Darren Fletcher

Would love Martinez to take him for a few months at Wigan and get games and fitness back.Plus they are in Europe to another plus point,a good level to get back into the running for things at United and for us with Alba

Martinez is at Everton now remember.

Coyle is at Wigan and should definitely be interested. Good shout

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked really good in the u21s match the other night. Not his normal role of breaking up play but more the scholes role picking passes. Probably not overdoing it which is a good thing.

In the 5 mins of highlights dedicated to fletch he never missed a pass and some of them were sublime first time passes. Fair enough he wasn't under great pressure but its good to see his skills are still there.

• 5 weeks later...

just reading the link about Owen Hargreaves on that google search. Interesting an good point about rushing a player back too soon. I'd expect he might get a game or two at the tail end of this season - unless Man U are in a must-win position.

The key thing would be having him back fully fit by next September. Setting out on a campaign with him would be a fine thing.

Good to see that he got another 90 minutes under his belt. I would like to see a return to the first team just either side of new year hopefully.

Really? I'd wait until he's playing regular first team football.

I'd love that, but I think he's got a good few months of build up at least.

Moyes is desperately needing him back in, I reckon he'll get a good run of games in. Would like to see him included in the squads for the friendlies in March, even if he doesn't feature, just to have him back in the squad training.

Moyes is desperately needing him back in, I reckon he'll get a good run of games in. Would like to see him included in the squads for the friendlies in March, even if he doesn't feature, just to have him back in the squad training.

I wouldn't because it would mean somebody who is working hard and playing first team football is shunted out for a player who may never be as good as he once was. We're good enough in midfield and getting in the squad should be competitive.

just reading the link about Owen Hargreaves on that google search. Interesting an good point about rushing a player back too soon. I'd expect he might get a game or two at the tail end of this season - unless Man U are in a must-win position.

The key thing would be having him back fully fit by next September. Setting out on a campaign with him would be a fine thing.

Hargreaves had all the time in the world plus the best doctors/surgeons around. He still had every excuse why he wasn't ready to come back. Ultimately, it was because he was finished not long after the 2008 Champions League win and he refused to admit it. He was never going to make a full recovery with those knees. Fletcher hasn't even been out a full year yet. He's coming back at the right speed for his issues. I'd love to see him on the bench for the 1st team soon.

Hargreaves had all the time in the world plus the best doctors/surgeons around. He still had every excuse why he wasn't ready to come back. Ultimately, it was because he was finished not long after the 2008 Champions League win and he refused to admit it. He was never going to make a full recovery with those knees. Fletcher hasn't even been out a full year yet. He's coming back at the right speed for his issues. I'd love to see him on the bench for the 1st team soon.

is it not just under 2 years?

I wouldn't because it would mean somebody who is working hard and playing first team football is shunted out for a player who may never be as good as he once was. We're good enough in midfield and getting in the squad should be competitive.

I think having Fletcher come along with the squad, even if he's not fit to play, would be a good thing. Don't need to name him as a player, I'm sure we've done it in the past where he's there as assistance for the coaches or something? He's a captain and I'm sure has great respect from the other players and will have a good influence on the team morale.

There's always the danger that he gets brought back too early. He's clearly a guy who given the chance will play, no matter what, as we saw when he played at the tail end of our Euro 2012 campaign. You wouldn't want him to come back, play a couple of games, then realise he's pushed it too hard.

I would agree with Moonster though, I would bring him along with the squad if he wants to be involved. If the worst does happen and he has to retire, then it may be a route into coaching if he's that way inclined. If he's half fit, I would even go so far as to maybe name him in the squad and have him there. Obviously that would depend on whether we're then kicking out a perfectly good replacement who is fit.

I just hope that he gets back playing, whether that's for Scotland, Man Utd or anyone. It would be a tragedy for the guy if he had to give it up, given how important a player he is for club and country.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived