Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The cretin Peter Hitchens has outdone himself this time, weed is now responsible for the recent spate of stabbings.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6791067/PETER-HITCHENS-real-cause-knife-crime-hidden-fog-cannabis-smoke.html

" Its widespread use is the only significant social change in this country that correlates with the rise in homicidal violence"

That is unfortunately what you have to contend with before we can get anywhere near legalisation in this country. 

The cretin Peter Hitchens has outdone himself this time, weed is now responsible for the recent spate of stabbings.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6791067/PETER-HITCHENS-real-cause-knife-crime-hidden-fog-cannabis-smoke.html
" Its widespread use is the only significant social change in this country that correlates with the rise in homicidal violence"
That is unfortunately what you have to contend with before we can get anywhere near legalisation in this country. 
Is he wrong? And if so, show me.

I don't know if there's been a rise in homicidal violence over the past 20 or so years, and I'm not sure if there's another factor that can be attributed.

What I do know is that both hitchens brothers are (were) incredibly intelligent men who rarely put forward a weak argument.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is he wrong? And if so, show me.

I don't know if there's been a rise in homicidal violence over the past 20 or so years, and I'm not sure if there's another factor that can be attributed.

What I do know is that both hitchens brothers are (were) incredibly intelligent men who rarely put forward a weak argument.

I suppose weed could also be responsible for Muslim extremism,  razor gangs, Ted Bundy, Kid'n'Play and both world wars......you may have a point! 

Oof, imagine admiring Peter Hitchens? :1eye

I suppose weed could also be responsible for Muslim extremism,  razor gangs, Ted Bundy, Kid'n'Play and both world wars......you may have a point! 
Oof, imagine admiring Peter Hitchens? :1eye
So you've failed to tackle either of his points, and instead had a personal dig. Interesting approach.

The examples you mentioned are farcical, but you already knew that.

53 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Talking about "this country" in a national newspaper when in fact he means England

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So you've failed to tackle either of his points, and instead had a personal dig. Interesting approach.

The examples you mentioned are farcical, but you already knew that.

Almost as farcical as blaming current societal problems on a drug that has been around for hundreds of years?

As farcical as ignoring the countries where weed has been legalised that haven't descended into anarchy?

There's way too much to actually go into but an open mind helps when debating weed which Hitchens and his ilk are sadly lacking.

Just now, Adam101 said:

Talking about "this country" in a national newspaper when in fact he means England

There's no way UK government would allow Scotland to legalise on its own. We also have more than our fair share of dinosaurs in this country too unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Tommy Nooka said:

There's no way UK government would allow Scotland to legalise on its own. We also have more than our fair share of dinosaurs in this country too unfortunately.

You're right, considering they won't let heroin users take drugs with clean needles in a safe place then there won't be any change for a while

Almost as farcical as blaming current societal problems on a drug that has been around for hundreds of years?
As farcical as ignoring the countries where weed has been legalised that haven't descended into anarchy?
There's way too much to actually go into but an open mind helps when debating weed which Hitchens and his ilk are sadly lacking.
Would you accept that cannabis use has increased significantly in Britain in the last twenty years?

Knife crime in Scotland has reduced significantly in recent years, I remember when Glasgow was given the title 'Murder Capital of Europe'.
Is this reduction in knife crime synonymous with a reduction in cannabis consumption?
I think it may have more to do with the Scottish government investing millions on initiatives like No Knives Better Lives and excellent charities like Medics Against Violence.

Knife crime in Scotland has reduced significantly in recent years, I remember when Glasgow was given the title 'Murder Capital of Europe'.
Is this reduction in knife crime synonymous with a reduction in cannabis consumption?
I think it may have more to do with the Scottish government investing millions on initiatives like No Knives Better Lives and excellent charities like Medics Against Violence.
The initiatives relating to young people and gangs has been a great success in Scotland, but is that the odd one out in terms of British cities?

I genuinely don't know how much of a rise there's been, and how much is media hype.

The initiatives relating to young people and gangs has been a great success in Scotland, but is that the odd one out in terms of British cities?

I genuinely don't know how much of a rise there's been, and how much is media hype.
I don't know about the wider British context either, Glasgow does seem to be the odd one out in the respect that serious money has been invested to tackle the issue through education. This is perhaps a model that London should be following.

Would you accept that cannabis use has increased significantly in Britain in the last twenty years?
I'd say it was more common in the 70s, but maybe that was just me and the people I was with. There was certainly a better choice and from all over the world.

1 hour ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Where is the  'Murder Capital of Europe' these days?

I remember the BBC consistently banging on about it being Glasgow previously, but now seem strangely quiet on the subject.

Where is the  'Murder Capital of Europe' these days?
I remember the BBC consistently banging on about it being Glasgow previously, but now seem strangely quiet on the subject.
Probably London, although, Amsterdam might be in with a shout, I've heard lots of weed smoking goes on there.