Let's All Laugh At Celtic Thread

Was pretty sure I read this around about the time the story broke. I get most of my sports news on the Sporting Life site... and of course, Pie and Bovril :D

Ah right, well until I get a credible source that says Celtic can unilaterally (or in conjunction with Legia) circumvent Uefa's rules I'll assume that Uefa make the decisions. Legia had no right appealing to us, we have nothing to do with it, they broke Uefa's rules.

I feel sorry for the Poles, however they made an arse of it no one else

Edited by LordHawHaw

I'd love to see the rest catch up and push us ... when ICT were level pegging it was great. So your assertion I don't is bollix.

I simply have no desire to see Celtic go further backwards than we already have, simply to allow you to achieve that aim .. it is not a viable option.

That our differences cannot be reconciled doesn't alter the facts.

But it's impossible for that catch up to just happen.

You like it this way - it's clear.

It sounds bloody tedious and unfulfilling to me, but each to their own.

But it's impossible for that catch up to just happen.

You like it this way - it's clear.

It sounds bloody tedious and unfulfilling to me, but each to their own.

I think a lot of Celtic fans find the lack of competition domestically tedious too - that's why their average home league attendance last year dropped to about 55,000.

What was Celtics strongest 11 last season?

IMO

Forster

Lustig Van Dijk Ambrose Izzy

Brown Johnasen(Replaced Ledley) Biton/Mulgrew

Griffiths Stokes Commons

Edited by hoopy1967

What on earth do Wigan and Man United have to do with anything? You seem to be losing the plot a bit.

I think he's attempting to prove that colossal financial advantages don't count for anything in Cups.

That's probably why East Stirlingshire keep winning the damn things.

So no samaras or Matthews?

So that's ONE "key" player missing for the Morton game then :lol:

Thank f**k for the champions league, eh? How else would Morton have won....

Samaras was rarely played as Lennon couldn't be arsed negotiating a new contract with him and knew he was leaving. Matthews only really played when Lustig was injured

Has Johansson made such a big impression in his short time at Celtic? I'll have to watch out for him as I genuinely only really heard of him this pre season.

I think he looks a good player, hopefully he'll keep improving this year

It's why Aberdeen beat us .. one-off game; A good team, fit well organised with a game-plan always has a chance. Cup games are renowned for giant-killing acts .. to pretend otherwise is disingenuous in the extreme Mhonkey, But we know you love to ignore the facts.

Oh woe is us ... it's calamitous so it is ... sob sob !!

Any world class team can have a really off day !, just ask the newest and biggest of all diddy nations Brazil. :whistle 7 nil ffs before they scored a consolation :lol:

Sometimes it does not matter how much talent or strength in depth a squad has if the opposition are up for it from the word go and throw a real shocker of a result into the mixer. Many a giant has fallen fowl and I'm sure last season an EPL side got humped out of the FA cup by a non league side. :)

The bigger they are the harder they fall and the bigger the humiliation that goes with it.

So, outwith Foster, it was pretty much your starting line up that was playing when Morten went 1 up?

Let's face it Celtic could have fielded the under 21's and would have still been expected to win the tie, the fact that Morton went one nil up effectively fucked up Celtic's game plan. The overpaid duds on the night must have thought this was just another routine win.

Morton held out defensively and Celtic couldn't find the target to even stay in the tie by equalising and looked a desperate side at the end.

Morton wanted the win and Celtic showed up thinking they had already won.

Shame Morton never went on to win the cup though. :(

Let's face it Celtic could have fielded the under 21's and would have still been expected to win the tie, the fact that Morton went one nil up effectively fucked up Celtic's game plan.

Morton only took the lead in extra-time.

Explain this game plan of Celtic's to me.

Our resident bhoys are giving Bennett a run for his 'ignorant fool' money with their errors here.

It's hard to tell, but I think there's an attempt to suggest that because you get occasional Cup shocks, you can't say that wealth gives clubs an advantage in Cup competitions.

I'm not sure though because that's a position so absurd that no creationist would want any part of it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Big teams beat wee teams in cup games far more often than wee teams beat big teams. Kind of similar in league matches too. I wonder why this could be?

Holding up the odd cup upset as proof of anything that argues against this is the preserve of a simpleton imo

You upset a big team in the cup they are out ? Therefore the big team cannot win the cup .... which would make the CL monies irrelevant to Celtic winning cups ... which is the point. What's hard to follow, unless you have not read the OP ridiculous statement?

Celtic win cup games and by extension cups far more regularly and consistently then any other team. Is there any chance this might be due to them getting more money than other teams and therefore being able o buy better players? I'm thinking yes

Regardless of CL monies they will always have more money and be able to buy better players ... really failing to see how it changes anything. The league will always be won and it will fall to a team to perform on the day to put us out of a cup .. Nobody has argued against the fact it benefits us .. but it changes nothing in real terms. Any benefit in the cups is balanced by the fact we will field a weakened side as we did with Morton ...

Calamitous ... aye right ye are.

So an extra 18.5 mil on top of the gap that already exists changes nothing in real terms because once in a blue moon you rest a couple of players from your squad full of internationals, and in a minuscule proportion of those games you lose?

Not sure if serious.

What other examples can you give of Celtic losing in cups due to fielding a weakened squad due to the champions league that offset this meaningless 18 odd million?