Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCall said the extra cash would be put aside for January in case we need it then. Same budget for next season, which is good as it's been cut each season for the last few.

As for Jamie McDonald, wouldn't say no. I've still got a sneaky feeling we'll go for Craig Gordon though...

I would aye!

Saw an interview with Hammy earlier where he says he hopes to have the new contract signed in the next couple of weeks.

Be interested to see what happens with the unexpected £240k

Stuart McCall will see none of the cash unless its as a bonus. Part of the cash will also go on player bonuses. Any funds remaining should go towards paying off the modest soft loans or into the reserves for next season.

I think the budget staying stable despite getting pumped out of both cups early and probably losing money on Europe is really good news - agree that we should be using the 2nd place money wisely as it is a bonus - as even Motherwell can't finish 2nd every year :)

Excellent piece of business.

Now, who'll be lining-up alongside him in July? (The 17th of July that is, not the 3rd. We're not shit.)

It will be interesting to see if he fancies Reid or Ramsden in there to replace Hutchy. We are in a position where we have got 3 guys (Ramsden, Reid and Kerr) who can all play right back and centre half, so he may not bring in anyone at all for that position.

I think from those 3 we'd go with Ramsden and i'd be very happy with that as he's a very capable defender and has that bit of level-headedness that Hutchy lacks, plus that leaves Reid at right back (having to leave him out would have been the only downside of Ramsden rightly returning to his usual position, as Reid has been pretty impressive for me) but....and I have no inside info whatsoever...i'm not convinced the Hutch thing is as cut-and-dried as we think.

Very happy with that.

Despite a very high goal against column this season, I think McManus has been very good for us. Some games his class and experience shines through and he's been a rock at the back. In others when we go all out attack and leave the defence exposed he can struggle but I suppose what centre-back wouldn't? Despite having played in front of 3 different keepers and alongside about 5 different right backs and 3 different left backs over the course of the season him and Hutch have still managed to rack up a respectable 11 clean sheets. In fact if we didn't have to play Dundee United and Celtic, who scored roughly half of the goals we conceded this season, we'd have a pretty respectable defensive record!

Anyway it's good to get him signed up early and it shows a positive intent to get business done early this year and not let it drag on like last season. It's a good start and let's hope there's more good news to come and we can get the others tied up shortly.

I'm quietly optimistic that we can keep big Hutch. That extra 250k in prize money could be enough to offer him that deal which McCall said we couldn't really afford to earlier on in the year.

Seeing him celebrating on Sunday showed that he clearly loves the club for a start. There's also a couple of ex-players who left last summer whose moves probably haven't been as brilliant as hoped (one in Poland & one in League One). Pretty sure he's also settled with a Lanarkshire lass, so there's plenty reasons for him to stay.

I've not actually heard of him receiving any offers either, so who knows what other options he'll have. I'm sure many will agree that this hasn't been his best season, and the goals against column doesn't make for great reading either. He might not receive as many (or as good) offers as he might have had this time last year. Fingers crossed anyway!

9910717_400_400_0_0_fit_6_6be8d84967dc75

ETA: :wub:

Superb that we're keeping McManus. Has been a quality signing for us bar a couple of og's.

As stated above, I think Ramsden would be a good player to have alongside him with Reid keeping the right back slot. On the assumption that Hutchy leaves of course which I hope he doesn't.

I'd consider getting Lasley and Hammell signed up as our biggest priority right now but once that's done will be interesting to see what else we can do.

I'm quietly optimistic that we can keep big Hutch.

I'm kind of here as well. He looked a wee bit emotional leaving the field on Sunday, and I've heard a few folk saying that he doesn't actually have any great desire to be elsewhere... I dunno. Maybe, just maybe he'll decide he's happy where he is and stick it out. A new contract and a season of performances closer to his turn out on Sunday and he'd surely be back on the radar for clubs.

Superb that we're keeping McManus. Has been a quality signing for us bar a couple of og's.

As stated above, I think Ramsden would be a good player to have alongside him with Reid keeping the right back slot. On the assumption that Hutchy leaves of course which I hope he doesn't.

I'd consider getting Lasley and Hammell signed up as our biggest priority right now but once that's done will be interesting to see what else we can do.

Was watching the Krasnodar highlights the other day, that OG was a fucking belter :lol:

Maybe he'll be tempted by the fact that we've kept Mick. Looking to sign up Las and Hammy too.

What about Faddy, is he gone?

I think Faddy will do the same as last pre-season - which is keep us as a last resort in the event that he gets no decent offers from elsewhere. For the sake of the longevity of his career, he really needs to focus and have a strong pre-season so that he is physically able to deal with a full season considering he scarcely completed 90 mins over the course of the season. The fact he's in a pretty fragile state will likely mean that his options are more limited than he'd like them to be.

My utterly biased view is that he would be as well to commit to Motherwell in the longer term as he is unlikely to get the same supportive environment elsewhere.

Archived