Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

Motherwell are a more attractive offer than StMirren due to the higher league placings ,European football and stability. Finishing 11th 3 times, 10th 3 times and 8th in the last few years is not spectacular.

We are a couple of steps lower just now, we need to find the consistency and mind set to grind out results even if we aren't playing well. Normally you can tell if we are up for it or if we are going to roll over and get our bellies scratched in the first 5 minutes. We need a couple of higher league finishes but by then Rangers will be back in the league.

Motherwell are setting a great example to smaller clubs and how it can be achieved without breaking the bank now.

On the other hand look at Falkirk who went chasing the top 6 dream, handed out a few ridiculously expensive contracts to duds and they are paying for it now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is impossible for a player to improve. Ever. That's why Craig Samson remains shit.

Shame he'll go down as the most successful player to have played for County.

Samson will be decent signing, on relatively low wages. He is prone to the odd blooper but his shot stopping in general is very good!

Paul lawson and Britain were

Terrible for us, but having gus as a manager you can't really blame them. Just shows Adams can clearly get the best out of his players

:lol:

Yep, his 0 Scotland caps and 1 League Cup medal is resulting in County naming a stand after him.

:lol:

When is Samson planning on winning 2 more League Cups, 2 Scottish Cups, 5 SPL's, France's Ligue 1 and something else to put him in the lead?

(That's the most successful player I could think of)

Well that's wrong. The reason you can sign players from us is simple. You offer them more money than we do.

What about the current 25 point difference between the two clubs, the fact that we are usually contesting at the business end of the table, the fact 11th place will potentially be relegated next year and not forgetting its been 30 years since St Mirren ever finished ahead of Motherwell.

Apart from all that, aye the extra £500 a week will probably be nice too!

I would be surprised if Law went to Rangers as at the age he is at now, it would be a poor move - a step backwards when he would be able to get similar money down south and be in the shop window for his next move which he would be hoping would be his "big" move I guess. I've always viewed Law's time in Scotland as a one time deal and my guess would be that only Celtic (who have no interest in him obviously) would be able to change that.

What level do you think Nicky Law can realistically play at week in, week out? Nicky Law is a very good player and has had a very good season but I do think his prowess has been exaggerated by some Motherwell fans. He'll never be a Premiership level player and I can't see him getting a gig at any higher than a mid level Championship club and they won't pay significantly more than Rangers can.

In many ways a move to Rangers is an easy move for him. He doesn't have to relocate, he'll get paid a fair whack to play at a level of football that'll he'll probably excel in and he'll all things considered probably be offered an extension of his contract, on better wages, if he establishes himself there and works his way up the leagues back to the top level in Scotland. Moving down south is potential more rewarding but also potentially more risky.

Most professional footballers, perhaps unlike fans, do not dream of scoring in the European Cup Final in the last minute for their local team. It's a profession to them, they are quite literally 'in it for the money' and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Law goes to Rangers. If he does I predict 4 or 5 coushy years on good money. What's not to like about that?

why would relocating be an issue for law? He is back down south at every opportunity.

If what i've heard about the money murphy and reynolds got from the sheffield clubs is true then law will options that pay far more than rangers should be able to.

Any Motherwell fans heard about Saunders signing for us? Seen the rumour mentioned various times.

Would imagine the only issue about him will be fitness because he's shown he's more than good enough in the SPL.

Any Motherwell fans heard about Saunders signing for us? Seen the rumour mentioned various times.

Would imagine the only issue about him will be fitness because he's shown he's more than good enough in the SPL.

Certainly heard it mentioned. He's going to be a free agent in the summer so it's entirly possible he'll end up there.

It's been rumoured that one of the reason McCall doesn't fancy him is because he sees himself as a right back and McCall disagrees.

I'd be surprised if it's only going to be a matter of fitness for him getting back to the level he was at though. He's had two pretty serious injuries in the past 2 years (achilles and knee ligaments) coming at a crucial time in his development. That only allowed him to make 3 apperances for us in that time. I wish the guy all the best and he deserves a break big time, but I think he's got a lot of work to do.

What about the current 25 point difference between the two clubs, the fact that we are usually contesting at the business end of the table, the fact 11th place will potentially be relegated next year and not forgetting its been 30 years since St Mirren ever finished ahead of Motherwell.

Apart from all that, aye the extra £500 a week will probably be nice too!

This may come as a surprise to you, but players don't care about any of that. They care about money. Had we offered Samson more than the Well, he would have signed for us. Same as Higdon and Sutton. We didn't, so they signed for you.

It's really that simple.

This may come as a surprise to you, but players don't care about any of that. They care about money. Had we offered Samson more than the Well, he would have signed for us. Same as Higdon and Sutton. We didn't, so they signed for you.

It's really that simple.

Find it difficult to disagree with this, sadly. If it was down to 'who was better' or 'who was more attractive', as opposed to the minimal bumps in pay, then we'd still have had Clancy this season.

On the flipside, we might still have been lumbered with Brian Kerr, so, y'know, swings and roundabouts, innit?

Seeming deals for Paul Lawson from Ross County and St Mirren's Craig Samson. Samson's clearly not as good as Randolph but then again who is? Not seen much of Lawson but County fans rate him highly. Interestingly Samson and Randolph both played together at Hereford before they came to the SPL.

It's really that simple.

Yes they do. Money come into it but if Team A were in 2nd place and offered the same as Team B who were second bottom it's obviously going to affect their decision.

Yes they do. Money come into it but if Team A were in 2nd place and offered the same as Team B who were second bottom it's obviously going to affect their decision.

Agree here. Money has a major impact but club size ie fanbase, facilities come into it aswell, same as league positions etc.

Find it difficult to disagree with this, sadly. If it was down to 'who was better' or 'who was more attractive', as opposed to the minimal bumps in pay, then we'd still have had Clancy this season.

On the flipside, we might still have been lumbered with Brian Kerr, so, y'know, swings and roundabouts, innit?

Hibs are bigger than us, and can pay more money.

We are not bigger than St Mirren, only better. And because we are better, we can pay more money

It's really that simple.

Thats too simplistic I'm afraid.

The reason we can pay slightly more than St Mirren is because we are a better team which brings with it better financial rewards for the club which is then passed on to the players through wages and bonuses.

Yes, we can pay more, but only because we are so good. Given that we have similar sized supports, and are both disadvantaged by the proximity of the old firm, if we were consistently labouring at the arse end of the SPL I would expect the wages we could offer players to be the same as St Mirren.

It's really that simple.

Obviously most players would rather stay at their current team if they were being offered the exact same money but if the player was at an entirely different club (for example, when Higdon was at Falkirk) and us and St Mirren offered the exact same wages, I bet they would pick us.

Archived