Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

The club can confirm the following squad changes as of Saturday 1st June 2013.

Leaving the club after their contracts expire on 31st May will be:

• Darren Randolph (Birmingham City)
  • Steven Saunders
  • Nicky Law
  • Omar Daley
  • Steven Hetherington
  • Josh Watt
  • Nicky Devlin

The following players have been / will be offered extended terms with the club:

• Tom Hateley
  • Chris Humphrey
  • Michael Higdon
  • Fraser Kerr
  • James McFadden

The following players loan has expired and will return to their parent club:

• Kallum Higginbotham (Huddersfield Town)

The following Under 20 players have been released:

• Adam Asghar
  • Dominic Green

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The club can confirm the following squad changes as of Saturday 1st June 2013.

Leaving the club after their contracts expire on 31st May will be:

• Darren Randolph (Birmingham City)
  • Steven Saunders
  • Nicky Law
  • Omar Daley
  • Steven Hetherington
  • Josh Watt
  • Nicky Devlin

The following players have been / will be offered extended terms with the club:

• Tom Hateley
  • Chris Humphrey
  • Michael Higdon
  • Fraser Kerr
  • James McFadden

The following players loan has expired and will return to their parent club:

• Kallum Higginbotham (Huddersfield Town)

The following Under 20 players have been released:

• Adam Asghar
  • Dominic Green

Motherwell Football Club would like to sincerely thank all the players who are leaving the club for their efforts whilst at Fir Park and wish them every success in the future careers.

A couple of things in there that seem new:

Daley going (expected but not seen it confirmed before)

Kerr being offered new terms (has that been public before?)

Faddy being offered a new deal (I'm not sure how tempting an offer we can make to him - but I'm delighted to read it!)

You know what?

For the first time I actually really feel bad for the team we're getting a player from.. Quit the guilt trips guy!

Totally. This has never happened. The last SPL players we've signed were Clancy, who Killie fans weren't in the slightest arsed about and Higdon, who was 'shite'.

That's more like it.

Tell us he's shite and he'll be hated by the fans, that's how this is done.

Nope. Football just ain't worth it anymore. Bubye Paul. :bairn

It's the ignorance that hurts the most. McCall wasn't even aware of him before 12-13.

He's like a Scottish Xabi Alonso, but (even) less mobile, more prone to being 'sacked' (to steal a phrase from the NFL) and is scared of headers.

Everything else is wonderful.

Thats what you get for trying to sign Faddy. 8)

I'm always comforted when the other team's fans are sad at someone going - usually we've got to put up with the type of sour grapes "higdon is shite" patter that St Mirren fans were guilty of a couple of years back.

I'm interested to see if McCall reverts back to the shape we had two seasons back with Lawson in the Jennings role - I have a feeling Keith Lasley would be relieved....

I think so, I think McCall must realise we can't possibly be as open next season as we were this season as we're unlikely to have the same attacking quality as this season. We only kept 6 clean sheets this season, which is poor and I think the 2nd lowest in the SPL. In comparison, last season with Jennings and Lasley protecting the back four we had a better balance and we had 15 clean sheets, although we didn't score as many goals that season. This season we've been very, very open and started with four attackers in most games. I think McCall's braced to lose Higdon, Faddy, Humphrey etc. and is trying to build a more rounded team for next season. I mean our approached clearly worked on the whole this season but that was only due to the quality of the attacking players at our disposal which I'm not sure we'll have next season.

If as I expect, the rest of the out of contract players leave then Lawson and Lasley is a good base to start the rebuilding.

When did we last sign a decent Scottish player who didn't originally come through our youth system? only recent ones I can think of haven't made much of an impact- Hollis, Hughes (2nd time) and Gow

Have to disagree with you on Hughes. Thought we got the best of him and he was a fantastic player for us.

Archived