convenient and safe experience. If they can do it so well in little Canada I'm sure they could easily do it in the UK. 

Screenshot_20190823-093515_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190823-093830_Gallery.jpg

Making policy to lock up black people is a failure in itself. It might not be a failure to those who want blacks locked up, but to anyone with a brain cell it's been a complete failure.

Like many things in the US, monetisation, corporate power and rising inequality have eroded the social utility of many activities. This extends into the correctional system where private jails, catering, security, bondsmen etc. make it an incredibly lucrative industry. Factor in the “Three Strike” rule, a president such as Trump and his business ties and the politicisation of the industry .......can’t see much changing whilst he holds the reins........

Bought weed for the first time legally yesterday. The store is on Queen St, a major street through Toronto, the windows of the shop are covered, I presume so under 19s can't see whats inside, a little ironic considering a lot of the Province run liquor stores here actually have windows displays. I showed my ID to the security guard at the front door and was shown in to a bright, clean shop, asked at the front desk if I wanted to make an express  order or go to the sales floors and look around. I made an express order, they didn't have the strain I was looking for in stock but talked me through alternatives. Then I placed my order for 2 grams (big spender I know!), had my name taken for the order and headed to the back of the store to pay by debit card. Given to two 1 gram pots which I took home in my lunch bag on the subway without even thinking about it. 

Overall a quick, convenient and safe experience. If they can do it so well in little Canada I'm sure they could easily do it in the UK. 

Screenshot_20190823-093515_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0b4ca00d09a7a654cb9da42b8f92c36d.jpg

Screenshot_20190823-093830_Gallery.thumb.jpg.904983e3705a34f88d4560b308d2dda9.jpg

I won’t even pretend that I’m not insanely jealous that you even have the option to do the above...[emoji52]

How much was your 2g, just for comparison to current illegal UK rates?

Does all weed smell so fucking minging? I smoked a little in my younger years but avoid it now. When it comes off someone else it's utterly mink

It smells fucking magic. Change your pants more often man, they’re obviously blighting your nostrils.

When you say you smoked a little in your younger years do you mean hash, or actual sweet pungent green goodness?

It smells fucking magic. Change your pants more often man, they’re obviously blighting your nostrils.

When you say you smoked a little in your younger years do you mean hash, or actual sweet pungent green goodness?
I'm no expert at all, it was all my friend's stuff. Nah, people that reek of it are stinking AF.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

I won’t even pretend that I’m not insanely jealous that you even have the option to do the above...emoji52.png

How much was your 2g, just for comparison to current illegal UK rates?

$27.10 13% of which was taxes, so around 16/17 pound I believe. My wife told me that seems a little expensive.

The city of Toronto currently has five legal weed stores. On Wednesday the Provincial government had a lottery and 42 business owners were chosen from 4,874 applications for the right to submit documents to open a legal weed store, 13 of the 42 are for locations in Toronto so hopefully a little more competition will lower the prices

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It smells rank, especially when it's second hand on some minks clothing. f**k off and sit somewhere else you smelly c**t.

Absolutely this. There's a boy in work who always reeks of it and it's fucking minging. To combat this, I think he threw some in a belt or something in the machine he works on so that part of the shop floor just stinks of weed constantly. Horrible. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It smells rank, especially when it's second hand on some minks clothing. f**k off and sit somewhere else you smelly c**t.

^^

This even the smell gives me the boke. It even makes stale cigarette smoke desirable.