Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

McGowan to Motherwell :lol:

FWIW, he's already announced that he'd only sign for St Mirren again if he was staying in Scotland.

Samson looks like he's joining though, unless another SPL team poaches him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGowan to Motherwell :lol:

FWIW, he's already announced that he'd only sign for St Mirren again if he was staying in Scotland.

I think it's just wishful thinking from Motherwell fans, as much as anything. I'd be absolutely delighted if we could sign him, because I think he's a top player. Turns on a sixpence, moves the ball well, but sadly I'm with you in thinking it unlikely. I'd imagine the only concern for teams down south is his size, but I can't see why that'd be a problem for him and not for Law, for example.

The only thing we can really offer him is a couple of European games, and I presume, a bit more cash than St. Mirren. Otherwise, along with the rest of the clubs in Scotland, we're all much of a muchness, really.

I hope the players leaving Fir Park enjoy their big money in the English lower leagues instead of staying at Fir Park and trying to do something memorable.

Would give me a really bitter feeling if Law went to Rangers. Not because I hate Rangers, which I do, but because he's a such a good player and could do so much better.

Very difficult to replace the irreplaceable in Randolph but Samson is a good keeper and will be a good deal for us.

I can't say I know much about Lawson but County fans seem to like him so hopefully he's a good wee signing if it's true.

I'd always remained hopeful Higgy would stay but taking him off early yesterday I think means that's unlikely. All players would leave with my best wishes though, we've been a cracking team to watch this year.

So many players leaving a team on the up it seems,

How much is it worth to make the europa league group stage? i know its seen as hardly worth it for the likes of liverpool etc but it could be enough for you lot to keep some of youre best players on new contracts?

Where's this recent round of Law to Rangers chat coming from, btw? My old boy was absolutely convinced about it last night, I can't see it.

Was wondering the same. I think the chances of Law going to Rangers are tiny, especially as he wants to prove himself down south more than anything. I'd be utterly shocked if he ended up at Ibrox next year. Yet, every week or so there seems to be chat on forums linking him with a move there.

Was wondering the same. I think the chances of Law going to Rangers are tiny, especially as he wants to prove himself down south more than anything. I'd be utterly shocked if he ended up at Ibrox next year. Yet, every week or so there seems to be chat on forums linking him with a move there.

Aye, he's always bashing on at Le Fondre and various other English players that he's pals with about how he wants to do what they're doing. I'd also be shocked if he went there, he was too good for us, so he's far too good for them.

I would be surprised if Law went to Rangers as at the age he is at now, it would be a poor move - a step backwards when he would be able to get similar money down south and be in the shop window for his next move which he would be hoping would be his "big" move I guess. I've always viewed Law's time in Scotland as a one time deal and my guess would be that only Celtic (who have no interest in him obviously) would be able to change that.

On other stuff - I'm actually quite excited about the summer this year - last year it was nerves as I expected a number of our best players to leave, which they thankfully didn't - but I'm really looking forward to see what McCall does. Samson and Lawson would be good IMO as I'd like to see a mix of proven SPL guys and our usual "unknowns" from the English lower leagues. Given the number of replacements that we will likely need, I think it would be a gamble to go entirely for non-Scottish players (Jim Gannon got away with that gamble of course, but the point remains). One thing that interests me is that our budget isn't substantially different from County's or St Mirren's and these guys seem happy to make what is a sideways move to another town club which tells me that Motherwell as a club have now got a reputation as a good place to be and somewhere that will enhance people's career - and that's a testament to the stability the club has.

Looking forward to the last game of the season as I always do - but already looking forward to the first game of next year....

More than anything, I'm glad we're getting our business done early. As much fun as the Gannon season was, with Hateley being signed the day before the opening game, then playing in it, I'd rather we had them in and ready to go immediately. Given that our season starts in a couple of months in Europe, get them in, get us ready to go. Hopefully they're more Higdon than Mensing.

I would be surprised if Law went to Rangers as at the age he is at now, it would be a poor move - a step backwards when he would be able to get similar money down south and be in the shop window for his next move which he would be hoping would be his "big" move I guess. I've always viewed Law's time in Scotland as a one time deal and my guess would be that only Celtic (who have no interest in him obviously) would be able to change that.

On other stuff - I'm actually quite excited about the summer this year - last year it was nerves as I expected a number of our best players to leave, which they thankfully didn't - but I'm really looking forward to see what McCall does. Samson and Lawson would be good IMO as I'd like to see a mix of proven SPL guys and our usual "unknowns" from the English lower leagues. Given the number of replacements that we will likely need, I think it would be a gamble to go entirely for non-Scottish players (Jim Gannon got away with that gamble of course, but the point remains). One thing that interests me is that our budget isn't substantially different from County's or St Mirren's and these guys seem happy to make what is a sideways move to another town club which tells me that Motherwell as a club have now got a reputation as a good place to be and somewhere that will enhance people's career - and that's a testament to the stability the club has.

Looking forward to the last game of the season as I always do - but already looking forward to the first game of next year....

Lawson was utterly gash and looked well out of his depth in the SPL when he was with us. Richard Brittain wasn't great here either.

It's hard to decide whether these guys are actually good players, or just fit into Derek Adams' system well.

One thing that interests me is that our budget isn't substantially different from County's or St Mirren's and these guys seem happy to make what is a sideways move to another town club which tells me that Motherwell as a club have now got a reputation as a good place to be and somewhere that will enhance people's career - and that's a testament to the stability the club has.

Well that's wrong. The reason you can sign players from us is simple. You offer them more money than we do.

Well that's wrong. The reason you can sign players from us is simple. You offer them more money than we do.

We can't offer players substantially more than St Mirren or County do - it would be an incremental amount, not a life changer. Motherwell are a more attractive option than St Mirren at the moment for a couple of reasons and it would be daft to ignore that. For the sake of argument, if St Mirren and Motherwell both offered a player identical wages, which do you think he would choose at present?

We can't offer players substantially more than St Mirren or County do - it would be an incremental amount, not a life changer. Motherwell are a more attractive option than St Mirren at the moment for a couple of reasons and it would be daft to ignore that. For the sake of argument, if St Mirren and Motherwell both offered a player identical wages, which do you think he would choose at present?

Samson has already said the reason he's not staying is money. We offered him about 1000 a week he thinks he can get around 1500 a week at Motherwell. It's not life changing but it's significantly more.

I'd prefer trying to win this again than getting papped out of Europe at the first round of the qualification stages;

972813-15909723-640-360.jpg

Lawson was utterly gash and looked well out of his depth in the SPL when he was with us. Richard Brittain wasn't great here either.

It's hard to decide whether these guys are actually good players, or just fit into Derek Adams' system well.

How many league games had Lawson played in his career before joining St Mirren on loan, 11? You're judging a player with next to no first team experience, who played four league games for St Mirren, six years ago.

If you want to take such a small sample, you should be judging him on controlling the midfield in the 4-1 win in January in Paisley, his first league start in five months.

I'd prefer trying to win this again than getting papped out of Europe at the first round of the qualification stages;

972813-15909723-640-360.jpg

Oh no - the league cup klaxon! Jesus - I made a reasonably tame comment and it's suddenly a big slight against St Mirren :huh: I can't remember ever slagging St Mirren off on here and I can't see that pointing out that Motherwell are a slightly more attractive option than them at the moment is a big deal - I'm sure most neutrals would agree as it's hardly a controversial statement.

To give one example - If I was a player with a mortgage to pay and I had the choice between a club that has been comfortably finishing mid-table and higher over a sustained period versus one which is highly likely to be involved in relegation playoffs int he near future, then I know where I would be going. Nothing contentious in that surely.

In any case, my point is that it is a positive to see us able to sign SPL players again as that has been a rarity over the past 10 years or so....

I can see it from both sides, I just wanted to brag about being cup holders, we don't get to do it often.

One side; Samson stays where he's guaranteed his place every week, he's treated well by the supporters and well liked around the club, while still on a decent wage, and has the chance to go into a season as a cup holder.

The other side, he's getting an extra £500 a week to play 5 minutes up the road, probably finish higher in the league, and potentially, a decent European tour.

Either way, his period at St Mirren will be the most successful of his career and I think he might look back and regret not staying.

How many league games had Lawson played in his career before joining St Mirren on loan, 11? You're judging a player with next to no first team experience, who played four league games for St Mirren, six years ago.

If you want to take such a small sample, you should be judging him on controlling the midfield in the 4-1 win in January in Paisley, his first league start in five months.

That only backs up my point about him fitting into Adams' system well.

Take the Richard Brittain example, then, he played 40 odd games for us and didn't look anything like the player he is today.

Archived