Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Torpar said:

So you didn't grow up in Ontario? 

For years on April 20th they have had the Weed March here called for the legalisation of Cannabis, this year they marched because the Ontario government wants to regulate and control the sale of it, the same as they do with the sale of alcohol. No pleasing some people. I also don't mind the smell of it, my missus smokes it on our balcony almost every day. But I really don't want to be on the subway at 8 am with someone reeking of it, much the same as someone reeking of booze or fags

No, I grew up in Quebec!  I have to remember not to call it the Depanneur when speaking to people who aren't from Quebec lol

It’s a very nuanced argument, from both sides.
Yes, there are risks to allowing legality (possible increased accessibility for people who wouldn’t have the desire to seek out a dealer, or are scared of breaking the law), for me, the risks associated with illegality are far greater. No control of strength, possible gateway to harder drugs etc.
I’ve not smoked it for around 20 years, other than a couple of slip ups when trying to ease the come down from class A’s.
Overall, I’d like it to be regulated and taxed and available to a wider section of the population as I’m part owner of a 24hr garage & have shares in Dorito & Cadbury.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Society is here to protect people but if you want to smoke weed then go and find yourself a criminal dealer and buy some weed of a random strength and quantity? You can't protect people from weed if you have no control over it. Doesn't education have a part to play here too?

Drug abuse such as alcohol abuse?  Good point. Remind me, what is we do with alcohol in this country? Regulate it, tax it and sell it to those who are happy to drink responsibly, whilst having laws for those who drink irresponsibly? 

Prohibition didn't work for alcohol and it doesn't work for weed. If you want to keep weed illegal then you've got to accept that alcohol and tobacco should also be illegal. 

I just think the greater good is that it keeps an illegal stigma which deters a number of kids.

How many?  Who knows.  I would be willing to change my view if the pro-legal lobby put much evidence and seemed to care much about that aspect.

Until i see evidence otherwise, I would rather gain the above than protect the person who knowingly buys illegal substances.

re. alcohol.  Yeah, i don't disagree but you can't win all the battles.  Society decides what it's willing to accept.  if we have alcohol why not cannibas.  

Listen i've taken drugs, mdma, marijuana etc.  But i think the stigma is important.  I have never bought any of these things myself but only via a trusted friend.  I like that there isn't a shop i can just buy from easily which leads to the point above.  That's just the personal.

in my parent's city, barcelona you can become a member of a marijuana club.  It does work in some ways; but i've seen plenty people get enveloped by it.  

I'm not a zealot on this but this is my view.

Edited by tirso

33 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The only reason this would be getting looked at to be legalised is that its another way of raising taxes from the poorer in society, who are going to be the most likely to smoke it regularly.

We also need to take into account the mental health conditions like paranoia, depression etc that come with taking cannabis as well as the conditions that are associated with smoking. 

I am all for making availible to treat current conditions, however I am not for legalising it for all.

The taxes raised from legal weed would cover the cost of that treatment and more.

3 minutes ago, tirso said:

I just think the greater good is that it keeps an illegal stigma which deters a number of kids.

How many?  Who knows.  I would be willing to change my view if the pro-legal lobby put much evidence and seemed to care much about that aspect.

Until i see evidence otherwise, I would rather gain the above than protect the person who knowingly buys illegal substances.

Have you looked at any available evidence from the states which have legalised it so far?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Have you looked at any available evidence from the states which have legalised it so far?

on how many children were attracted into it vs deterred previously?

No i would like to.  But more importantly i'd rather that was the basis of the decision than making current users lives easier or how much money it would raise.  Which seems to be lacking in my view.

1 minute ago, tirso said:

on how many children were attracted into it vs deterred previously?

No i would like to.  But more importantly i'd rather that was the basis of the decision than making current users lives easier or how much money it would raise.  Which seems to be lacking in my view.

Google is your friend - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/10/13/heres-how-legal-pot-changed-colorado-and-washington/

4 minutes ago, tirso said:

reality:

more paranoid people

crap mental health care

more money in the big black hole

"More people paranoid" any evidence for that claim? This assumption that everyone goes straight to the weed shop as soon as it's legal is preposterous. Would you go and buy an ounce of it was legal?

"Crap mental health care" is not the fault of a plant that grows out the ground and is certainly not a reason for keeping it illegal.

"More money in a black hole" if you consider millions of pounds in taxes going to the government  ($220 million in Washington's case) a black hole then fair enough, doesn't mean it can't be used for good in the right hands.

Uppers is a colloquial term for party drugs. Everybody knows what someone who says ‘uppers’ means, and it isn’t cannabis.  Nobody cares what sort of high you or one of your shit flinging friends get when you smoke weed. 
Thanks. 

[emoji1]

There’s nothing colloquial about it ya slavering drip! Nobody, anywhere, ever has said “get the uppers out” and I would expect anyone who did would be laughed at.

So which wet-wipe previously punted poster are you then?

Urban dictionary is literally a dictionary for colloquial terms m7. 

Ok thanks I’ll keep that in mind for when everybody has forgot what ching is and I need to start using colloquialisms with my dealer and being more colloquial with my friends.

“Hey man you got 2 gram of uppers?”

“Come round at 8. We’ll have some beers and a few lines of uppers before we go out”.

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Google is your friend - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/10/13/heres-how-legal-pot-changed-colorado-and-washington/

"More people paranoid" any evidence for that claim? This assumption that everyone goes straight to the weed shop as soon as it's legal is preposterous. Would you go and buy an ounce of it was legal?

"Crap mental health care" is not the fault of a plant that grows out the ground and is certainly not a reason for keeping it illegal.

"More money in a black hole" if you consider millions of pounds in taxes going to the government  ($220 million in Washington's case) a black hole then fair enough, doesn't mean it can't be used for good in the right hands.

Opponents of legalization often point out that one highly regarded federal surveyon drug use shows that Colorado is No. 1 in the nation when it comes to teen marijuana use. But experts say that the trend in that survey was in place long before Colorado voters legalized marijuana.

They're starting from a different cultural baseline than we are.  Baked state sees little difference.

It's also from the DPA who advocate decriminilisation so they have a stake.

I just think keep it illegal and turn a blind eye.  I wouldn't prioritise it in criminal prosecutions.  It's not great but it strikes the best available balance needed, in my view.

I would be interested to see how it would go by decriminalizing and I probably would occasionally buy.   However horse has bolted by that time.  Not sure the benefit to the users trumps the negatives. 

re. quality of mental health care is not directly related to amount of money spent.  Although, there's not enough as it is never mind adding more people to the list.  By the way, come on obviously any widening of access would create more abusers.  we don't need google for that.

Edited by tirso

30 minutes ago, tirso said:

Opponents of legalization often point out that one highly regarded federal surveyon drug use shows that Colorado is No. 1 in the nation when it comes to teen marijuana use. But experts say that the trend in that survey was in place long before Colorado voters legalized marijuana.

They're starting from a different cultural baseline than we are.  Baked state sees little difference.

It's also from the DPA who advocate decriminilisation so they have a stake.

I just think keep it illegal and turn a blind eye.  I wouldn't prioritise it in criminal prosecutions.  It's not great but it strikes the best available balance needed, in my view.

I would be interested to see how it would go by decriminalizing and I probably would occasionally buy.   However horse has bolted by that time.  Not sure the benefit to the users trumps the negatives. 

re. quality of mental health care is not directly related to amount of money spent.  Although, there's not enough as it is never mind adding more people to the list.  By the way, come on obviously any widening of access would create more abusers.  we don't need google for that.

Would you buy it purely because it was legal or because the use of it interests you?

Those who want to try weed will generally end up trying weed. Those who don't will keep to themselves or refuse it when offered. I gave you a link which suggests that more widespread use is inaccurate (or at the very least, minimal) but you've rubbished that based on their "cultural baseline". If you don't want to actually look at the effects of it and instead go on your "gut feeling" of everyone becoming a stoner the day it goes legal then I'm afraid it's not my job to inform you.

Not all users are "abusers" either. Not everyone who smokes weed becomes a paranoid mess and needs day by day care on the NHS. It's painted as if stoners are causing a massive strain on mental health services, alcohol probably has more of an effect there.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Would you buy it purely because it was legal or because the use of it interests you?

because it would be more easily available.  yeah i'd buy because it interests me.  both.

Those who want to try weed will generally end up trying weed. Those who don't will keep to themselves or refuse it when offered.

I think more people would use it if it was legal. 

I gave you a link which suggests that more widespread use is inaccurate (or at the very least, minimal) but you've rubbished that based on their "cultural baseline". If you don't want to actually look at the effects of it and instead go on your "gut feeling" of everyone becoming a stoner the day it goes legal then I'm afraid it's not my job to inform you.

it's not my gut feeling.  The report you linked to states Colorado is and had been for many years already the number one state for use before legalisation.  You don't think that has limitations ?  The research also was financed by a pro-legalisation group.

I will look more into it though, cheers.  Maybe there wouldn't be a material increase, at this moment i'm not convinced is all. 

I do not believe everyone will become a stoner.  I'm simply not sure the increase in numbers is worth the risk.  

Edited by tirso