Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

Have to say I've been impressed with Motherwell this year, it's a shame the team is inevitably going to split up. They would have had a decent chance of reaching the Europa League group stages with Higdon, McFadden, Oojama, Law, Humphrey and Randolph I reckon.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do footballers get shot when they retire, or do they still have another 30 plus years to earn a living like the rest of us?

As disappointing as it is for players to move on, its inevitable. I never grudge a player leaving to make more money, if they do a decent stint for us and we help them get a move on then it works out well for everyone.

As disappointing as it is for players to move on, its inevitable. I never grudge a player leaving to make more money, if they do a decent stint for us and we help them get a move on then it works out well for everyone.

Totally agree with the sentiment - although if someone leaves in the way that Pearson or Slane did for example, it can leave a bad taste even when you understand their reasoning overall. I will never criticise people for the "payrise" aspect but I think it's fair game to disagree with their choice of club on occasion (eg - Law to Rangers) or the stage of their career that they decide to move on (Slane again).

Totally agree with the sentiment - although if someone leaves in the way that Pearson or Slane did for example, it can leave a bad taste even when you understand their reasoning overall. I will never criticise people for the "payrise" aspect but I think it's fair game to disagree with their choice of club on occasion (eg - Law to Rangers) or the stage of their career that they decide to move on (Slane again).

Paul Slane join Kilmarnock pre-contract

DL has stated that Saints are losing at least 5 players but obtaining only 3. This is clearly due to said 3 being relatively major acquisitions.

One certainly is - Michael Higdon on a PCA.

Do footballers get shot when they retire, or do they still have another 30 plus years to earn a living like the rest of us?

They get shot.

DL has stated that Saints are losing at least 5 players but obtaining only 3. This is clearly due to said 3 being relatively major acquisitions.

Cracking signing for St Mirren.

Maybe he has had his budget cut due to the low league finish and the on-going armageddon - 5 decent players out, 3 haddies in? We've got some rejects you can have - one an internationalist with 70-odd caps!

Omar-Daley-Motherwell_2680425.jpg

He does have yellow arms though - not sure how that would work with Black and White....

suuuuuuuure it is...

Great signing for us! Will be a decent option to have when Thommo is suspended.

Welcome back Higgy xox

It was a bit of a surprise when I was told by one of our directors that the big guy is returning, and I hope we're not putting all our eggs in one basket given the prevailing financial climate.

As you say, though, decent cover for God :)

I take both your points and I would no doubt be off in a shot if my line of work allowed such differences in wages.

However it still annoys me that players can show a lack of ambition. Did they become footballers to earn as much money as possible, or was it to become the best player they can and to try and win honours. Now this is obviously me taliking through Claret and Amber glasses but if a club like Motherwell could keep players for a decent lenght of time, who knows what may be achieved. This squad, whilst small has the potential to push Celtic further, hopefully win a cup and perhapsd even do something in Europe.

As it stands though, a successful season for a team like Motherwell cannot be built on as the team is sold off and broken up. Once again Mccall will havbe to rebuild and whilst i don't begrudge anyone an excellent wage, just how much money do players need?

20130514-randolph-shirt-close101-821359_

Randolph officially signs for Birmingham. Best of luck to him, been a pleasure to have a keeper his quality between the sticks for the last few years. Genuinely think he can make the step up to the top level like John Ruddy but he'll have to prove himself in the Championship first. Also don't be surprised if he establishes himself as Ireland number 1 now that he's at a more fashionable club than Motherwell.

20130514-randolph-shirt-close101-821359_

Randolph officially signs for Birmingham. Best of luck to him, been a pleasure to have a keeper his quality between the sticks for the last few years. Genuinely think he can make the step up to the top level like John Ruddy but he'll have to prove himself in the Championship first. Also don't be surprised if he establishes himself as Ireland number 1 now that he's at a more fashionable club than Motherwell.

I wish him all the best - a class act and he's even overtaken Sieb as the best keeper I've seen at 'Well - hope he makes it to the top.

Edited to add - I'm not clear if he'll play at the weekend - anyone seen anything on that?

I wish him all the best - a class act and he's even overtaken Sieb as the best keeper I've seen at 'Well - hope he makes it to the top.

Edited to add - I'm not clear if he'll play at the weekend - anyone seen anything on that?

He should do, he still has a contract until the end of the season.

He should do, he still has a contract until the end of the season.

I realise that - but I wondered if there would be a gentlemen's agreement not to play him - as it seems quite unusual to see him paraded by the new club before he has finished playing for his previous one. The way he was taken off on Sunday just made me wonder.....

I thought it was strange that Hollis wasn't on the bench against County and that we brought the young lad on instead. I don't think Randolph will play Sunday either tbh, it does seems strange to have him paraded about Birmingham before he's actually left Motherwell. McCall also alluded to giving some of the other lads a game against St Johnstone so I think you might see Hollis or Stewart playing.

Archived