Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

I think Faddy will do the same as last pre-season - which is keep us as a last resort in the event that he gets no decent offers from elsewhere. For the sake of the longevity of his career, he really needs to focus and have a strong pre-season so that he is physically able to deal with a full season considering he scarcely completed 90 mins over the course of the season. The fact he's in a pretty fragile state will likely mean that his options are more limited than he'd like them to be.

My utterly biased view is that he would be as well to commit to Motherwell in the longer term as he is unlikely to get the same supportive environment elsewhere.

I could be being totally naive here but I don't think we'll have a problem hanging onto him. I've no idea what kind of offers he got last year but I think he'll have even less this time around. The fact that he spent so much of the season injured or unfit means there'll be a lot of teams not wanting to take the risk (like you said) and I think he'll know this now.

I reckon he'll be more than happy to sign up again. If we offer similar terms to this season (and he plays a similar amount of minutes) he might actually be getting the better deal.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My utterly biased view is that he would be as well to commit to Motherwell in the longer term as he is unlikely to get the same supportive environment elsewhere.

Entirely my view as well. His contribution this year has been very hit and miss, yet when he came on at Pittodrie the whole motherwell support got a lift because he's Faddy. He'll always get the time and the patience from us because of who he is, whether he'd get that elsewhere... I'm not so sure.

I think he'll be a Motherwell player from now til he retires, as if what i've heard is true (and it may well not be), he failed his medical during last close season and it's unlikely he'll ever pass one again. We are the only club who would even consider him under those conditions.

Again though...that's if hearsay is true, which it often isn't.

I think he'll be a Motherwell player from now til he retires, as if what i've heard is true (and it may well not be), he failed his medical during last close season and it's unlikely he'll ever pass one again. We are the only club who would even consider him under those conditions.

Again though...that's if hearsay is true, which it often isn't.

I heard that too - even if it's pish, it's well worth repeating to ward off potential offers :)

Great news that McManus has re-signed. A good start and hopefully there's more to come.

That's great news? Mick was good about 6 years ago but there again I suppose it's all relative. Good luck fighting the drop

Twardzik's about to be released by Dundee. Possible return to Motherwell?

I don't know. He was great in the games he played but even Hollis and Neilsen had decent runs at points. Hollis should be leaving in the summer with Gunnar having another year on his deal.

Twardzik is undersized and not great at crosses although he is more confident with the ball at his feet than our current keepers. With the nature of the position I hope there are plenty of options out there with young back ups looking for a step up to being first choice. We should be widening our net and not just signing Dan because he was at the club for a bit.

That's great news? Mick was good about 6 years ago but there again I suppose it's all relative. Good luck fighting the drop

Eh....you know he just played 37 league games for us and we finished second...right?

I think Faddy will do the same as last pre-season - which is keep us as a last resort in the event that he gets no decent offers from elsewhere. For the sake of the longevity of his career, he really needs to focus and have a strong pre-season so that he is physically able to deal with a full season considering he scarcely completed 90 mins over the course of the season. The fact he's in a pretty fragile state will likely mean that his options are more limited than he'd like them to be.

Tin hat on here but i think motherwell would be best puntin faddy. Our first game against yous last season i have never seen such a lacklustre performance at Parkhead since we had Riordan. Yes he wont be on huge wages but you could probably pick up 2 extra players for his wage. Hes showed flashes of brilliance at times Ive seen him on sportscene but his attitude at times to tracking back etc is terrible.

Eh....you know he just played 37 league games for us and we finished second...right?

My apologies. I keep forgetting that we're a European footballing superpower playing in a paddling pool. I wish I could be conversing with my football supporting peers; Barcelona, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc etc etc.

He's great; you're right :rolleyes:

My apologies. I keep forgetting that we're a European footballing superpower playing in a paddling pool. I wish I could be conversing with my football supporting peers; Barcelona, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc etc etc.

He's great; you're right :rolleyes:

:lol:

Hiya Magee!

As for the return of Twardzik, I would hope not, like others have said, we cast our net wider than Dundee's reserve 'keeper.

He did us a turn in December, but the main thing for the majority of our fans was that he wasn't Hollis or Nielsen.

I'd be fairly disappointed if we had all summer to get a goalie and the best we could find was Dan Twardzik.

Tin hat on here but i think motherwell would be best puntin faddy. Our first game against yous last season i have never seen such a lacklustre performance at Parkhead since we had Riordan. Yes he wont be on huge wages but you could probably pick up 2 extra players for his wage. Hes showed flashes of brilliance at times Ive seen him on sportscene but his attitude at times to tracking back etc is terrible.

I understand what you're saying, however, he's worth another deal IMO. Look at last Sunday, we contained Aberdeen for 70 minutes without hardly getting into their half. We brought him on with 20 to go, and despite him not doing a great deal, he gave the players, and especially the fans, a huge lift just for being Faddy. He's not the player he was, but on his day, he's still one of the best players in the league outwith Celtic.

One of the main reasons for the way that we have really stable & consistent over the past 6 or 7 years despite going through 4 managers, Chairman leaving and huge numbers of players is that in guys like Craigan, Lasley, Hammel, Murphy, Hutchy, etc, etc - we have had a core of players who understand the club and have a genuine affection for it. This has made it easier for other players (especially ones that have struggled to settle/establish themselves elsewhere) to fit in and be productive quickly. Faddy simply put, fits into that mold - he's the type of player that the fans identify with and that is a major figure at our club in a way that he would be precisely no-where else - so it's not all about the on-the-park stuff.

In terms of actual playing - since the turn of the year he has been a *bit* fitter and has played well in more games than you'd imagine. The main problem that he's had is that he is actually less fit than he was was when he first re-joined last season - due mainly to a pish pre-season. From my point of view, he is 100% worth another 1 year deal to see if he can get a good preseason in and get back to some sort of fitness as when he is fit, he is a huge asset to us...

Still the goal I enjoyed most in 12/13:

The first game between us last season in October? I'd hope he'd give a lacklustre performance seeing as he wasn't playing :blink:

I think the sun shines out Faddy's arse and he's definately worth another deal, but, if he hums and haws until the deadline looking for a better deal elsewhere we should show him the door.

If he's unwilling to give us the commitment we've given him then his time is up imo.

I think the sun shines out Faddy's a*** and he's definately worth another deal, but, if he hums and haws until the deadline looking for a better deal elsewhere we should show him the door.

If he's unwilling to give us the commitment we've given him then his time is up imo.

^We're tight^

I think the sun shines out Faddy's arse and he's definately worth another deal, but, if he hums and haws until the deadline looking for a better deal elsewhere we should show him the door.

100% agree - unless he's willing to commit soon, then much as everything I said above stands, we need to move on as we've got Europe 2 months tomorrow and need to prepare.

Archived