Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawson deal done according to a journo on Twitter:

@TheStaggies midfielder Paul Lawson to join @MotherwellFC next week. Lawson out of contract after Sunday's game against @ICTFC.

Good news, always cautious with Motherwell until its 100% done and dusted though.

Also reported Simon Ramsden's set to sign a new contract. He might not be flashy or as big a name as some out of contract but I felt he really came onto a good game towards the end of the season after a stop start beginning to his Motherwell career after a few niggly injuries.

Good news, always cautious with Motherwell until its 100% done and dusted though.

Also reported Simon Ramsden's set to sign a new contract. He might not be flashy or as big a name as some out of contract but I felt he really came onto a good game towards the end of the season after a stop start beginning to his Motherwell career after a few niggly injuries.

Agree with this.

On another subject, McCall's statement on his own future on the BBC where he says that he hasn't been contacted by Sheffield Utd reads like it's missing a "yet" at the end of that sentence. As these types of rebuttals go - that one is as close to "I'll be off" as you get while keeping it all respectful. It sounds like he is expecting contact to be made by someone at least as he never comes close to saying that he's staying.

It goes without saying that I'll be gutted if/when McCall goes as he's been such a good fit for the club and maybe only behind Mclean in my time - it's honestly surprised me that he hasn't gone before now. I've been sad to see the back of every manager post-Malpas (including Gannon, although that was more of a sense of wasted talent) - and that is better than being glad to see people go. We won't have any shortage of offers to take over and so just as I would with a player who has done us a good turn - he would go with my very best wishes.

Lastly - I was sad to read the (sensationalised) story in the Sun (by the normally excellent Andy Devlin) about Law getting stick on twitter from fans about moving to Rangers. I had a look at his timeline and from what I could see it's very tame stuff (a few celtic fans aside) with almost everyone that mentions them saying something along the lines of "don't go to them, it will be a backwards step", etc. It would be a pity if that was blown out of proportion as he has been one of the most popular players in the team in his time here. If he is guilty of anything, it would be a little naivety in thinking that he could talk openly about joining them (and confirming talks) whilst still a 'Well player without receiving any criticism - it would have been better to stonewall the press talk until after the weekend and then move on.....If the press piece was the idea of the club to allow him to put his side of the story, I feel it's backfired a bit as it's been used a stick to beat the 'well fans with.

No other average SPL players plz. Like, vine is okay, but nah. Higdon was great, Clancy okay, but our strike rate from players down south is far, far higher. Either that or younger guys from below SPL level.

Have Sevco signed that Nicky Clark boy yet? Might be worth a punt, although I'd imagine outwith Sevco he'd have his sights set a little higher than us.

I doubt we'll see a great deal of movement outwith the SPL until the start of June, or whenever it is the transfer window opens.

Good to see we are making fast movement in building for next season, Ramsden signed and now Lawson. Encouraging that we are putting the team together early and not last minute right before Europe.

I get the impression he was highly rated at County - fair comment?

It's the ignorance that hurts the most. McCall wasn't even aware of him before 12-13.

He's like a Scottish Xabi Alonso, but (even) less mobile, more prone to being 'sacked' (to steal a phrase from the NFL) and is scared of headers.

Everything else is wonderful.

I'm always comforted when the other team's fans are sad at someone going - usually we've got to put up with the type of sour grapes "higdon is shite" patter that St Mirren fans were guilty of a couple of years back.

I'm interested to see if McCall reverts back to the shape we had two seasons back with Lawson in the Jennings role - I have a feeling Keith Lasley would be relieved....

Archived