Commonwealth Games 2014

mrcat1990

I hope they do a better job job advertising the delays than they did today bearing in mind there looked like less than 20,000 in Hampden. There was no warning on the tickets and nothing on the British Athletics website.

The bag searches were variable to say the least, one woman in front of us had a sealed box in her bag which she said contained a Rennie Mackintosh mirror, the policewoman started to try and open the box but couldn't manage it wearing gloves so gave up half way through and put the box back in the bag. Either do it right or don't do it all. Also don't take an umbrella on a rainy day they're banned.

Not sure how it was done for this event but certainly for the Games they've been pretty clear in the ticket pouches how early folk need to arrive and what they should/shouldn't take with them.

Who the f**k takes a Rennie Mackintosh mirror with them to an athletics meet anyway??

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went to the Olympic football doubleheader at Hampden - which included Spain - the securitycheck was troublesome but not lengthy. Particularly as they'd forgotten to make provision for tickets in the South Upper, so had to cope with that oversight. Is it going to be worse again for the Commonwealths? Overkill.

Down at London 2012 myself and some friends went to the Beach Volleyball, on what turned out to be the evening of 'Super Saturday'. I'd been in London since the Friday but one of the others had come down that afternoon, and still had his rucksack. Going through scanning at Horse Guards he got stopped as he had a lot of unmarked boxes in brown paper on him. Inside they were done with silver foil wrapping paper, which stopped the X-ray machine. Turned-out, after they broke them open, they were presents of biscuits/whisky/etc from his mum to the relatives he was staying with... but seriously, the stupidity!!

The more I hear it seems the whole games are being run in a very police state manner, It was probably naive of me but I genially thought going to events would be no more complicated than going to a football match, I can't understand why you need to have so much more control of people going to watch athletics for example where the crowd are going to be more mixed, more likely to be sober and significantly less likely to have rival factions than a football crowd.

Also, and I know this is a late request, please, please don't have any false attempts to create an atmosphere, this goes to both organisers and weirdos that call themselves "fun" attempting to start yet another Mexican wave.

Going to Hampden for a very busy football game is a piece of piss. Getting into Hampden on Friday was a total fucking pain. Had to walk from one end to the other, then back again to get to my seat basically. Also when trying to leave and find a shortcut the G4S staff and Athletics staff clearly hadn't communicated as they kept telling me different ways to get out. This led to me going from gate to exit being told "naw mate no can't exit here" after being told two seconds before by someone else to go that fucking way.

Looking forward to them. I'm working as part of the TV crew for the badminton which should be an incredible experience, even though I don't have a huge passion for the sports itself. All about getting those contacts, yo.

Is there going to be a subforum?

I've got two tickets for the Opening Ceremony Dress Rehearsal that I definitely won't be using. Not sure if anyone would want them but if anyone does say so tonight and I'll post them first class tomorrow. Saturday at 8pm, Celtic Park (gates open 5:30pm).

The dress rehearsal for London 2012 was pretty good.

Opening Ceremony......???

Whit a load o pish :lol:

The rest o it??? Just as pish I'm guessing. Blasted at you from every direction by the Beeb. They can't afford proper sport.

If only there was a single thread to discus the opening ceremony.

If only you had something better to do eh???

Get a life.

If only there was a single thread to discus the opening ceremony.

If only you had something better to do eh???

Get a life.

That's you telt. I mean, how dare you comment on a televised show watched by a seventh of the global population...

Archived